Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

$30k....which one

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member

Default $30k....which one

i am going to be 17 very shortly and i recently receved a large sum of money from a settlement ($60k) from a hit and run... nyways i am taking half the money ($30k) and putting it to a car. so far i have looked at
-VW GTI 2.0T 6sp. DSG trans
-Ford Mustang GT(2006)
-Subaru Wrx (not STI)
-Mini Coop S
-or a tc wit a crap load of mods
i want a sports car that wouldnt be bad to use as a daily driver. i already have the winter covered with my dads old tahoe. so i hv no idea wat to do i have already taken in many things like gas, amouts of add ons and aftermarket products, and i dont hv to worry bout insurance soo, i dont know wat to do. right now i drive an '05 auto. xb. gimme back some input. like how realiable are the cars too????
Old 07-15-2006, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

out of those get the wrx loaded. if you can wait a month or two mazdaspeed3 will be out and that this screams. please do not get a mustang. Because you are going to spend that much the tc is not even in the same ballpark as the other cars(except the mini which i have never been impressed with).
Old 07-15-2006, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC with a crap load of mods or the WRX, both are great cars to drive and build to the hilt with mods.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Subaru. Hold value better than the rest, are as close to Toyota reliability as Honda, 4wd allows for winter driving, and the 4 dr. means that you'll be able to take comfortable road trips with your buds.

Oh, and it'll frickin fly.

Although personally, if it were me in your position...knowing what I know now....I'd pay about 10k for a used car, put 40k down on a condo in the city, dump 10k into the condo, and then rent the **** for at least 2g's month. Then in 5 years when it's doubled in value, I'd sell it then buy something bigger.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd get an Evo, BMW 3 series, Lexus IS, etc if I had ~30k to blow on a car.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member

so then no mustang or mini... ok but wat bout the new mk v gti with a 6 speed auto dsg...??? it was pretty thrilling to drive but i still hv to drive the wrx again cuz i drove the sales managers demo so i dint get to really put it through its tests. i did like the fact that it was a 4 door and the AWD. but i dont mean to sound corny but the whole scion club thing is wickdly bad a$$ and i dont wanna leave it soo....ahhh its so confusing
Old 07-17-2006, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just buy a Tc turbo it and you'll have a fun car for cheap and you'll still have extra money for nice rims and all that other good stuff.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I agree with iyzmi, i'd go for a lexus is250 6-speed...I test drove that puppy and liked it a lot. Or maybe the infiniti G35x. Of the ones you listed, go for either the subaru or the tC. If the subaru though, i would definitely do it right and get the sti. Consumer reports rates subaru and toyota/scion very highly, so its a good bet. However, I too would save as much of that money as possible rather than ____ing it away. The tC is cheaper. I'm only 21 and I already know the importance of not throwing money away. $60K isn't a lot of money when you actually sit down at look at expenses. Get a tC and SAVE the rest!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: $30k....which one

Originally Posted by speedbox89
-VW GTI 2.0T 6sp. DSG trans
-Ford Mustang GT(2006)
-Subaru Wrx (not STI)
-Mini Coop S
-or a tc wit a crap load of mods
i want a sports car that wouldnt be bad to use as a daily driver. i already have the winter covered with my dads old tahoe. so i hv no idea wat to do i have already taken in many things like gas, amouts of add ons and aftermarket products, and i dont hv to worry bout insurance soo, i dont know wat to do. right now i drive an '05 auto. xb. gimme back some input. like how realiable are the cars too????
I drive a lightly modded WRX Limited (TBE, uppipe, reflash, 295hp) so I'll answer. It depends on what you really want. First of all, none of the cars you listed are really sports cars (in the true sense of the term) except for arguably the Mustang. I imagine you don't like the 350z, Evo or G35 since you didn't list them. As for what's on the road nowadays that I would recommend:
All-out performance: STI/Evo
Performance with a little luxury: 350Z/G35
Performance all-purpose: WRX
Sporty FWD: Civic SI, GTI, Cobalt SS, tC

Me personally? I bought a WRX and I kick myself everyday for not buying a Subaru Legacy GT instead. That car is incredible. It's a genuinely nice, attractive AWD sport sedan that blows everything in it's class off the road, is about the safest car made this year, and gets insane gains from modification. Stock for stock it's a little faster than a WRX, and with TBE and a reflash it'll beat an STI. That's what I'd get, but that's just me.

