Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

recommendations for sub size

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 01:04 AM

Default recommendations for sub size

looking to add a sub and enclosure to the stock system, and trying to figure out how big, but not too big.... i have a 160w amp to power with. was thinking about shoving an 8" under the pass seat, or a 10" in the spare tire area. space is a concern because i haul m/c stuff and golf clubs. what do you guys think?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think if u can incoperate some kind of enclosure underneath the rear seats in that storage area that would be illl
Old 06-16-2007, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have one ten in a simple box and can haul grocery's and everything else just fine.....
Old 06-16-2007, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB 2 has kind of a big interior. Do you want sound quality or loud bass? I have a single 12 that's waiting to go into my first generation. It was more than enough for my old Civic.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:47 PM

honestl i like the way the system sounds, just need to round out the bass a little. need to make the money last as i bought 2 of these in a week...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:27 AM
SL Member

i would recomend the shallow 10" or 12" pioneer sells. Then you can get a box made to fit under the seats and you will have plenty of room for storage still.

edit - must be a site sponsor in order to advertise on scionlife - cherryBox
Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by trialsrider
honestl i like the way the system sounds, just need to round out the bass a little. need to make the money last as i bought 2 of these in a week...
That was my exact situation. I'm thinking that replacing the read speakers would help but I didn't.

I bought a 10" Kicker sub (150 watts RMS 300 peak) from Circuit city. I bought a sealed enclosure. It was like $160.

It's WAY more bass than I need. I know there's loud vs quality in subs so I went with a sealed box to have more crisp response and it is (I literally JUST solved my grounding issues). However with the SSP crap in FEEL mode it's ridiculously loud.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

guys, I had my rear seats out a couple weeks ago and I do not think there is any way to get a sub under there. there is much less room than you think. Pull out the back spare tire cover and you can see. The contours would make it difficult

Now what I think might work is a shallow sub in a box contoured to the foam piece that goes over the spare, be completely hiddent
Old 06-18-2007, 08:34 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by XBFred
guys, I had my rear seats out a couple weeks ago and I do not think there is any way to get a sub under there. there is much less room than you think. Pull out the back spare tire cover and you can see. The contours would make it difficult

Now what I think might work is a shallow sub in a box contoured to the foam piece that goes over the spare, be completely hiddent
Yes that is a good idea. ya i also dont own a scion so knowing how much room is under there is unkown. But the shallow subs only require 3.5 inches so if you know how to use fiberglass then hey it might work!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acousti...smission_lines

I would like to see someone engineer something like this that fits around the spare tire.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not really going to fit anything around the spare unless you remove the plastic sides, above the spare would be good if you remove foam. There is tons of room.

I personally am planning on losing the spare and praying I never get a flat. I will keep a can of fix a flat, but anything worse and I will be in trouble
Old 06-19-2007, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

unless you remove the plastic sides
Uhm, yeah, thought that was a given? There's tons of room when you take all that jazz out.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:31 PM

k, got my 10y/o kenwood wired up, and borrowed a buddy's 12" jbl in a sealed box. what i figured out: sub was muddy, amp underpowered, and and i don't like as much BOOOOOOM as i used to. also, while the stock speakers sound decent, when a sub is added you can hear all kinds of sonic holes in them. so i think i'm going to go the route of new everything. eyeballing jl audio 500/5 amp, 2 jl 10w0's(lots of quality sound, little power) in the spare tire with tight box and lots of polyfill, and new component speakers. brands i'm looking at are focal ($$$$), jl, mb,.... i tend to like silk or soft dome tweeters for a smoother sound, metal are too harsh to me. listen to all kinds of music, so i need versatility. any thoughts on components?

been into stereos a long time, just not since i got a family. for those of you that have been around awhile, i used to compete in thunder on wheels in the 80's/90's down south. 71 bug with dyneaudio, 2 power1000's, 1 power650, and 4 punch 18's... my most fav stereo was in a 90 pulsar: image dynamics hlcp's( horn loaded compression driver), 8's in the kicks, 4 jl 12's, and orion amps....

sad that taste and budget changes.....
Old 07-09-2007, 04:14 PM
SL Member

Just be Careful with the polyfill in your box. If to much is added or not even needed it will over heat your sub causing a loss of power and then has the possibility of blowing. Also as i am sure you do know, anything added to the interior of your box cuts down on air space, so make sure you account for it!

Just my thoughts.

City-Soundz.com