Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Strut mounts

Hello all! I have searched all through here and Google and have not found what I'm looking for, so I'm posting this to get some answers. I have seen topics for struts, but not strut mounts, and I assume they are different.

I need to replace my strut mounts and the dealership wants to charge me $700+ for parts and labor. I don't have that kind of cash, at least not right now. My questions are: how hard is it to do yourself? What's a good website to get strut mounts? What's a good brand?

Thanks in advance and please forgive my noob-ness. I have done small things on my cars, but nothing major. For example, changing tires, rotors/brake pads, installing subs. Once again, I appreciate any help in this matter!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-26-2013, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so when I installed my springs I don't recall much of a mount. they're probably saying $700+ because they would have to remove the wheels, completely remove the struts themselves, replace the top mount, what little there is, put it all back on and then do an alignment. It's quite a bit of labor involved, while the part itself is fairly cheap. the fronts may be easier to do than the backs, but it's still going to be an all day project even with some prep work and research for swapping out springs/ struts
Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

$700 sounds like the price to replace the struts and mounts together...
Old 11-02-2013, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Barfalamu
so when I installed my springs I don't recall much of a mount. they're probably saying $700+ because they would have to remove the wheels, completely remove the struts themselves, replace the top mount, what little there is, put it all back on and then do an alignment. It's quite a bit of labor involved, while the part itself is fairly cheap. the fronts may be easier to do than the backs, but it's still going to be an all day project even with some prep work and research for swapping out springs/ struts
Having done it yourself, does that seem like a reasonable price?

Sent from my S4
Old 11-02-2013, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jenkay
I'll double check with the dealer, but I think that was just for the labor and strut mounts.

Sent from my S4
Old 11-02-2013, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you ever get yours looked at again? I remember you posted something about a noise. I replied, saying it might be the same thing as my issue.

Sent from my S4
Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dscatto
Did you ever get yours looked at again? I remember you posted something about a noise. I replied, saying it might be the same thing as my issue.

Sent from my S4
Yeah... took it to a few different places actually. I think the consensus is that they're fine for now. I'm thinking my noise is coming from the sway bar bushings.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah... took it to a few different places actually. I think the consensus is that they're fine for now. I'm thinking my noise is coming from the sway bar bushings.
Gotcha. Yeah, it's not a pressing issue, they said. It's more of a nuisance because of the noise.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dscatto
Having done it yourself, does that seem like a reasonable price?

Sent from my S4
I'm a big DIY'er when it comes to my car, everything mechanical I try to do my self. So having already kind of done it, if you can get some proper tools and do some research, it doesn't seem like it would be worth $700 for me when instead I can spend maybe $50-$100 on parts and spend a day, maybe an afternoon, depending on who I can bribe to help me out