Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TLDR: My Battery keeps draining, Bad fuel injector leak, Suspension..ect

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 04:32 PM
SL Member

Default TLDR: My Battery keeps draining, Bad fuel injector leak, Suspension..ect

I think this is in the right sub category cause it could be connected to the engine. I talked about having to replace my alternator at the mechanics and way before that I did the battery but my car’s battery still dies have any of you had issues with batteries dying? I’m gonna have to see what happens when I daily drive it (I’m gonna put like 40 miles a week plus work) but I’m afraid I’m gonna drain the battery when nobody can pick me up or the car just doesn’t start when I need to leave I’ve replaced the alternator in hopes it’d fix it (203,000 miles stock alternator) and replaced the battery first because it was easier and if that fixed it I would’ve left it, I think my car has something electronic draining the battery or has a bad electrically related issue there’s no reason it should die after a week (we have a Jeep that hasn’t moved in like a month and still starts) and that thing has a old battery and alternator but the main issue is I want to install my head unit (should use the same or less voltage then stock) and maybe some speakers when I fix the rest of the car I need connecting rod bearings and fuel system repairs. What do you guys think is making my battery drain , also my suspension rides roughly even though it’s brand new is like our 2 inch lifter ranger on all terrains I’m on 205/50/15’s I don’t care about the noise but I want to work on the shake I think my front wheel bearings are no good (I’m getting $100 soon) the rear ones aren't that good but they spin freely I’m getting that metallic sound which means I’m rubbing or that my wheel bearings are bad , I changed the brake pads in the front (I’m not touching the rear for quite a bit of miles) I’m gonna change the front rotors I also think my tires are super off balance it looks like they slapped a bunch of weights in a straight line and pretended like they did a proper balance because I get some light steering shake (my tie rods and rest of suspension is perfect and I think should be pretty aligned as they’re the same exact ones as on the car and all I did was swap them without messing with the locking nut so I think i need wheel bearings I’m on horrible roads so I really need that suspension to not make the sounds it makes.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-11-2021 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Thread Closed
Old 08-10-2021, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a voltmeter and check voltage at battery posts with engine running. At 2000rpm it should read close to 14V.
Metallic sound can be the squealers on brake pads telling you something. Don't Xb Mk1's have drums in the rear?
Do you have alloy rims? They often need a lot of correction as the castings can have porosity.
HF has a tire bubble balancer for for $90, it will get you close.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:01 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
Get a voltmeter and check voltage at battery posts with engine running. At 2000rpm it should read close to 14V.
Metallic sound can be the squealers on brake pads telling you something. Don't Xb Mk1's have drums in the rear?
Do you have alloy rims? They often need a lot of correction as the castings can have porosity.
HF has a tire bubble balancer for for $90, it will get you close.
I'm on a extremely tight budget, I have a multi-meter it needs a battery to use it though, the rims are cast aluminum (I’m pretty sure) and the cars tires have play at the wheel bearing I think cause I did everything else
it’s a xA not a xB but it still has a rear drum brake. I think I’m having wheel bearing issues as they’re 16 years old and 203,000+ miles and they have some play unless I get this dishwasher job I have only like $113 in my pocket to resolve it.

About the metallic sound I have fresh pads on the brakes just crap rotors that are way over due but I have to wait on the rotors. Extremely short on cash for my car I did all the major safety stuff in the minimum I have brakes and steering I have Triple A if my car blows up.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-10-2021 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 08-10-2021, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, battery drains because it's not fully disconnected when you turn key off. Something's still connected and flowing current. So... pull out multimeter and measure...

1. disconnect battery +terminal

2. set meter to 10-amp range

3. connect +positive (red) probe of meter to +terminal of battery

4. connect -negative (blk) probe to +12 battery cable

5. meter should read power drain. What is this number?
Old 08-10-2021, 07:23 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Yup, battery drains because it's not fully disconnected when you turn key off. Something's still connected and flowing current. So... pull out multimeter and measure...

1. disconnect battery +terminal

2. set meter to 10-amp range

3. connect +positive (red) probe of meter to +terminal of battery

4. connect -negative (blk) probe to +12 battery cable

5. meter should read power drain. What is this number?
i have to go buy a battery for my multimeter , I think my radio that’s broken in the car is drawing 12v when it’s off it takes like 5 days I think to die but when it’s being driven I have to check, I’m swapping in a new radio with probably more efficient headlights I think I probably either have a bad ground or it’s my stock radio that’s broken either that or my computer is ____y and drawing when I shut it off I need to test the stock radio for current draw or else my new head unit will be just as bad
Old 08-10-2021, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Effective troubleshooting, as in fast and inexpensive, requires testing and measuring to determine what's wrong. Blindly replacing good perfectly working parts with brand-new good perfectly working parts changes nothing and symptoms persist. This wastes money needlessly.

