Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

First car. G35 or FR-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 04:14 AM

Question First car. G35 or FR-S

Hey, so i recently went into a debate of whether i should purchase a G35 or FR-S
I know this is a really stupid comparison, especially on a SCION forum, but whatever.
I'm in highschool currently and so my parents are planning on purchasing me a used car.
And I had 2 cars in mind, the G35 Coupe 2006 and FR-S 2015. I've done some research and found that...

G35:
Significantly higher horsepower
Supposedly more comfortable

FR-S:
Better looks
Better handling
Better fuel economy

If you were in my position, which car would you get? I have asked around, and it seemed like everybody had tons of mixed answers. So im trying to go around the forums, asking for help and see which car would be the better choice.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member

Hey man. I am new here also and noticed there are very few people who are active. Here is my two cents though. I never driven a G35 coupe, but I have driven a G37 sedan for quite some time. The G has a lot of power. I giggle like a little girl and smile like an idiot every time I floor it. I just love getting pushed back in seat and hearing the engine rev. The handling is also superb and the car is a lot of fun in the twisties. I also love the sound of that VQ engine. I almost always drive with the radio off because I enjoy the sound of the engine. I believe the Gs are very reliable as long as you take care of it. The G35 is just a Nissan 350z with a back seat. The only bad thing about these cars is the gas mileage. With G37 I got 300 miles out of 17 gallons? Insurance also might be expensive with someone your age. I never driven the FRS but heard it is a fun little car. It does not get very good gas mileage for how small it is, I heard. It also reliable because it is made by ToyoBaru and cheap to maintain. I heard by a lot of people though that it is extremely underpowered! I read complaints that some owners have trouble passing in the freeway. The back seat also of the FRS is useless. It is too small for anyone who is over 5'6? I am sure the G35s back seat is a little bit better. Interior and exterior is very subjective. If you like luxury leather interior go for the G. The FRS has racing like recaro seat I think. I would go check out and test drive both cars. Both are good choices and you cant go wrong with either. It is a matter if what you like better. You can go also to Youtube and watch car reviews of both. They have a better and more detailed explanation of each car. I particulary like this youtuber named Subaruwrxfan. Go to his channel and search for the G35 and FRS review. Good luck on your decision man. Congratulations also in advance.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member

You can also check out the Hyundai Genesis. Those cars are very good for the money. You can buy used ones for lower than both the G and FRS. I heard they are also reliable and have a good warranty. The Genesis will give the G a run for its money and blow the doors off the FRS. You also did not mention weather you are getting Auto or Manual. There are plenty of nice cars out there other than the G or FRS like the WRX or Lancer Evo.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by SouthernCaliTC
Hey man. I am new here also and noticed there are very few people who are active. Here is my two cents though. I never driven a G35 coupe, but I have driven a G37 sedan for quite some time. The G has a lot of power. I giggle like a little girl and smile like an idiot every time I floor it. I just love getting pushed back in seat and hearing the engine rev. The handling is also superb and the car is a lot of fun in the twisties. I also love the sound of that VQ engine. I almost always drive with the radio off because I enjoy the sound of the engine. I believe the Gs are very reliable as long as you take care of it. The G35 is just a Nissan 350z with a back seat. The only bad thing about these cars is the gas mileage. With G37 I got 300 miles out of 17 gallons? Insurance also might be expensive with someone your age. I never driven the FRS but heard it is a fun little car. It does not get very good gas mileage for how small it is, I heard. It also reliable because it is made by ToyoBaru and cheap to maintain. I heard by a lot of people though that it is extremely underpowered! I read complaints that some owners have trouble passing in the freeway. The back seat also of the FRS is useless. It is too small for anyone who is over 5'6? I am sure the G35s back seat is a little bit better. Interior and exterior is very subjective. If you like luxury leather interior go for the G. The FRS has racing like recaro seat I think. I would go check out and test drive both cars. Both are good choices and you cant go wrong with either. It is a matter if what you like better. You can go also to Youtube and watch car reviews of both. They have a better and more detailed explanation of each car. I particularly like this youtuber named Subaruwrxfan. Go to his channel and search for the G35 and FRS review. Good luck on your decision man. Congratulations also in advance.
Thanks! I appreciate you taking your time and replying to this thread. Yea i have noticed that these threads rarely receive any replies.
Although one post from you helps a lot. I'll go into further researching for these 2 cars and hope that I'll find one that fits. Its hard, you know. Because g35 is looks and speed. But the FR-S has better fuel eco and handling.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I had a G35, its a fun car, you easily drift and has lots of power and is comfortable (it is considered a luxury car. The best thing about the car is the motor. I mean it's one of the best motors I have ever driven and the SOUND is second to none. I mean if you want power, comfort, and that unique sound get the G35. I have had an Integra GS-R modified, RSX modified, G35 stock, BMW 335i stock, and I would pick the FRS all day.

Personally since I have a BRZ and had the G35 at this point in time I would get the FRS/BRZ for several different reasons.

1. BRZ/FRS is a truly an enthusiast car, definitely will get smoked by most cars but it handles like a dream. It's well balanced and if you really want to make power, put on a turbo or super charger.
2. Car alone is enough to take to the track just put some new tires on it and its ready to go, this is probably one of my favorite cars and one of the best cars I have driven.
3.Technology - the 2006 G35 technology is way outdated, actually just bluetooth technology that syncs your phone and music together. Other than that the G35 is better, especially the sounds system.
4. Also as the other person said the gas mileage pretty much sucks ___ on that car, it is a V6.
5. Drifting - both can go into a drift easily.
6.BRZ/FRS can handle, take it on some turns you'll fall in love with this car.
7. Refresh models coming out in 2017 (side note)

Cons and its not about power, I wish it had VTEC, it would be the perfect car for me.

Honestly I had both cars hands down I would get the FRS/BRZ over the G35. I more of an enthusiast, if you want to impress some ladies get the luxury car but G35 is a bit dated to impress the ladies.

Well if you do get FR-S PM me or check out my Subaru86.

www.subaru86.com
Old 09-01-2015, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A G that is being replaced or an FRS Dealers Are Clueless About the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ
Old 09-01-2015, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheotherBMan
What do you mean? May you please clarify?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mostly, when models are discontinued the resale drops considerably and when one has complaints that aren't solved, the same thing. For a first car, it's way better if you have good resale value, so when you do find the car you really want, there is stronger resale, therefore a better down payment. When you need help deciding which car to get, it really isn't the one you want and will quickly get tired of it, especially if it is expensive to drive/maintain/insure. A car is more than a way to get from point a to point b and they're too expensive to use as an accessory, unless your dad is Jay Leno.
Good luck with your choice.