Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member

Yea BMW's have a mpG gauge which is a whole lot smaerter IMHO

Max
Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's hilarious. i wonder how many people are like me. i'd get annoyed and start driving faster just to make the stupid thing turn off.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
Originally Posted by MoScion
The light should turn on if I am not driving economically, a light that is always on would get annoying.
thats what this does
:D
.... No, not according to the post above read it again, carefully this time "when you’re driving most efficiently, an eco lamp lights up on the dashboard. Hitting the pedal with a lead foot will turn it off."

I think the light should work the opposite way if I am driving economically turn it off, not on and if I am driving with a lead food turn it on, not off. I have no incentive to keep a light on, I do have an incentive to keep it off because it will not annoy me.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gentlemen, you can get a scanner guage tool to read the mpg already on your odb2 fuel injected car or truck as is, including the scions. A good indicator is the vacuum reading frm the map or a vacuum meter. Just an FYI.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:56 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
Gentlemen, you can get a scanner guage tool to read the mpg already on your odb2 fuel injected car or truck as is, including the scions. A good indicator is the vacuum reading frm the map or a vacuum meter. Just an FYI.
as in a scangaugeII
Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM

My 98 Jeep Cherokee has an MPG meter in the overhead computer. Unfortunately, living in the mountains, it frequently drops down into the single digits.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as its not uphill both directions, you should be able to make it up, unless you floor it on the way up. With odb2 fuel systems and no throttle input it should cut off the injectors if the rpms are over 1700, meaning you would need to upshift and use the engine as a brake. As for going up, you are going to need to rev the engine near its power band area and likely have it a gear higher or two and possibility a lower speed. For best fuel economy you need to let the car do the work, not force it.

Originally Posted by VZV21
My 98 Jeep Cherokee has an MPG meter in the overhead computer. Unfortunately, living in the mountains, it frequently drops down into the single digits.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This just reminded me of the time I rented a Chevy Cobalt and floored it everywhere I went and when the mileage was better than 15MPGs I would two foot it (one foot brake one foot gas). I would drive around with my left foot on the brakes until the transmission got too hot and then I would ease off the brakes a little. I am surprised that the car wasn't smoking when I returned it.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive bem slightly less agressive with my xa than you were with the colbolt and still managed 32mpg. Boy is this car easy to squeal tires. Sofar twice now, 32 has beenmy worse tank. The other time it was over 100 degrees out and was backed up in traffic on i295 one way for an accident, then the next day when an egg truck over turned.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

I would do everything in my power to keep that light off with out taking off the bulb. It is nothing more than a marketing "were green" gimick. If they really wanted people to monitor thier driving they could put a little indicator that tells them thier current MPG. The fact that is says "eco" to me makes is stupid.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd prefer a button(s) that self-adjusts modes much like different EQ settings on a audio system work. Similar also to the SSP xA, xB, and tC modes on the radio in Scions that set it's pre-configured parameters, I think a "eco" button(s) would put ur car into gas saving mode which no matter how heavy the foot is it would already be limited to the maximum "eco" setting. Than sure an eco light on the dash indicating it's in gas save mode would be beneficial (make it a green light Toyota).

Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
Ive been slightly less aggressive with my xa than you were with the colbolt and still managed 32mpg. Boy is this car easy to squeal tires. Sofar twice now, 32 has beenmy worse tank. The other time it was over 100 degrees out and was backed up in traffic on i295 one way for an accident, then the next day when an egg truck over turned.

When I ran it on the freeway with average driving I got 40 MPG's. The Cobalt is a nice car for fuel economy and a hell of a lot faster than my XB.

I now wish I could get better than 26MPG's out of the XB. No Luck so far.

Believe or not the hotter air gives better fuel economy. Cold air just kills the mileage.

I could drive to Vegas is 100+ degree weather during the middle of the day and get over 32 MPGs doing 85-90MPH the whole way with the air conditioning on. On the way back during the night when it less than 70 degrees and I could manage no more than 26 MPGs with no air conditioning.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

XBMutha, I agree, the system leans the fuel minture. I know a guy with a snap on programmer and has offered to alt the fuel profile to make it run leaner tha nnormal as is. If you visit gas savers . org website they talk about using dryer duct to grab air from the exhaust manifole to the intake. Surel ess power, but more fuel economy.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:02 AM

i dont think id really care for an eco light in my dash. now a shift light on the other hand (like the ones on a drag car) would be more fitting. i really dont care if im only pushin just over 100hp, the thought of my car telling me im driving like my grandmother is rather humiliating. weather its gas or bio diesel i dont care i just wanna get to the next stoplight first.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM

Ever play the hybrid game to see how much gas mileage you can get? It is sometimes more entertaining than taking a 600hp Supra out on the open road. No, I'm sorry Supra there is no way that statement can be true. It is fun although and at the end the car tells you Excellent!!! on the screen like a videogame.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have something like this on the dump truck i drive. it has an LCD screen on the gauge cluster, and when you're driving efficiently the bottom corner lights up with $$. Pretty helpful for a truck that only gets 5-7 MPG...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Originally Posted by Metro273
I think this "eco" light is a good idea especially for some of us with a heavy foot...
a heavy foot, but still MPG minded...I know how you feel...I usually get about 26-28mpg