Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Removed antenna, Shaved look...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Removed antenna, Shaved look...

Hi guys, I removed the antenna from my car. Had it installed inversely so it now points to the inside. My question is, if any of you guys know of any better antenna replacement, because it doesn't give me good signal reception. I installed a signal booster I got from eBay but it didn't make much difference. Any antenna I can install from the inside that'll work? Will post pics l8er...
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Errol did something similar to this in his "Rain EG" build thread. Check it out/ask him. I think he did a relocate.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:42 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm not sure...but i think there is a DIY delete and relocate in the tC1 forum...
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kinda like the look of a stubby antenna as opposed to no antenna, but that's just me!
Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check out this product link....
http://www.ecshylites.com/page/page/761353.htm

you can tuck this antennae in your dash, headliner, anywhere else hidden for that matter as long as you don't ziptie it to other wires or running boards (per the faq) I haven't done a relocate in my car, but from my days installing commo equipment in the Army, I can tell you that hiding a dipole antenna is much more effective than altering the position of an exterior ground wave antenna. Your signal booster doesn't work because it overloads the receiver.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:44 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speterson82
check out this product link....
http://www.ecshylites.com/page/page/761353.htm

you can tuck this antennae in your dash, headliner, anywhere else hidden for that matter as long as you don't ziptie it to other wires or running boards (per the faq) I haven't done a relocate in my car, but from my days installing commo equipment in the Army, I can tell you that hiding a dipole antenna is much more effective than altering the position of an exterior ground wave antenna. Your signal booster doesn't work because it overloads the receiver.
i heard reception on those things usually suck. i dont know form my own experience...just what i heard
Old 12-02-2011, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
i heard reception on those things usually suck. i dont know form my own experience...just what i heard
sometimes they do, depends on a lot of factors. But generally they are better for this type of application. Reception is many times amplified over a standard car antenna because it offers less ohms of resistance. Also it doesn't require a ground, and it conducts half a wavelength as opposed to a quarter. In addition, you can orient it in any direction as it has poles on both ends. The one in the link looks well made, but that doesn't guarantee performance like you were saying. I wouldn't think it would be worse than relocating a whip antenna though.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks speterson, i think i might be trying that. It looks like it should be better. I'll let you know when i do...

Name:  IMG_0984.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  184.8 KB
Old 12-15-2011, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok this i like. How exactly did you do that? Also could you take more pics? Thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
Errol did something similar to this in his "Rain EG" build thread. Check it out/ask him. I think he did a relocate.
yup

Originally Posted by javithekid069
thanks speterson, i think i might be trying that. It looks like it should be better. I'll let you know when i do...

nicely done my friend
Old 12-15-2011, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I took off the antenna. It was a simple matter of unscrewing the top part off and going underneath and removing the female bolt. Now there is a hole in its place. Exactly what did you do that this point to cover it?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nylon plug & silicone
Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so I went the effort to shape something myself that looks contour with the body of the car. Essentially I bought this piece at Lowes and shaved it down flat....
http://www.lowes.com/pd_139447-37672...lug&facetInfo=

The black model is #881290. For some reason the Lowes website doesnt show the proper picture for the black model. However this is what it looks like....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...hood-no129.jpg

Now after I shaved it, I then put some clear silicon underneath the flat plastic piece and then put it on the body. I pressed it down slightly so it wouldn't have any exposed openings. Also for good measure, I dabbed some silicon on my finger and went underneath the bottom of the opening and put the excess silicon around the edges so water can't seep through even though the outer layer is already sealed with silicon.

I do hope noone questions why I would do this. I did this simply because I never listen to the radio. If I would in time require the need of the radio then I'd get that internal antenna option that was posted above. I like the look of no antenna on the exterior.

Last edited by oblivionlord; 11-02-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...wondering how successful color matching this plug would be...would it look too off because its plastic? What say you, any thoughts on painting it, or just sticking w/black?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was really considering that. Is there a place to get Super White spray paint? Ill give it a shot
Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can buy touch up paint at your local dealer.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

touchup paint comes in a little tiny vile ... its a horrible way to coat that piece of plastic without it looking like you used a brush. I was hoping for a spray can
Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can buy spray cans of factory colored paint online. We sell a small windshield mount antenna at best buy for like 25 bucks. It works suprisingly well am and fm. I have tucked them in headliners successfully and not had bad signal loss. If your really concerned with signal loss you could always spray paint it flat black and get it as close to the headliner as possible. Also if you go that route and have tint make sure you get ceramic (not metallic) tint to avoid signal loss.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oblivionlord
touchup paint comes in a little tiny vile ... its a horrible way to coat that piece of plastic without it looking like you used a brush. I was hoping for a spray can
I'm thinking with the vile touch up paint, maybe you could use a foam applicator to avoid the brush marks and just like wipe on several thin coats? Maybe...IDK for sure how well it would work, but possible?

Originally Posted by oblivionlord
I was really considering that. Is there a place to get Super White spray paint? Ill give it a shot
the factory spray paint online seems a good fix, but wonder how much more expensive...

I was also thinking for a relatively small plug, and with a pretty straightforward color like superwhite (or classic silver in my case) could you wrap the plug in white vinyl or you think it would stand out?
Old 12-17-2011, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Rustoleum makes Toyota Super White and its pretty damn close to the actual color. I used it on my rear garnish and you can't tell its rattle can...

Quick Reply: Removed antenna, Shaved look...