Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Lookin at the Civic Si, Rsx type S, New GTI, and WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Banned

Default Lookin at the Civic Si, Rsx type S, New GTI, and WRX

test drove all 3 and nothing comes close to the gti in overall results...i feel that the gti is more than a complete car...what u think???
Old 03-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Banned

more reason why i want a gti more and more...check out these videos i found

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/golfgo..._drive_222.mpg

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/golfgo...hgear_gti1.wmv

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/golfgoodies/gti-autox.avi
Old 03-15-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was looking at the GTI as a possible replacement for my xa in a couple years but first I wanna see what the next Mini Cooper will be like.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned

i also test drove the wrx...and insuranse would b nearly $1000 more and sucks up more gas...still does not have that feel of the gti..gti drives much better i was very impressed...
Old 03-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Banned
SL Member

I have the new GTI and i'm in love with it...just got it chipped and its a completly different car once i chipped it..def buy it if u like the German smooth feel/ride
Old 03-15-2006, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are getting the base WRX, than get the GTI, but if you have the $flow$ for an STI, get it and blow the doors off of GTI owners. You get AWD, turbo, and Brembo brakes, as well as 17'BBS wheels! It owns in every way, and Subaru is more reliable then VW could ever dream to be. Just read Consumer Reports.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Banned
SL Member

o ya and about the STI its a 35k car and STi front brakes: $330 each disc, $300+ brake pads. That's the most expensive OEM braking system ever installed on a car under $40k. It sure makes me wonder how much was left for the other important stuff and where they cut corners to get them on the car and stay in budget. brakes are going to cost more, so will new tires. Everything for the STI will probably cost double what it would for the gti. Have you contacted insurance company to see how much your rates will change if you buy the STI? They will rip you a new @$$hole...You gotta be an absoulout retart to spend 35k on a subaru..spend on a g35 if u got that much money to spend..A gti with jsut a chip and Turboback exhaust can beat a Stock Sti on a roll/highway but if the sti is modded thats a different story wait til they come out with the turbokits
Old 03-15-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TcDepo
o ya and about the STI its a 35k car and STi front brakes: $330 each disc, $300+ brake pads. That's the most expensive OEM braking system ever installed on a car under $40k. It sure makes me wonder how much was left for the other important stuff and where they cut corners to get them on the car and stay in budget. brakes are going to cost more, so will new tires. Everything for the STI will probably cost double what it would for the gti. Have you contacted insurance company to see how much your rates will change if you buy the STI? They will rip you a new @$$hole...You gotta be an absoulout retart to spend 35k on a subaru..spend on a g35 if u got that much money to spend..A gti with jsut a chip and Turboback exhaust can beat a Stock Sti on a roll/highway but if the sti is modded thats a different story wait til they come out with the turbokits
If you would have cared to read the first 10 words of my post you would have clearly read that I stated "if you have the $flow to buy one" AND , Actually it wouldn't be stupid to pay that much for a Subaru. It's all about what one likes, and what one is looking for in a car. Sure the GTI probably could beat it on the highway after the modding you mentioned, but it wouldn't smoke it. On the other hand the STI would crush it on a track! Not to mention that when an STI passes by everyone (yourself included) gives the car a second, or even a third look! I don't think the same could be said for the Golf unless it's loud as hell, and obviously tuned up.... The STI carries a status that no car in VW's line up besides the Phaeton, or an R34 can match.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned
SL Member

