Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Changing belts easy?

I've seen the procedure for changing the belts on the 06 XB. It seems simple, and I have two Gator belts ready to go in. Stealership wants $165 for the job.

I need an opinion on how difficult this is from somebody who has done this. Do I remove the bottom cover and go underneath to remove the power steering belt? Top one looks easy, but I am worried about the bottom one. I couldn't locate the information on what I needed to remove to access the bottom one from the online book. It says "REMOVE ENGINE UNDER COVER RH - SEE 19-3" But I cannot find 19-3 it is referring to.

Any advice or warnings would be appreciated. I've done endless searches but have not read anything that relates their experience doing this.

Thank you in advance.
dgenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default It's easy...

I did this myself several times, they needed to come off when I installed the Perrin lightweight pully. Top belt is very easy. First search the maintenance section for 'belt replacement' and see the diagram. Mark, with a flair pen the position of the alternator tightening arm so you can see if you get it tightened to the same spot at end of process. Loosen the hinge or lower bolt first and then loosten the top bolt. Slide the alternator in and belt slides right off. If you can not loosten the lower hinge bolt, that is O.K., the alternator will still slide, it just takes more pressure.
Lower belt is loostened by the bolt found in between the spokes of the power steering pully. Turn pully until you can see and reach bolt and loosten. Again if you can not reach, or can not loosten the hinge bolt, it is O.K., and understandable...I couldn't get it either. Do inside belt first, use a pry bar to get the tention on the belt and tighten. A second STRONG person will help under there. Once power steering (inner) belt is tight, ( real tight, too tight to twist belt) then do the outer belt.
Use that prybar on the alternator to line up the line you drew with your flair and tighten. I could not get it tight enough the last time I did this so a shop tightened it up for me for $45. Not too bad for the pro's to do the part I couldn't do.
xBHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Trader
SL Member

Send a message via AIM to RedneckwithanxB

+1 to above post...

but to be clear, its about as easy as a fwd car with a small engine bay can be
Your level of fail is astounding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevolutionAutomotive View Post
I'mm happy to have inherited the fail.. I can honestly say.. I've never found more zip ties.. doing nothing.. than on this car.. Don.. You are the Zip Tie King.. Kudos to you..ha ha ha..
SL Member 16998 |12 Sonic 1.4T 90 Camaro IROC 98 Yamaha Vstar|Former Owner of the Fail Box, still here to bust *****!
RedneckwithanxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Assistant Admin
Premium Member
5 Year Member
Assistant Admin
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sciond Send a message via AIM to Sciond Send a message via Yahoo to Sciond

I might need to do mine soon....I gotta find some local help
I am looking for another gen1 XB.. never modded

Twitter:@sciond/facebook:sciond
There is no new Scion I can buy that fits my needs....
Sciond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres a close enough diagram i could find. changed my gf serpentine belt in 15 min tops. pic from a 5th gen camry. engine setup should be somewhat the same.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=210042
Click the image to open in full size.
hyperwhitetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not at all like the Camry for the Gen 1.

There are two belts and no tensioner. The bolts, particularly the lower Alternator bolt and the vane pump (power steering) bolts are hard to get out because space is tight. I've rolled the vane pump belt on in the past without too much trouble, and it has yet to complain. As mentioned earlier, loosening the top bolt for the alternator is sufficient to get the part to move. Watch out for the oil control valve when you use a bar or lever to tighten the alternator/ac compressor belt. The manual suggests doing so from the fender side.

Cheers,

MD
cherry-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to say, I wished there was a simple tensioner to remove the belts, would only take a few minutes. I have read the book, and the tops one I am confident I can do in minutes (I have changed belts on cars without tensioners before).

Do we go from underneath for the lower belt to loosen the power steering pump? Everything I've seen suggests we do.

I've been waiting for my schedule and the weather to cooperate so I can do this job.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 AM   #8
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sure you read the right page? See diagram at link below...

Disregaurd that CAMRY photo. XB motor is not even close to that.
Yes, you go from undernith to reach power steering belt. Remove splash gaurd to reach it.
Hit the link below to see the SCION XB Gen1 Drive Belt page from the TECH section's repair manual. (I can not copy the page.)
Print it out and save it so you don't need to ask next time.

http://www.scionlife.com/tech/manual.../xb04_0978.gif

This information should answer any questions....
xBHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #9
5 Year Member

SL Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kewlbox

The first time i changed mine i was surprised that it was not as easy to change as my hondas that i used to have. But is is still not that difficult to do it yourself.

Some day i will say something clever, and when i do i will put it here.
kewlbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
SL Member

Send a message via AIM to WhoKilledTheJAMs Send a message via Yahoo to WhoKilledTheJAMs

I changed my alternator belt not that long ago, and the worst part was un-seizing the lower alternator bolt. Once I got that done, it was a ten minute job. I found it helps to have a second set of hands (it's a quicker job if someone is routing the belt underneath the car), but it's not entirely necessary.

My car isn't dirty, chipped, or scratched. It's developing a patina.
WhoKilledTheJAMs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do any of you have the link to the ROUTING DIAGRAM? My belt is off (laying on the road actually). A quick perusal under the hood did not lead me to the diagram.
I'm just hoping the 6 mile drive didn't overheat the engine.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
5 Year Member
SL Member

Send a message via AIM to cingham

what about the water pump?

www.scionlife.com/tech/
cingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMJAnew View Post
Do any of you have the link to the ROUTING DIAGRAM? My belt is off (laying on the road actually). A quick perusal under the hood did not lead me to the diagram.
I'm just hoping the 6 mile drive didn't overheat the engine.

FOUND IT!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #14
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG, that ONE BOLT was a major PAIN. I just now finished the job. I kept putting it off, getting different tools to reach that bolt. Then I just settled on a ratchet with a 14mm that was just the right heigth to squeeze in there. You move the bolt a tiny notch, then spend next 1-3 minutes trying to get the ratchet back on there. It killed an adapter and ratchet in the process.

The top bolt is not in the same position anymore, but the guy at O'reilly's told me that one of the belts was slightly different size, but was within range. So I assume that's why the alternator is not oriented exactly the same as it was with the factory belt. Tension is good, and there is no slippage, for now at least.Hopefully it is set right and will last another 80k miles.

BTW, took me two darn hours to do this from putting it on the ramps to closing the hood, once I finally had the time and tools to do it. Most of it was because of that cursed 14mm bolt on the underside of the alternator. Maybe that bolt was cursed or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKilledTheJAMs View Post
I changed my alternator belt not that long ago, and the worst part was un-seizing the lower alternator bolt. Once I got that done, it was a ten minute job. I found it helps to have a second set of hands (it's a quicker job if someone is routing the belt underneath the car), but it's not entirely necessary.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Scionlife.com
Scion TC

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, alternator, belt, belts, change, changing, diagram, pump, replacement, routing, scion, serpentine, vane, xa, xb