Register Forgot Password?

Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Old 09-10-2004, 03:01 AM   #1
5 Year Member
SL Member

Harman 39/M

Default Clutch adjustment

I brought my tC to the dealership asking them to adjust my clutch's position. I don't like the high catch point of the clucth so I asked them to lower it to the middle. However, they told me the clutch is unadjustable. I was surprised because I know usually it can be adjusted.

I am wondering if any of you have had your clutch adjusted. Do you think the dealership BS me?
Harman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:10 AM   #2
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rivulent 27/M

Send a message via AIM to Rivulent Send a message via MSN to Rivulent

I don't believe you can adjust the catch point of a hydrolic clutch actuater. Not positive.. but you can't just adjust?
Clifford RSX 3.5 w/ Remote Start | limo tint | blue/red gauges | TRD Lowering Springs | OBX ****/pedals | Leather-wrapped center armrest | HIDs | Hyper white Parking Lights/dome lights | Kenwood DDX 7017 | Coustic 10"
Rivulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution
hahaitzskippy 29/M

Send a message via AIM to hahaitzskippy Send a message via MSN to hahaitzskippy

ya i dunt tink you can adjust hydrulic or however u spell it clutches.
im boaut 55% sure you cant
hahaitzskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
5 Year Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution

ImBack 38/M

Default I don't know...

I don't know the specifics of the Tc clutch, but most clutch systems in cars are cable rather than hydraulic. In a former Mazda pickup that I had (when they were Mazda's not Fords) it had a hydraulic clutch. On that clutch I was able to adjust freeplay at the pedal (Some you adjust at the clutch slave). Take a look under the dash at where your clutch pedal reaches a hinge. If you see the clutch push bar with adjustment nuts on it (Usually a piece is intersecting the pushbar I believe it's called a crossover), I think it would be possible to adjust the freeplay. Most cable clutches can be adjusted with similar adjusting and locking nuts at the cable. I can't say anything for the Tc design as I haven't looked that closely at one. Of course I don't necessarily like the feel of the clutch in the xA either, but I've gotten used to it I guess (clutch releases toward the very top ever since I got it, also very soft clutch).
2006 RS 3.0 Green Envy xB #798
Departed- 2004 xA, Polar White, 5Spd
USN Retired
ImBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #5
5 Year Member
SL Member

Harman 39/M

Default Re: I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaGuyDE
I don't know the specifics of the Tc clutch, but most clutch systems in cars are cable rather than hydraulic. In a former Mazda pickup that I had (when they were Mazda's not Fords) it had a hydraulic clutch. On that clutch I was able to adjust freeplay at the pedal (Some you adjust at the clutch slave). Take a look under the dash at where your clutch pedal reaches a hinge. If you see the clutch push bar with adjustment nuts on it (Usually a piece is intersecting the pushbar I believe it's called a crossover), I think it would be possible to adjust the freeplay. Most cable clutches can be adjusted with similar adjusting and locking nuts at the cable. I can't say anything for the Tc design as I haven't looked that closely at one. Of course I don't necessarily like the feel of the clutch in the xA either, but I've gotten used to it I guess (clutch releases toward the very top ever since I got it, also very soft clutch).
Thanks! I'll check it out after work.
Harman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:06 PM   #6
5 Year Member
SL Member
zizi 114/M

Why does it seem like everyones clutch catch point is different? some are near the floor, some are midway and some are at the top? What causes these big differences in a non adjustable clutch?
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:56 PM   #7
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rivulent 27/M

Send a message via AIM to Rivulent Send a message via MSN to Rivulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizi
Why does it seem like everyones clutch catch point is different? some are near the floor, some are midway and some are at the top? What causes these big differences in a non adjustable clutch?
I think it has a lot to do with the person too. Remember on the internet take all comments with a grain of salt for the most part. Some may be having problems that is their own fault, some may just have something defective, etc. etc.
Clifford RSX 3.5 w/ Remote Start | limo tint | blue/red gauges | TRD Lowering Springs | OBX ****/pedals | Leather-wrapped center armrest | HIDs | Hyper white Parking Lights/dome lights | Kenwood DDX 7017 | Coustic 10"
Rivulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:13 PM   #8
5 Year Member
SL Member

JasonH 39/M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivulent
I think it has a lot to do with the person too. Remember on the internet take all comments with a grain of salt for the most part.
Exactly. I've owned and driven a bunch of cars and I would say the tC's catch point is around the middle. I've driven cars with ultra-stiff clutches with ultra-low catch points, and other cars with ultra-light clutches that you could barely breathe on and they'd disengage. I'm guessing all the tCs are pretty close, trying to judge whether the clutch catches at 50% or 80% of pedal travel is tough to do without measuring.
JasonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:41 AM   #9
mo2
5 Year Member
mo2

Send a message via MSN to mo2

all cars have a differnt clutch catch point even those of the same year. it could be a thousands of an inch anywhere inbetween the cluch and the trannie. i worked at a dealership and and you just deal with it.
mo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:15 PM   #10
5 Year Member
bwhyit

No cable and No adjustment. There probably is a free play adjustment but it sould be set to spec and not changed. If you alter this adjustment then you will not get complete disengage af the clutch with the pedal down. This could cause syncro wear and we don't want that.
bwhyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Scionlife.com
Scion TC

Paid Advertisement

Tags
09, 2004, adjust, adjustment, cable, catch, catchpoint, clutch, hydraulic, pedal, polar, scion, scionlife, tc, xb