idc what anyones says why buy a sti when insuranse rips u a new @sshole with that car and parts for it r so expensive...for 35k buy a more classy more luxiorous car like G35 or TL thats class not cheap @ss lookin sti...Gti is much better overall car then a wrx i dont care what anyones says wrx wishes it can drive like a gti...the sti or wrx may b faster bone stock but does not have the comfort and ride of german engineerin soryy buddy but at 25k nicely equiped the gti is the way to go... Racing is not the only reason u buy a car u buy a car that u will enjoy drivin everyday and be comfortable drivin...oo wow its faster in a quarter but in everyday drivin who has more top end speed buddy...Autobahn Speed Tested
dood think what u want my friends 02 20AE GTI with the a APR STAGE 3 PLUS KIT $hits all over evos and sti's, m3's and keeps up with corvettes z06 so dont even tell me they have no potenial..
Old 03-16-2006, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idc what anyones says why buy a sti when insuranse rips u a new @sshole with that car and parts for it r so expensive...for 35k buy a more classy more luxiorous car like G35 or TL thats class not cheap @ss lookin sti...Gti is much better overall car then a wrx i dont care what anyones says wrx wishes it can drive like a gti...the sti or wrx may b faster bone stock but does not have the comfort and ride of german engineerin soryy buddy but at 25k nicely equiped the gti is the way to go... Racing is not the only reason u buy a car u buy a car that u will enjoy drivin everyday and be comfortable drivin...oo wow its faster in a quarter but in everyday drivin who has more top end speed buddy...Autobahn Speed Tested
dood think what u want my friends 02 20AE GTI with the a APR STAGE 3 PLUS KIT $hits all over evos and sti's, m3's and keeps up with corvettes z06 so dont even tell me they have no potenial..
Here we go again. The STI and the G35/TL are cars in totally different classes. Those are luxury cars, and the STI is an all-out performance machine. An STI will run rings around a G35 all day. And that's the point. You get a ridiculous amount of performance for your money. STI's and WRX's don't have the comfortable ride of a GTI because they outhandle it all day. There's the trade-off with suspension, either you have better ride/less handling or vice versa. And frankly, for $33,000, nothing even comes close to outperforming the STI except the Evo (which is neck and neck in perfromance, but reliability and interior quality is not so good). In fact, short of $45,000+, nothing can really match it.

Out of curiosity, APR Stage III for the 1.8t is 290hp/295tq right? What else has he done to the car that he "$hits on" cars with more power than him (Evos unofficially push about 320hp stock, STI's 300hp, M3 333hp), and "keeps up" with C5 Z06s at 400hp and C6 Z06s with 500hp? Especially considering all of those cars except the M3 are within about 100 pounds of each other, and ALL have superior drivetrains.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Skunk, I couldn't have said it better myself! Seriously, if you want performance the STI is the way to go. I like the new GTI, and yes I know it's a more comfortable car, and yes I know it's auto bahn tested (I had an 01 Jetta VR6) so I know all about longer gears and higher top end speeds, but unless you are drag racing, or on the interstate you will never do over 120 mph! The STI is more car than the GTI, and again like I said before it would CRUSH the GTI on the track! I love G35's an other's in the same price class but if you are looking for performance it's Subaru all the way! Besides VW's are not that reliable like people would like to think. Japanese cars own in reliability/practicality. I would drive a Lexus over a Benz any day of the week. My VR6 always had some bull____ electronic problems. and I've read other stories about VW's reliability as well. Read Consumer Reports man....
Old 03-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned
SL Member

uhhh actally my friend has the APR STAGE 3 PLUS KIT And he gets 320whp and 300ft lbs of torque....And yes u heard right he eats evos and sti's M3's on a roll for breakfast.

click on the link and read http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/stage3plus_trans.html
Old 03-16-2006, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This still doesn't mean anything....
Old 03-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

The VAG 1.8T has quickly proven itself as one of the most technological power plants available. While the engineers who developed the kit made fantastic gains in both efficiency and reliability.

-------------WAIT FOR THE MK V APR TURBOKITS TO COME OUT----------------

Then come back and tell me they are slow when they smoke sti's and evos... if a chip and a turboback exhaust gives u like 280hp at 300lbs ft tq, thats enough to keep up with an sti just imagine the turbokit they are gonna come out for this 2.0T powerplant...forget get about cheap a$$ lookin subaru and unreliable/cheap @ss lookin evo...it'll be faster then both and still drive the same and smoother ride then what they wish...

