Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

satellite radio mounting

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:46 PM

Default satellite radio mounting

I have a sirius sportster model that I will be transferring to my xb when it arrives. Is anyone else running similar gear and where are you mounting it in the car? I want a clean install but the vehicle specific mounts for the xb seem to be scarce to none.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:57 PM

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm waiting and then I will install my sportster. I should have my car next week. I will post my pics with my location of the Sirius
Old 06-01-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Satellite installation

In my previous vehicle I had an XM radio - small and was dash mounted.
I took it out of that vehicle and went to BestBuy and bought the iPod mounting kit - which was about $10 less than the satellite radio mounting kit - but was identical except for the color.
And I mounted the bracket attaching to the plastic cowling under the shifter console.
I would like it higher, but it is out of the way of the emergency brake and the cables don't drape over the dash and console otherwise.
Let me know if you would like a pitcure of it.

Dave
Old 06-01-2007, 06:27 PM

I would like to see a picture if you have one.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:22 PM

I have the Siruis Starmate and just mounted it up yesterdy. I have an automatic so right below the HVAC controls is a perfect fit for the Starmate. I moved the hazard button to the right side of the transmision control. There is a black blank there now and it just pops out as does the hazard button. Both holes are the same size and fit perfectly. I did have to pull the hazard wire about an inch further but no problem. I then pulled the sifter console off and ran all the wires down the hole where the hazard button was. I ran a fused line to the fuse panel (to the 12v power point fuse), gounded to bolt behind the center console and ran the line out wire under the carpet to the aux input jack. Everything works perfectly and sounds great. And all the wires are hidden from sight. You can switch back and forth between the iPod and aux and each has there own audio settings. I ran the anntena up the drivers side dash and mounted the anntena on th left corner of the dash. I have mounted Sirius and XM in several cars and running the anntena all the way to the back out the hatch is a PITA. The dash location works great and the signal is great. I might try to hide the aux input inside the center console, but that is for another day.

I was going to do the factory install but figured I would try this out and save myself $250. I actually prefer the Starmate with the song and artist memory/alert feature. I will try to post a picture. It took me about 45 minutes total. Any questions let me know.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Insureit1
I will try to post a picture.
Please do post a pic when you get a chance. I had wondered that for a BT install I am considering.
That location and easy mod sounds like it could be a good solution for a number of add-on installs.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 PM

One last thing. The Starmate and the anntena are held in place using 3M foam tape. It is the same tape that came with the Starmate originally. It holds everyhting in place and will not leave a sticky mess if you want to remove it later.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:29 PM

I have my daughter's birthday today, but I will try to post a picture later tonight or tommorow.