Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion tC ZEX Blackout Nitrous Kit..

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion tC ZEX Blackout Nitrous Kit..

Hi guys I just got a custom made Scion tC Blackout Kit from ZEX and love it. I am running a 65 horse shot with Unichip for engine management and notice a great power gain. I also installed the
traction control window switch ZEX offers and it really helped keep the wheel slip down in 1st and 2nd gear. Anyway I wanted to tell you all that this kit is now available on ZEX website at:

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ory_Code=Scion

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-22-2021 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 05-18-2009, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can you post pics of yours installed. thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't know we could advertise in this forum.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WoLF
Hey I will try to get some pics up by this weekend,

Thanks
Old 05-20-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can't be the actual kit. looks like there's a spray bar for a carb
Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default pics

Here are some pics
Old 05-20-2009, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Iowa_TC1"]
Originally Posted by WoLF
Here are some pics, enjoy!

Notice the map switch for my nitrous and the throttle tune from world motorsports.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Not a fan of the yellow ground wire kit.

Not a fan of the visible solenoid.

Not a fan of the nitrous fogger jet visible in the CAI, should have taken the CAI out and drilled into the back side of it keeping it stealth FTW.

FYI and the only thing that makes the kit 'PNP' for the tC is the fuel line which can be bought separately from Zex for about $50 and used with any kit, the fuel line keeps from the need to tap or cut the factory fuel line.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
Not a fan of the yellow ground wire kit.

Not a fan of the visible solenoid.

Not a fan of the nitrous fogger jet visible in the CAI, should have taken the CAI out and drilled into the back side of it keeping it stealth FTW.

FYI and the only thing that makes the kit 'PNP' for the tC is the fuel line which can be bought separately from Zex for about $50 and used with any kit, the fuel line keeps from the need to tap or cut the factory fuel line.
Dude its part of showing the kit off, and FYI I know that about the kit fuel line already, but you still need a nitruos kit when you buy that right, so it sounds to me like you just want to complain about something just to complain. I'm mean dude thats cool if you don't like my setup, but don't come on here and drill what I have done just because you don't like it.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Iowa_TC1
Dude its part of showing the kit off, and FYI I know that about the kit fuel line already, but you still need a nitruos kit when you buy that right, so it sounds to me like you just want to complain about something just to complain. I'm mean dude thats cool if you don't like my setup, but don't come on here and drill what I have done just because you don't like it.
You posted pics up so you obviously wanted feedback. I gave mine and you don't like it, grow up, if you like it then it does not matter what I have to say. FYI, if you did some research you would have gone with a more reliable kit, not Zex but if black is what you were going for whateva works. Your setup might work for you, and perhaps you like showing off solenoids and yellow ground wire kits, if that's what floats your boat more power to you. I simply prefer the stock look with the upgrades, it takes more time to accomplish but ultimately looks awesome when you can't tell what's really there until you're spanked by it.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You posted pics up so you obviously wanted feedback. I gave mine and you don't like it, grow up, if you like it then it does not matter what I have to say. FYI, if you did some research you would have gone with a more reliable kit, not Zex but if black is what you were going for whateva works. Your setup might work for you, and perhaps you like showing off solenoids and yellow ground wire kits, if that's what floats your boat more power to you. I simply prefer the stock look with the upgrades, it takes more time to accomplish but ultimately looks awesome when you can't tell what's really there until you're spanked by it.
Look I don't mine the feedback at all, but don't go off on how its not realible this and that, because frankly you can't really say one kit is more realible then the other just by reading something off a website, it all depend on how you have it set up. Any kit can be realible if you set it up right. For instance I have mine set up with the zex window switch so it only sprays between 3400 RPM to 6000RPM and had it tune to help keep it safe. Anyway like I say thats cool if you don't like it, I just though you should of used a different approach, but whatever thats why it a forum.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Look I don't mine the feedback at all, but don't go off on how its not realible this and that, because frankly you can't really say one kit is more realible then the other just by reading something off a website, it all depend on how you have it set up. Any kit can be realible if you set it up right. For instance I have mine set up with the zex window switch so it only sprays between 3400 RPM to 6000RPM and had it tune to help keep it safe. Anyway like I say thats cool if you don't like it, I just though you should of used a different approach, but whatever thats why it a forum.
Actually you can; there are speed shops, tuner shop, etc., that have been dealing with nitrous kits and different manufacturers for quite some time, the guy I deal with about 30 years, way before the first fast and furious , it is a well known fact amongst them that Zex kits have one of the highest malfunction rates in the business from defective solenoids, solenoids staying open flowing nitrous at inappropriate times *boom*, to faulty tps switches, flowing nitrous prior to the window and wot, *lean*, to the fuel solenoid flowing insufficient fuel *boom*. This has been noted in various SL threads. The season Zex is popular is in comparision to other manufacturers they are less expensive and things such as that included tC fuel line where other manufacturers will have you tap the factory line or purchase the line from Zex to use with their kit.

