Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...
View Poll Results: Next Car
Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
100.00%
Saab 9-3 used
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Audi A3

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:38 AM
SL Member

Default Audi A3

Thinking about getting an Audi A3, love the engine, 2.0T, and the fact that it can come with 4 wheel drive. Anybody have one or have drove one and do you like it? Finally I have a few mods on my tC, lowering springs, exhaust, CAI, would it be worth it to put it back to stock or just trade in as is. I was also looking at a Saab 9-3, my first car, for a good winter car
Old 10-07-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Go back to stock......you get no money out of mods trading it in.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

make sure it's brand new...i had an 03 a4 with the all popular 1.8t and once you pass 60k or 70k...nothin but problems...
Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a fwd audi a3 2.0T with the s-tronic gear box. it was great, just about as fast as my supcharged tc. it was nice, handled well, nice and smooth going down the road and around corners. cynce also got one after trading in "her tc" and she loves it.

the saab 9-3 is really just a subaru impreza underneath, cept they weigh more and handle worse and cost more and because they are owned by GM, depreciate faster.

also, you don't get a nice new car for a winter car, you get a beat down car that still runs well and has ground clearance and awd/4wd because you don't want to put your nice car through the the harsh weather, salted roads, ice and debris being kicked up and cracking windshields and headlights or whatever.

the tc is front wheel drive, so it should do fine in mildly inclement weather, just get some rims with winter tires.

but if i was going to buy a new car to be my winter vehicle, i'd get a subaru outback with either the 2.5 liter turbo engie, or the 3.0 liter H6 engine. they have awd, ground clearance, and good engines and drivetrains.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:53 AM
SL Member

yeah my friend has an 1.8t and its falling apart but the new 2.0T is supposed to be a very reliable engine, just want another european turbochargered car , maybe a 135i (not a very good winter car though)
Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i had a fwd audi a3 2.0T with the s-tronic gear box. it was great, just about as fast as my supcharged tc. it was nice, handled well, nice and smooth going down the road and around corners. cynce also got one after trading in "her tc" and she loves it.

the saab 9-3 is really just a subaru impreza underneath, cept they weigh more and handle worse and cost more and because they are owned by GM, depreciate faster.

also, you don't get a nice new car for a winter car, you get a beat down car that still runs well and has ground clearance and awd/4wd because you don't want to put your nice car through the the harsh weather, salted roads, ice and debris being kicked up and cracking windshields and headlights or whatever.

the tc is front wheel drive, so it should do fine in mildly inclement weather, just get some rims with winter tires.

Its not just a winter car, it would be a car that would be good for a young professional that would adapt well to small upgrades, ie chip. I had a Saab 9-3 as my first car and it handled amazingly in the snow so just a thought
Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

i'd go with the 9-3 thats what I was looking into before the tc.... there so comfortable and still have the power to back it
Old 10-07-2008, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Audi.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

f the A3.
get the S3.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, I've owned a couple Saabs, been an enthusiast for most of my driving life... and I currently own an '01 S4 and the tC... I'm also looking at purchasing a Saab...

IMO, the A3 is a sure fire win... as long as you can get very low miles or don't mind the upkeep in maintenance costs.

The Saab would be very nice as well, but don't get anything other than the Aero model. They do depreciate fast, so just get one with low miles instead of new. You will, however, miss the AWD.

I love my Scion, but honestly, the number one thing that bugs me about it, is the interior build quality. It just doesn't seem sturdy, even though it is pretty well made. I suppose that is one reason the Audi and Saab are much heavier.

GL!
Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I used to work for Audi, so I got to drive A3's all the time. I love that car, it drives great, it's quick, the tranny has a great feeling to it, however I hate the 4-door. I would have looked into buying it, if it was offered as a 2-door (non-S3).

Also, go back to stock before trading in the tC. Aftermarket parts lower the value of the car. So you'll get more money for the car if it's stock, and you'll have a few hundred bucks more towards the down payment.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a heads up on the Saab 9-3. My brother has one, 2003 9-3, it is a nice car but the '03 had issues since it was the fist one GM messed around with. As far as I know '04 and later are still good. As far as just get an Aero, yeah get it if you can afford it. I have driven the 9-3 2.0t and it had good power and handling. But my bother is looking at getting rid of his since it is costing him so much money now. Do not expect these cars to be like a Japanese car to repair. They cost a lot more. I haven't had my tC in the snow yet to know how it handles so I can't compare, but the 9-3 isn't the best car in the snow, the back end tends to want to kick out a little more (even at low speeds) than other front wheel drive cars I have driven. But I do love driving my brother's Saab; I especially love the little Turbo gauge and the boots that comes with it.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 PM
SL Member

Has anybody traded in an 07 tC, because I've seen two different prices on bluebook and some other website, it has just over 8000 miles.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:00 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 09tC_CB7
Just a heads up on the Saab 9-3. My brother has one, 2003 9-3, it is a nice car but the '03 had issues since it was the fist one GM messed around with. As far as I know '04 and later are still good. As far as just get an Aero, yeah get it if you can afford it. I have driven the 9-3 2.0t and it had good power and handling. But my bother is looking at getting rid of his since it is costing him so much money now. Do not expect these cars to be like a Japanese car to repair. They cost a lot more. I haven't had my tC in the snow yet to know how it handles so I can't compare, but the 9-3 isn't the best car in the snow, the back end tends to want to kick out a little more (even at low speeds) than other front wheel drive cars I have driven. But I do love driving my brother's Saab; I especially love the little Turbo gauge and the boots that comes with it.
yeah my 99 9-3 was in the shop every other week. Blown headgasket, serpintine belt frayed and warped all the pulleys, a coolent line blew off. But I still wish I had that car.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brande0408
Has anybody traded in an 07 tC, because I've seen two different prices on bluebook and some other website, it has just over 8000 miles.
KBB.com minus $1000 is usually a good number to expect at a dealer. I'd say around $13,000 is a good number to expect. Go to a few other dealers (non-audi/saab) and tell them the car is paid off, and you just want to get an idea of how much they'll give for it. That way you can get a ballpark figure.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 PM
SL Member

Thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not the Volkswagen .:R32
Old 10-08-2008, 04:09 AM
SL Member

I like the styling of the A3 better and the R32 is not much faster than either the GTI or the A3 and I want to go turbo
Old 10-24-2008, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

I highly back the A3... I think I might even love it a little more than I did my tC ;)

Mine is the 2.0T with DSG tranny and Open Skye

Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
but if i was going to buy a new car to be my winter vehicle, i'd get a subaru outback with either the 2.5 liter turbo engie, or the 3.0 liter H6 engine. they have awd, ground clearance, and good engines and drivetrains.
Drax has it right on the nose about the whole subject.
A3. Great cars.

Quick Reply: Audi A3