Notices
Scion FR-S Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Honest FR-S evaulation

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Default Honest FR-S evaulation

Ok, I own a 05 TC, one of the best cars I have ever had, power, good looks, tows jet ski and 1800 lb trailer,. I went to a dealer and drove a FR-
S with a salesman on board, never got over 3500 rpm and was not impressed with the car. Handling was great but it lacked the grunt my TC has.

One question is, do you have to reallly turn up in the RPM's? With less displacement, the lower end torque is just not there.

Once you as a owner has had a chance to drive this car, is it really as much fun to drive as a TC?

I am not bashing here, just would like some opinions before I buy this thing instead of another TC.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:20 PM

the 86 really is not happy until you get up to about 4.5-5k rpm.

Name:  0612131334_zps9680348d.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  77.2 KB

as you can see from the dyno sheet (when mine was stock), there's a torque dip, and it really feels like the car is struggling at lower RPM.

Once you're in the sweet spot for the car, it'll get up and go pretty well, but they're not designed for speed, more for handling/being a driver's car.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 PM

Having just test driven an automatic at a local dealership yesterday (last manual sold just before I got there), I noticed it's a little less torquey than my 05 tC. It picks up in the higher rpms, around 3.5-4k, but after that it picks up significantly.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The FR-S does have less torque, but more HP. It is not a fast car in the straight line. The FR-S is all about technical driving and keeping momemtum. It is 100X sportier than the tC. I have owned 3 tCs and now an FR-S and the FR-S is much more of a "drivers" car.

If you want to move fast in a straight line, buy a Mustang. If you want to drive, buy an FR-S.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Huffy044
Ok, I own a 05 TC, one of the best cars I have ever had, power, good looks, tows jet ski and 1800 lb trailer,. I went to a dealer and drove a FR-
S with a salesman on board, never got over 3500 rpm and was not impressed with the car. Handling was great but it lacked the grunt my TC has.

One question is, do you have to reallly turn up in the RPM's? With less displacement, the lower end torque is just not there.

Once you as a owner has had a chance to drive this car, is it really as much fun to drive as a TC?

I am not bashing here, just would like some opinions before I buy this thing instead of another TC.
You have to drive this car to extract power.. Most of the torque is available down low.. But the fun begins at 5k rpms and up. It's no tq monster.. But it's not slow at 6.2 seconds to 60.. You have to work the gears and throttle .. U have to drive this car.. It's part of the fun.. The throttle is crisp thanks to the 12.5:1 compression ratio.. The cars balance of power and handling all come together.. It takes time to appreciate it.. You don't get that from just a test drive.. After a few months of driving it.. I am completely pleased with the stock power.. Getting better too with more miles..
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM

My test drive I was gunning it to 6k rpm and the salesman didn't say a thing he just smiling. I know the area and there a nice twisty back road . I didn't ask the sales man I just drove there and for the 3 mile twistie that's where the 86 shines. Even the saleman didn't know how good the car is until I took it there. I was completely sold after that drive so I got a fire storm ;). I then went back the next week to drop off some paper work and saw the same saleman. He ended up buying a white out the following day I bought mine.
I already took it to sonoma race track and many twistie road and I gotta say , 86 is a great beginner track car that you can hone your skills and for the backroads its nothing short of amazing.
I only wish there's 20-40 more hp/tq as it was struggling going uphill thats where the mods come in ;)
Old 07-19-2013, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by 07jazzrs5gt86
I already took it to sonoma race track and many twistie road and I gotta say , 86 is a great beginner track car that you can hone your skills and for the backroads its nothing short of amazing.
I only wish there's 20-40 more hp/tq as it was struggling going uphill thats where the mods come in ;)
QFT. 200whp at the wheels helped a hell of a lot. and now that i'm at about 250whp, she's really come alive. if you were anywhere near Charlotte, I'd gladly take you for a ride and show you.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by FRS_Goose
QFT. 200whp at the wheels helped a hell of a lot. and now that i'm at about 250whp, she's really come alive. if you were anywhere near Charlotte, I'd gladly take you for a ride and show you.
What mods you have to get 250whp? Are you fi or using e85?
My current setup is apexi drop in and trd exhaust. Planning on getting a tune. Still haven't make up my mind yet but I'm leaning toward unichip. Unijack is having a great deal on it this month.
Still waiting for more headers to be available but i really like the gains on nameless el header.
I'm in reno NV and they have plenty of twistie roads.
Really appreciate your offer
Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by 07jazzrs5gt86
What mods you have to get 250whp? Are you fi or using e85?
I went with the Innovate supercharger. Here's my build thread (dyno sheets, pics of the parts, etc...)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40850

She really came alive at 200, but now? holy crap she feels like a whole different car.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks for responding!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive been driving a turbo tC for years (almost 5 yrs) and the FR-S is WAY funner to me.
It may just be the new car factor, but Im loving it more with each drive.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:58 PM

P and l header eliminates torque dip and with visconti tune I've seen 5.7 0-60 with hard launch. Will go with perrin tune for 3 inch intake next. Thesecars are not slow. U just have to drive them.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 AM

Default still waiting

Originally Posted by fredfromnh
P and l header eliminates torque dip and with visconti tune I've seen 5.7 0-60 with hard launch. Will go with perrin tune for 3 inch intake next. Thesecars are not slow. U just have to drive them.
Still waiting to get my car back. Took it there with a misfire, they replaced the coil and it grenaded. Gonna have to sell my p&l header and will probably go with electric supercharger, tune and leave it at that.