Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch engages but, won't go into gear. Plus other issues..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member

Question Clutch engages but, won't go into gear. Plus other issues..

I bought an 2006 Scion tC 5-spd back in November and already almost spent more than paid for the car within the past 6 months. Would been better if bought it brand new, lol.

Anyways, I just came along another issue with it yesterday. Hopefully someone could give me a few suggestions what it could be.

Problems Noticed:

* Clutch seems to engaged but, it won't go in any gear. (Even with the engine off.)

* It was currently stuck in "R" for awhile, then fooled around with it and did managed to get it back in Neutral w/o forcing it in.

*Drove it in First gear all the way back to the driveway. When I tried putting it in Neutral, it slipped into Reverse.

* Also, noticed when I went to park the car, the engine stalls (even when the clutch is engaged...)

* When tried starting the engine back up, Car Lounges forward at the same time when starting it.......

Some say it's the clutch, some say it could be one of the Shift Cables/Linkages.

I drive Stick Shifts for a few years now and never had these problems with clutches before. The clutch doesn't seem burned-out, I don't smell anything from the clutch. I did bought the clutch kit yesterday and already getting an mechanic to install it this week. However, the flywheel
and Shift cables/or Linkages I couldn't buy. According to Advanced Auto Parts and AutoZone, those parts are "manufactured" they can't bring it up on their systems... So, where else could I go to purchase the flywheel and Shift Link cables w/o it being too expensive??

Not sure if any of this makes sense but, any feedbacks would be appreciated. Thanks

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-22-2021 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-05-2015, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even if you have issues with shift cables or linkages, that would have no bearing whatsoever on the car lurching forward when trying to start with the clutch pedal fully depressed. You either have a clutch issue, or a clutch hydraulic problem. Have someone work the pedal while you look at the slave cylinder at the front of the engiine where it joins the trans. Make sure it's moving (extending out as someone presses the clutch). Also, check the master cylinder for leaks, both inside and outside the car, as well as the reservoir.

If it's none of those, the only really left is the clutch disk and/or pressure plate.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member

Question

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
Even if you have issues with shift cables or linkages, that would have no bearing whatsoever on the car lurching forward when trying to start with the clutch pedal fully depressed. You either have a clutch issue, or a clutch hydraulic problem. Have someone work the pedal while you look at the slave cylinder at the front of the engiine where it joins the trans. Make sure it's moving (extending out as someone presses the clutch). Also, check the master cylinder for leaks, both inside and outside the car, as well as the reservoir.

If it's none of those, the only really left is the clutch disk and/or pressure plate.
A mechanic did came to the house earlier and checked those methods. We didn't see any hydraulic leaks anywhere, the reservoir was still at max level. The Slave cylinder moves freely w/o problems according to the mechanic. Although the clutch pedal feels tight when engaging.

With that said...when I bought the car, shifting gears has always been tight. To me, I don't think this is normal. Most stick shifts I drive are in Big-Rigs (10-21spds) and shifting in gears is somewhat relaxing but, the Scion shifting is somewhat tighter to change gears. Do you know why that is, by any chance?

Last edited by WRX1316_TcVicent; 08-06-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: had to add a word or two
Old 08-06-2015, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To me the only thing left is the clutch components, pressure plate, disk, throw out bearing and clutch fork. Also, if the MC was changed at any point, it can sometimes need adjustment of the push-rod to dial out "dead" play so it immediately actuates the hydraulic system.

As far as hard shifting goes, it could be many things, but a good start would be to change the fluid to a good Gl-4, like Redline or similar. I'd stay away from GL-5 oils as there is some speculation that it may lead to corrosion of the brass synchros. Try the fluid first. It's the cheapest and easiest option.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:32 PM

Cool 2006 Scion tC Clutch...

I have a 06 Scion tC the clutch went out around 104,000 miles got a shop to put a new one in now when I drive it.
I have to push the clutch all the way to the floor every time I shift gears the other clutch.

I didn't have to do that anyone know what's wrong?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-22-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:06 PM
SL Member

I'm having the same problems slaves new clutch masters fine I hold clutch all the way down and put it in to second it'll make a clunk noise not loud just like something's hitting below me.