Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Aftermarket Stereo Installation clarification?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Aftermarket Stereo Installation clarification?

Ok, I just picked up my 08. I've read through the ICE posts and still have a few questions before purchasing my parts.

I went with the standard radio because I plan to swap it out as soon as possible with the AVIC-Z2.

From the previous posts I've read, this is what I found:

1) the wiring harness from gen1 or any late model Toyota will work
2) the Metra or the Scion xA dash kit will work

Here are my questions
1) I've only been able to find Scoche or generic(?) harnesses on the web and they show only two connectors. From the images of the back of the Scion head units, it has up to 5 or 6 separate connectors. What are those other ones for / will the two-connector Scoche plug work for all the features of the AVIC-Z2 (I know the VSS will be hard to find)

2) Which kit would be better? Metra or xA? Which Metra kit? Can the xA kit simply be purchased from Scion?

I noticed most posts for Pioneer nav units are about the D3. I did a comparison on them and I was wondering why most are going with the D3 (aside from price)?

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

the wiring hasnt changed since 1987 for the wiring so yes any later model toyota wiring harness will work.

as with the xB 2nd gen i am not too sure what mounting kits will work.

the extra harnesses on the back of the scion unit are for stuff like the Aux input, steering wheel remote, and prolly the ipod, in addition to the 2 normal harnesses youd need to install an aftermarket deck. when you get an after market deck you cant use the stock ipod adapter, the stock aux input and can't use the steering wheel remote without buying another adapter\ (in your case the PAC SWI-PS).

again, im not too shure about the mounting kit, but i know that it is not available from scion, and if it is its more likely highly over priced. your best bet would be to check out a best buy or a circuit city.

the reason why i went with d3, other than the price of course. heehee. was because i didnt really need the 30 gigabyte hard drive, since i use my ipod anyway. this allows me to have my nav dvd inside the slot a majority of the time, since i dont have to switch out cds. the d3 also plays divx files which is awesome, and im not too shure if the z2 can or not, but the d3 can play stuff burned on a DVD, making a MP3 DVD or a Divx DVD with many movies on it. despite all the features, i still say one of the biggest selling points of the d3 is the price point.

hope this helps! :D
Old 06-10-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo Installation clarification?

Originally Posted by BigBHaller
I noticed most posts for Pioneer nav units are about the D3. I did a comparison on them and I was wondering why most are going with the D3 (aside from price)?
You should check avic411.com for updates, but the last time I checked there was not a working bypass for the Z2.
http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtop...5420&start=390
There is an easy bypass for the D3. There are rumors the newer build date units will not work with the bypass but so far only a rumor. No verification.

I for one would just be annoyed to pay over twice as much and know that the D3 guys were doing Nav input etc. while driving and I could not.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by roXor_boXor
You should check avic411.com for updates, but the last time I checked there was not a working bypass for the Z2.
http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtop...5420&start=390
There is an easy bypass for the D3. There are rumors the newer build date units will not work with the bypass but so far only a rumor. No verification.

I for one would just be annoyed to pay over twice as much and know that the D3 guys were doing Nav input etc. while driving and I could not.
Thanks for the heads up. I spent several hours reading through the posts. It is very unfortunate that there currently isn't a method to bypass movement detection. I don't care much for DVD playback while moving, but I find it VERY important to be able to plan or modify a route without having to be stopped. If I could plan or modify a route within the duration of a stop light, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it takes several minutes to type in an address.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't care much for DVD playback while moving, but I find it VERY important to be able to plan or modify a route without having to be stopped.
Pretty much my opinion too.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 AM
SL Member

Ok, I just picked up my 08. I've read through the ICE posts and still have a few questions before purchasing my parts.

I went with the standard radio because I plan to swap it out as soon as possible with the AVIC-Z2.

From the previous posts I've read, this is what I found:

1) the wiring harness from gen1 or any late model Toyota will work
2) the Metra or the Scion xA dash kit will work

Here are my questions
1) I've only been able to find Scoche or generic(?) harnesses on the web and they show only two connectors. From the images of the back of the Scion head units, it has up to 5 or 6 separate connectors. What are those other ones for / will the two-connector Scoche plug work for all the features of the AVIC-Z2 (I know the VSS will be hard to find)

2) Which kit would be better? Metra or xA? Which Metra kit? Can the xA kit simply be purchased from Scion?

Thanks for the clarification.
I am sure price, check it out for a good deal on the avic-z2 a far better unit and many more options for a fraction of retail.

edit - must be a site sponsor in order to advertise on scionlife - cherryBox