Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

08 25/30 mph weird shifting auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:43 AM

Default 08 25/30 mph weird shifting auto

So I'm driving my new to me xb today, with 72k, heading down to the carwash to wash off the extra crap left in the engine bay from the detailer. Long story short speed limit in my neighboorhood neighborhood is right at 35mph. So I'm cruising along and at 1500 ish rpm the trans starts pulsing like its trying to downshift and stay in the gear all at the same time. It does this like three times in a row so I throw the lever in 3rd and it goes away.

I get to the car wash with no more problems after I shift back into D. I open the bay and check the AT fluid and its overfilled all the way up to the WS mark on the stick. I check the oil and it is also overfilled.

Going home I put it on cruise at 35mph and no problems at all.

I'm starting to get worried since I put 180 miles on it already and it was just at the dealer today to get the water pump replaced and they said they did a complete check of the systems while it was in....

I don't plan on driving it until the fluids are changed, hopefully at said dealer, but do you think that it being overfilled could have hurt the trans this early in the game? If not what do you think the weird shifting was all about?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 AM

Scion xb
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How did you check the AF fluid? Always check with the car is hot and running. Otherwise you will always get an over-fill reading.

Oil is OK if slightly overfilled. But if it is significant than that could be an issue with seals and such.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 PM

Initially I forgot about having the engine running before and I rechecked and it was still overfilled by about a 1/8th of a inch or so.

Took it in and they drained the fluid down to the right levels both in the oil and trans. Heck even the brake fluid was overfilled but all of those issues have been fixed.

Now when I drive it slowly (25mph) it pulses as it down shifts from 3rd to 2nd multiple times like its twitching or something unless I increase speed or decrease. Sometimes it happens sometimes it dont. I'm hoping this is just a natural quirk of this transmission, at least I keep telling myself so...