Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Weird Tach Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default Weird Tach Problem

I'm a new Scion (had many other Toyotas though) owner of a used (53K) 05 XA. On my 2nd drive after getting it, the tachometer stopped working. About every 4-6 times I start it; it works perfectly (until I turn off the engine & restart). If I unhook the battery (to reset the computer) this also gets the tach working again. I have never had the tach stop during a drive when it operated correctly upon start up (loose wire/ harness).

Because occasionally I get the tach to work perfectly, I assume it can't be 1) a blown fuse or 2) a bad tach (motor/ needle).

Any ideas? Other than this problem, I love this car...
Old 12-12-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member

Forgot to add...The fuel guage is eratic. It jumps around close to E when first started, then (slowly) goes up to it's correct level after about a minute.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

do ya know if it had overlays on before?maybe its just lose?i think if the fuse was blown it would not work at all..hopefully someone can help you.i dont use the dash one to small i use this mounted on my steering column works great
http://www.sw-performance.com/index....tails&p=114927
Old 12-13-2009, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member

No overlays...Everything is stock. I'm going to pull the gauges tomorrow & check all fuses.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

good idea..i know i have 1 wire that runs to a fuse in the panel on the driver side next to your left foot and another that runs to something else ill look in the morning and see maybe its one you might need,,ill take pics to make it easy for you
Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my speedometer just started doing the exact same thing, right when i get in the car before even turning anything on, the speedometer needle makes a grinding noise like the motor is going and the teeth on the gear is striped kinda sound and the needle jitters a bit. so i figure its the motor, but the odd thing is it works fine some times and then other times it wont work, and it never stops during driving. only when i turn off the car and turn it back on. and the real odd thing is, since this started. every time i start the car, the gas and tach gauges take about 15 seconds before working. but those two work all the time. so if anyone can give me a clue as to what the F is going on, please do lol.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member

Problem solved!!
Like Shawn, my speedo needle was jumpy & would make noise w/o even putting the key in the ignition (some sort of power surge occurs by opening the door).
My solution: bought a used cluster on ebay ($65). Everything works perfectly now. All that's left is to have it reprogrammed to the correct mileage.
Ralph
Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 PM

Question Wierd Tach/guage problem too

Hello all.

New to post here. glad i'm not the only one with this problem although I would not wish the problem on anyone.

My tach works only about 20 percent of the time. Fuel gauge and speedo have also stopped on occasion while driving.

upon turning the ignition key, a buzzing "electrical short" noise comes from under the dash as the fuel guage and speedo wiggle and then come to life.

Took it to the dealer and they looked at us like we were crazy. Of course it didn't do it while they had the car.

has anyone come to a solution or do i have to buy a new guage set to try it out? Dont want to spend money on a guage set if it is not necessary.

Also, for those who have the problem, what is your odometer reading?

Thanks in advance.

Marco
Old 12-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Banned
SL Member

This is not the first time im hearing of this problem. I have seen this happen as far back as 3 years ago. The easiest way to get around it is to get another tach. The only problem is that the milage carries over on the other speedo. To the best of my knowledge, you can not transfer exsisting mileage.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:19 PM

Default Wierd tach problem

Thank you for your input. do I have to go stock or is there an aftermarket that will work in the existing guage cluster?

Thanks in advance.

Marco
Old 12-31-2009, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there are really only overlays for the speedo cluster, but since i have a garmin, i just go by the gps mph. i dont want to spend 60 plus dollars on a new cluster and then have my milage be off also.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 PM

How much does it cost to have the dealership install the tach? How much just to reset the mileage? I'm having the same issue with my cluster not showing RPM 4/5 of the time.