Get $1 9v battery from DollarTree for your multimeter and find your wiring leak. Would've saved you cost of new battery. And probably alternator too.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LordWayback
i have to go buy a battery for my multimeter , I think my radio that’s broken in the car is drawing 12v when it’s off it takes like 5 days I think to die but when it’s being driven I have to check, I’m swapping in a new radio with probably more efficient headlights I think I probably either have a bad ground or it’s my stock radio that’s broken either that or my computer is ____y and drawing when I shut it off I need to test the stock radio for current draw or else my new head unit will be just as bad
Don't guess. Just use meter to find short first so you know what problem really is. Then fix it. Verify fix worked by measuring again afterwards.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:31 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Don't guess. Just use meter to find short first so you know what problem really is. Then fix it. Verify fix worked by measuring again afterwards.
that’s the plan I’m just waiting for the dollar store trip , my battery is under warranty if there’s no shorts
Old 08-10-2021, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think this is in the right sub category cause it could be connected to the engine. I talked about having to replace my alternator at the mechanics and way before that I did the battery but my car’s battery still dies have any of you had issues with batteries dying? I’m gonna have to see what happens when I daily drive it (I’m gonna put like 40 miles a week plus work) but I’m afraid I’m gonna drain the battery when nobody can pick me up or the car just doesn’t start when I need to leave I’ve replaced the alternator in hopes it’d fix it (203,000 miles stock alternator) and replaced the battery first because it was easier and if that fixed it I would’ve left it, I think my car has something electronic draining the battery or has a bad electrically related issue there’s no reason it should die after a week (we have a Jeep that hasn’t moved in like a month and still starts) and that thing has a old battery and alternator but the main issue is I want to install my head unit (should use the same or less voltage then stock) and maybe some speakers when I fix the rest of the car I need connecting rod bearings and fuel system repairs. What do you guys think is making my battery drain , also my suspension rides roughly even though it’s brand new is like our 2 inch lifter ranger on all terrains I’m on 205/50/15’s I don’t care about the noise but I want to work on the shake I think my front wheel bearings are no good (I’m getting $100 soon) the rear ones aren't that good but they spin freely I’m getting that metallic sound which means I’m rubbing or that my wheel bearings are bad , I changed the brake pads in the front (I’m not touching the rear for quite a bit of miles) I’m gonna change the front rotors I also think my tires are super off balance it looks like they slapped a bunch of weights in a straight line and pretended like they did a proper balance because I get some light steering shake (my tie rods and rest of suspension is perfect and I think should be pretty aligned as they’re the same exact ones as on the car and all I did was swap them without messing with the locking nut so I think i need wheel bearings I’m on horrible roads so I really need that suspension to not make the sounds it makes.
Good lord! Do you know what a period - or a complete sentence - is?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-11-2021 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-10-2021, 09:52 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Good lord! Do you know what a period - or a complete sentence - is?
I am well known for my run on sentences I don’t use periods when I talk why use them when writing a paragraph that’s not for school.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:07 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

I am well known for my run on sentences I don’t use periods when I talk why use them when writing a paragraph that’s not for school.
Because You are on a Forum for people to make sense of What you are Talking about.

You are 19 years young and got a Lot to learn.

You are Not in the Hood, Kid.

Administrator

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-11-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:09 PM
SL Member

I don’t know a single person who is fluent in English who wouldn’t understand that post.

__
Old 08-10-2021, 10:20 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

I don’t know a single person who is fluent in English who wouldn’t understand that post.__
That's Your Problem, Lord Young Blood. You may know a little English but,

You are Not Fluent in Grammar, Punctuation, and Net Etiquette.
On this Forum you are rude to others who use proper grammar and sentences.

Same Reason, you don't use ALL CAPS (Shouting) or Lower Case (Whispering).
Your Don't Run On Sentences showing immaturity and disrespect to others.

Announcement: Why is the Moderator editing our posts?

This Thread is Now Closed.
___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-11-2021 at 12:25 AM. Reason: This Thread is Now Closed.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Ah yes, the new generation..."Hey, I know I'm asking you for help but it's your job to interpret and understand what I'm asking, not mine. Now tell me what's wrong."

@LordWayback I thought your mother was making you sell the car...seems that would have been the best option given your limited budget to fix any issues you might have caused.