Here is a good thread, in the thread there are some good points being made, in the latter pages there are posts of Zex selling inferior products, as opposed to NX, Ny-trex, etc. that are actually are 100% made in the US and doesn't outsource production, etc. that may hinder reliability.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0

Regardless of how you set it up there will be some degree of malfunction arising, also spraying that close to the red line, will ultimately hinder your ability to recognize any problems if any do arise before you hit the rev limiter, say if a solenoid get stuck, and you hit the rev limiter/fuel cutoff you'll blow it but with more quality products you limit the degree of malfunction arising.

Something like the electronic DynoTune Dual Stage RPM/TPS is awesome. It has a ton of easily programmable features even gear lockout which I use almost exclusively not to spray in 1st.

There probably isn't a better bang for buck F/I than nitrous, actually I don't think there is a bigger advocate of nitrous than myself, but i'm really a fan of doing it right the first time, going with the right brand the first time and minimizing impact down the road but to each his own; as long as you like it, that's all that really matters.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Ecko.... so do you work on these type of systems a lot?
nice write up and info...
thought this thread was going to turn into a mud slinging match lol...but fortunately it turned around.
I have a lot of experience building performance cars...but never really messed with nitrous before... but you have a good point... when you're dealing with something that is as volatile as nitrous oxide is....making sure you have the highest quality components can literally make the difference between life and death if/when something fails and goes wrong.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
thought this thread was going to turn into a mud slinging match lol...but fortunately it turned around.
I have a lot of experience building performance cars...but never really messed with nitrous before... but you have a good point... when you're dealing with something that is as volatile as nitrous oxide is....making sure you have the highest quality components can literally make the difference between life and death if/when something fails and goes wrong.
I was never trying to bash the OP but as in all the thread when someone posts pics its a matter of taste.

Nitrous in and of itself is not flammable but when combusted in the engine with too little fuel or no fuel at all lol....we all know the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX1-L...om=PL&index=43

I did a lot, I mean A LOT, of research before going down the nitrous path. I talked to a bunch of guys mostly mustang guys and tuners that have a wealth of experience with nitrous oxide, both wet and dry, and just about every manufacturer you can think of and that's just info I have relayed to in my posts related to nitrous and to people who PM me directly.

I know we all may have different experiences, after all the Zex "PNP" kit for the tC is selling well because people see PNP and the $500/$600 price point is attractive. I only know of a few that have gone *boom* with it for the reasons I stated in previous posts. The Zex kit is easy to market because of that fuel line included so while others say universal Zex can say "look we made it specifically for you".

I think of it as the same reason why people are urged not to buy eBay turbo kits....same concept, not saying Zex is equivalent to eBay but the concept remains the same :D

The OP seems to be headed down the tuner path, i've read some of his other threads, i'm sure it all will work out for him.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
I was never trying to bash the OP but as in all the thread when someone posts pics its a matter of taste.

Nitrous in and of itself is not flammable but when combusted in the engine with too little fuel or no fuel at all lol....we all know the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX1-L...om=PL&index=43

I did a lot, I mean A LOT, of research before going down the nitrous path. I talked to a bunch of guys mostly mustang guys and tuners that have a wealth of experience with nitrous oxide, both wet and dry, and just about every manufacturer you can think of and that's just info I have relayed to in my posts related to nitrous and to people who PM me directly.

I know we all may have different experiences, after all the Zex "PNP" kit for the tC is selling well because people see PNP and the $500/$600 price point is attractive. I only know of a few that have gone *boom* with it for the reasons I stated in previous posts. The Zex kit is easy to market because of that fuel line included so while others say universal Zex can say "look we made it specifically for you".

I think of it as the same reason why people are urged not to buy eBay turbo kits....same concept, not saying Zex is equivalent to eBay but the concept remains the same :D

The OP seems to be headed down the tuner path, i've read some of his other threads, i'm sure it all will work out for him.
You make some good points, I never heard to many bad things about zex, and have used comp cams before when I was messing with V8 and never had a problem with them, but I do agree with you that people should buy USA made parts. The last couple of parts before my nitrous kit I bought where made in China and they were absolute junk. Anyway I appreciate our feedback.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys I am selling a PnP bracket for the zex nitrous management system if you haven't heard. This make the entire zex kit pretty much PnP for the tC and the bracket can be seen in the above pictures.

PM me if your interested, I'm taking orders now.

Thanks