Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Automatic Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Automatic Short Shifter

Since day one I've had a problem with the shifter's location. It was just so much higher than any car I've ever driven. I regularly knocked it out of D and once knocked it all the way to R while doing 70 MPH. I've gotten better about it but it still felt in the way.

I thought I had a good plan. I measured the shaft, 8mm for anyone curious, and I planned to cut it down and rethread it and use the same shift **** you see in the pic below.

Well, it all went smooth until I started trying to cut the new threads. That was a futile effort. I just ended up with a 6 mm tip on the shaft. I tried everything I could think of and it would never cut. I probably should have consulted the metal working members before trying it. Oh well.

Anyhow, I needed a shift **** that didn't have to be threaded so I ended up at Advance Auto (small town, limited choices). I think it looks ok. I'm going to give it time to see if it grows on me more. Until then I'll keep my eye out for a replacement ****. Aside from the **** the height is perfect. It just feels good where it's at and it's completely out of the way.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that **** is meh, but i really like that short shifter look. it sucks it didn't work the way you wanted but i'm sure something can be done about it.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Maybe I'll go retro:

Old 01-22-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it'd be tough to incorporate it well with the stock xb interior. that's the nice way of saying "don't do it chad!"
Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
Maybe I'll go retro:

Old 01-22-2008, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The height of the auto shifter has bothered me as well... That looks decent, but definitely better w/ a nicer ****. I also like the black painted pieces.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Automatic Short Shifter

I liked how you painted everything black. Did the steering wheel plastic covers just pop off? What about your center console and climate control surrounds?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Day 1 with the lower shifter was awesome!!! It has a much sportier positive feel now. I wish I had a manual with a shifter that short. It's not even close to being in the way so no more accidental shifts.

I'm thinking of just painting the **** black. Finding something that will work, I like, and doesn't cost a fortune isn't going too well. If someone has any suggestions I'm all eyes.

Thanks about the interior. Everything pretty much pops out. Be careful with the console parts because they have a tab type clip at the top that doesn't like to release. I had to take the airbag off to remove the steering wheel pieces. Then I think there's one screw on each side and pull it out of a rubber holder.

I have considered this ****:
Old 01-23-2008, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the blue might stand out too much. i like the gun metal one myself. that black ball in the first pic is sick.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

that looks really good, the car looks a heck of a lot better in auto now. Just like you i didnt like how high the auto shifter was, it looked dorky. So i go a manual xb, awesome job with the setup. I think any body else with a auto needs to do the same.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

how do you remove the steering wheel controls to paint them. I was able to remove everything on the car, but when i got to the steering wheel i didnt feel comfortable taking it off. My interior is painted gunmetal, but seeing the black i actually might change it to that it looks good.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by randomsuper
the blue might stand out too much. i like the gun metal one myself. that black ball in the first pic is sick.
The one I found on Ebay is gunmetal. They just had a pic with purple closest. I'm going to miss my monsterknob. If anyone's interested, I guess it's up for sale.

I know you guys don't like the wood ball but I was thinking about buying one and painting it black. Then I'd still have a the black ball.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by BFDBOX
how do you remove the steering wheel controls to paint them. I was able to remove everything on the car, but when i got to the steering wheel i didnt feel comfortable taking it off. My interior is painted gunmetal, but seeing the black i actually might change it to that it looks good.
I didn't do it but they recommend disconnecting the battery before messing with the airbag. There are two torx screws on the back or underside of the wheel center that hold the airbag in place. Once unscrewed it just lifts out and has one or two connectors. After that you should be able to easily find the screws to remove and then just pull the pieces straight out (unplug the stereo controls first though). The hardest part was getting the buttons out without destroying the base. I had a time with it so if anyone has any tips to make that easier and less risky, please share.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Hey Chad,
How did you get th buttons out of th housing? I got the pcb out, but thought the buttons were molded in.
Thanks,
CC
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by FlyinLow
Hey Chad,
How did you get th buttons out of th housing? I got the pcb out, but thought the buttons were molded in.
Thanks,
CC
They have a pivot point in the middle. At the time I just a thin flat blade screwdriver to put enough pressure between the side of the button and the thin plastic around it to release the pivot. It is a pain to do because the button will not rotate in there so you have to release both sides at the same time or it will not move.
I thought about it after I did mine and I think it might be possible to cut a small peice of carboard like from a can case that's not too thick but strong and push it down one side while prying slightly so the cardboard will hold the pivot out of the hole. Then you can pry gently on the other side and slide it out.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think I found a **** I like.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

chadfo, how 'bout the round mesh shift **** in this thread:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=204839
Old 01-30-2008, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RSX-F...spagenameZWDVW imma huge transformer fan! but this one is the shape of the civic type r ****. prob my fav shape ****. you can get the type r **** on ebay for pretty cheap and fill in the numbers (1 2 3 4 5 R) and paint it to match you ride. might look nice. you have any other pics of your interior?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/8a/0...aa9-cf431&sp=0
Old 01-30-2008, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks guys! My wife likes the Ichibahn Pro Series also so I'm approved to get it. I'm ordering from the place below. They had the best price I could find.

http://obbnmotorworks.com/html/ichib...by_obbn_m.html

Quick Reply: Automatic Short Shifter