Notices
Scion FR-S Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Question

Anybody have a modded frs with 25k or more on it. Mine grenaded with 24900. New short block etc. I'm wondering about long term reliability and the effect of non factory afrs, torque tables etc. I will probably not reinstall p&l header, unless I can get custom tune. Would like ur input.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang. What happened that you "grenaded" it?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Dang. What happened that you "grenaded" it?
Stuck valves in cyl#4. Blew rockers off and rounded cam lobes. Somehow Toyota decided to replace short block. Maybe cylinder wall damage? Service rep told me to stay away fromlight weight crank pulleys. Toyota has been very good about it so far.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most car companies aren't going to risk a second engine failure on a dealership mechanic rebuilding it, likely because of lemon laws relating to length of downtime and if the vehicle experiences a second similar failure.

Probably just a manufacturer defect, they happen.

How modded are you talking about? regular bolt ons like intake exhaust and header aren't going to have a dramtic affect on the a/f ratio, the factory ecu will compensate on it's own. Tuning will optimize the engine, and will help minimize the torque dip and free up top end horsepower, but it won't have a huge impact on torque.

forced induction on the otherhand will have a huge impact, but still tuning should put the a/f ratio where it needs to be.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
most car companies aren't going to risk a second engine failure on a dealership mechanic rebuilding it, likely because of lemon laws relating to length of downtime and if the vehicle experiences a second similar failure.

Probably just a manufacturer defect, they happen.

How modded are you talking about? regular bolt ons like intake exhaust and header aren't going to have a dramtic affect on the a/f ratio, the factory ecu will compensate on it's own. Tuning will optimize the engine, and will help minimize the torque dip and free up top end horsepower, but it won't have a huge impact on torque.

forced induction on the otherhand will have a huge impact, but still tuning should put the a/f ratio where it needs to be.
I'm just wondering about how solid the original design is. I haven't seen any forum posts with any substantial mileage reported and I put a lot of miles on my vehicles. My car had the dip tuned out of it. The header worked perfect. It was under 6 seconds to 60. It seemed like Toyota was awful quick to replace the block. The car wasn't running horribly when I dropped it off unless they run good on 3 cyls.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by fredfromnh
I'm just wondering about how solid the original design is. I haven't seen any forum posts with any substantial mileage reported and I put a lot of miles on my vehicles. My car had the dip tuned out of it. The header worked perfect. It was under 6 seconds to 60. It seemed like Toyota was awful quick to replace the block. The car wasn't running horribly when I dropped it off unless they run good on 3 cyls.
Also, the stock tune will claw back any decent gains from bolt ons thanx to the factory torque tables.