Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS - Front Speakers not working HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS - Front Speakers not working HELP!

Hey guys, I recently installed this into my car and installing was easy... or so I thought. I was driving to work today and noticed that only the highs and mids were working on the front doors, not the lowest ones. I used a Metra kit from Fry's that had two wiring harnesses, but when I took the stock radio out I noticed there were more than two wiring harnesses. So I just matched the kit with the harnesses that fit and shoved the other ones that I didn't use into the back. (I didn't get anything for steering wheel controls yet).

Did I miss something obvious or did I buy the wrong wiring kit? And does anyone have an diagram of the rear stock Pioneer headunit that shows what plug is what?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

IIRC u need to make sure the amp wire (blue i think) is wired in correctly

if there is no power going to the amp wire, the amp wont turn on...if the amp wont turn on the lower speakers wont turn on (those speakers are specifically powered by the stock amp)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
IIRC u need to make sure the amp wire (blue i think) is wired in correctly

if there is no power going to the amp wire, the amp wont turn on...if the amp wont turn on the lower speakers wont turn on (those speakers are specifically powered by the stock amp)
I thought the blue wire on the factory harness is for the Vehicle Speed Sensor? I know the harness for the new Pioneer HU has an amp turn on wire, would I connect that to the amp wire (whatever color it is) for the stock speakers?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

to be honest i don't know 100% ur assumption sounds right, but again its been a while and i dont remember

its been brought up before, so if u do some digging (searching) on the forum u should be able to find the solution
Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

connect the amp turn on wire from the pioneer to the blue amp turn on wire in the vehicle harness, blue on the vehicle side IS vss, but your aftermarket harness blue wire needs to be powered

the bottom woofers in the front doors are the only thing that is amplified in our vehicle, since your not turning that amp on, they wont play

btw i have the same radio, got it through my work at dealer cost, decent unit... few things i dont like about it but eh oh well.. good unit nonetheless
Old 04-23-2013, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks you guys for all the help! Yeah, the blue wire wasn't connected, but it worked out because the bypass wire I ordered came in today. My mistake. I'm still new at this modding thing.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buco702
Thanks you guys for all the help! Yeah, the blue wire wasn't connected, but it worked out because the bypass wire I ordered came in today. My mistake. I'm still new at this modding thing.
Havingnthe same issue. Do you have the link for the bypass wire?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fatty_gen2
Having the same issue. Do you have the link for the bypass wire?
Here's the link for the Bypass Wire. I'm not sure if you have the same HU or if it will work with other HUs.

For installing the bypass wire:

Black: connect to the same ground as the HU.
Green: connect to the parking brake wire from the HU.
Blue: connect (along with the blue wire from the HU) to the blue wire on wiring harness.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buco702
Here's the link for the Bypass Wire. I'm not sure if you have the same HU or if it will work with other HUs.

For installing the bypass wire:

Black: connect to the same ground as the HU.
Green: connect to the parking brake wire from the HU.
Blue: connect (along with the blue wire from the HU) to the blue wire on wiring harness.
^^ also once u connect the green bypass wire to the green HU wire...DO NOT CONNECT TO THE green parking brake wire of the car
Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member

just a heads up, the new pioneer units require you to pull the parking break up twice in order to watch a dvd, so when you hook up the bypass transistor, in order to get it to work just turn the radio off (radio off, not car off) and turn it back on. When you turn the radio off it will stop power to the remote wire turning off the transistor and when you turn it back on it will power up the transistor again, thus simulating engaging the parking break twice.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by punch10001
just a heads up, the new pioneer units require you to pull the parking break up twice in order to watch a dvd, so when you hook up the bypass transistor, in order to get it to work just turn the radio off (radio off, not car off) and turn it back on. When you turn the radio off it will stop power to the remote wire turning off the transistor and when you turn it back on it will power up the transistor again, thus simulating engaging the parking break twice.

its still only one, but the reason you cant just use a relay with the amp turn on wire as a trigger is because on the newer model, the amp turn on wire turns on before the actual unit its self, if you wire a switch to ground and the parking brake, turn the radio on, wait 4 seconds after the display turns on, flip the switch once, one time and it'll bypass it.. dont need to twice..manual says to but it only needs to see it once
Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The bypass wire that I have works perfectly fine. I don't need to turn off the radio and then turn it back on or anything else. I just start my car, insert a DVD (if I'm going to watch one), and it automatically plays.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeAlLsTaR13
its still only one, but the reason you cant just use a relay with the amp turn on wire as a trigger is because on the newer model, the amp turn on wire turns on before the actual unit its self, if you wire a switch to ground and the parking brake, turn the radio on, wait 4 seconds after the display turns on, flip the switch once, one time and it'll bypass it.. dont need to twice..manual says to but it only needs to see it once
I kinda figured thats what it did. I just think its cleaner just using a relay instead of a switch that could look ugly. A relay is nice and neat and just installs behind the radio. and only need to cylce the power when u wanna watch a dvd anyways which is as simple as just turning the radio off then bak on. plus relays are pretty cheap.