That's what I would get, but that's just me.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Used:
Integra Type R
Ep3 Civic Si
s2k
Subaru 2.5rs and convert it to a sti coupe
Del Sol Si
Nsx c32b (6spd newer ones)
New:
Wrx Sti
Wait for Civic Si sedan to come out or just go with the coupe
or Mini - S
Old 07-21-2006, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member

I would either get a STI if you have that much or do what I did. I traded in my TC (which I loved) and buy a 350Z. I love the car and very fast and still realiable. Just remember get what you want.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member

i have actually been considering the 350z or g35. but i just didnt list them. i have already driven the cobalt ss but the friction points were oddd but it couldve also been that it was a brand new clutch. like the friction point wen u started was way diff then wen u shifte i unno i dunt like it. the only downfall with the z is that its a 2 seater but then again the with the space on some back seats of cars it might as well be a 2 seater. but right now i feel as if i wait i might be able to get one of the new r32sdebuting oin late 2007 which is jus intime for graduation hmmmmm.....im gonna go and try to drive the 350z later today
Old 07-22-2006, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is one i guarantee you have not thought of
Chrysler Crossfire SRT6. Sticker price is over 45K, but they cannot sell them and are cutting the prices to under 30 G. Around 3000#, Supercharged V6 with 330HP, 19: wheels, 1/4 mile times in the low 13's stock, and loaded with every toy you can think of. Basically it's a Mercedes SLK with nicer looking body work.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, I'd get a BMW 325i(or 325xi since you live in IL, i dunno how your winters are...but you'll get more power than an IS250...and it handles better ofcourse) Evo(showin mitsu some love) or the MINI Cooper S
Old 07-22-2006, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

____ on BMW...friggin yuppie cars....dare to be diferent!!!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blackbelt
Here is one i guarantee you have not thought of
Chrysler Crossfire SRT6. Sticker price is over 45K, but they cannot sell them and are cutting the prices to under 30 G. Around 3000#, Supercharged V6 with 330HP, 19: wheels, 1/4 mile times in the low 13's stock, and loaded with every toy you can think of. Basically it's a Mercedes SLK with nicer looking body work.
Or a nice used srt4 with stage 3 turbo on it, is nice. By the way that is my weekend warrior car. Its great and wickedly fast.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's only fast till it dies like all the other SRT4's... If I were you I'd either get a tC to save as much money as possible and still drive a great car, or go all out on a top of the line Evo for $38k... You can also get a used Evo on ebay foer around $20k. If your loking for somthing in between those choices I'd say BMW 3xx.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

It hasnt died yet. I only have 11k on it. And the stage 3 kit is the mopar kit which is covered under warranty just like our superchargers. But I plan on trading it soon for a FJ cruiser. I've been pulled over twice because i live on state line on virginia and everything is illegal over there. I got them because it is too loud. None of the tickets held up because I havent modded the exhaust any way. Its just loud.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

WRX=very balanced car..power/suspension wise, great interior, exterior....

but with 30k....man...

Look into a nissan 350z...those are seriously super nice for 28k man...300hp 280tq....RWD....but ull be payin up the ___ for insurance....for most cars your age....specially a WRX!!!

GTIs=look great, TONS of wheel spin, Si is better....

spend a cold 34k or so for a s2000 but insurance again...

watch out for insurance.....
Old 07-23-2006, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

or u can buy a nicely premoded car for a good 20k...with 400whp hahajust a thought...never know...if you never worked on a car....and you hate countless hours of work...modding isnt for u...unless you PAY someome..