APR ARE QUALITY KITS...PEACE OUT V DUB HATERS
Old 03-17-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if one of these chipped and modded GTIs run up with an equally modded Evo or STi or Z06, what would happen.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uhhh actally my friend has the APR STAGE 3 PLUS KIT And he gets 320whp and 300ft lbs of torque....And yes u heard right he eats evos and sti's M3's on a roll for breakfast.

click on the link and read http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/stage3plus_trans.html
That's why I asked you what ELSE has he done, since you weren't paying any attention. And well, APR's dynos say 306whp if *you* were to read the link but whatever. I still get to throw out the BS flag, since there's no way in hell 306whp keeps up with a Z06 from a dig, from a roll, around a track, or whatever.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
I wonder if one of these chipped and modded GTIs run up with an equally modded Evo or STi or Z06, what would happen.
*Exactly.* Comparng modded to stock is ridiculous.

It's $5000 for that APR Stage 3+ kit. For about $3500 you can get an Evo to about 400whp. And more importantly, probably like 50% (conservatively) of the Evos you see on the street are pushing that much power or close to it, if not more.

Modded STI's aren't really as dangerous but there are still plenty of 350+hp STI's out there. Hell, a WRX with a chip and exhaust pushes 300hp.

And I hold that this guy is talking out his @ss about Z06s. A stock C5 Z06 would have no problem at all stomping the life out of even a 320whp GTI. All day, from a stop, roll, around a track, with a fox, in a box. A C6 Z06 shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. A non-Z06 C6 could crush him. A completely stock C5 Vette, *maybe* he could keep up with it, that would be somewhat believable.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:38 AM
Banned
SL Member

but remember ur comparin a car that was $22,000 at the time to a $35,000 add another $5000 on mods thats 40grand u gotta b on some fcukin serious crack to spend that much money on a mitsubshi or subaru whihc is sooooooo ridiculously cheap lookin and very low class...doood believe what u wanna believe my friend kept up with a z06 u guys dont know $hit have u ever been on a car with a stasge 3 plus noooo so shut it remeber we are talkin about the older motor the 1.8t...jsut wait and see for the new kits they will come out for the 2.0T's just wait...just be patient dont hate when u got spend $35,000 on a car that has no leather and crappy interior and rough ride...to a car thats 25,000 with audi like interior heated leather seats climate control with a turbo upgrade ____s all over sti's and evo comfortably and smoothly
Old 03-17-2006, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but remember ur comparin a car that was $22,000 at the time to a $35,000 add another $5000 on mods thats 40grand u gotta b on some fcukin serious crack to spend that much money on a mitsubshi or subaru whihc is sooooooo ridiculously cheap lookin and very low class...doood believe what u wanna believe my friend kept up with a z06 u guys dont know $hit have u ever been on a car with a stasge 3 plus noooo so shut it remeber we are talkin about the older motor the 1.8t...jsut wait and see for the new kits they will come out for the 2.0T's just wait...just be patient dont hate when u got spend $35,000 on a car that has no leather and crappy interior and rough ride...to a car thats 25,000 with audi like interior heated leather seats climate control with a turbo upgrade ____s all over sti's and evo comfortably and smoothly
Actually, Lancer Evo 8s started at about $27K. Anniversary GTIs left the showroom at around $24K. So, $24K + $5K for Stage 3+ is $29K. At $27K for an Evo, plus $3.5K, that's $30.5K. So an extra $1,500 gets you close to 150 more crank horsepower, AWD, and far superior handling.

Yes, I've been in plenty of highly modified GTIs and Rabbits. They are fast, they feel ridiculously fast, and they still aren't touching a Vette that has an extra 80-100hp. End of story. You friend either lied to you or was racing a normal C5.

P.S. Premium WRX's (like mine) come with heated seats, *leather*, climate control, 6-cd changer, foglights, windshield deicer, tilt or sliding moonroof, heated mirrors, power everything, security, etc. The STI costs $33K (not $35K) and gets all of that except the leather/moonroof. And as I've told you before, the interior is very nice in the 05s+.

Nobodys hating on VWs here, I'm just calling you out on all your BS.

P.S. I really like the GTI's interior. I just think it's hilarious that people pay $50K for an S4 with virtually the same interior.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned
SL Member

whatever i dont care what u think all i gotta say is jsut wait and see when the APR KIT COMES OUT for the 2.0T...they are goin unveil it on April 1st...Expect 350-400hp from this kit

And the evo is the biggest piece of crap they breaksdown all the time

lol and i think its ridiculous that people pay 35k for a subaru or mitsubshi with the interior it has...yet a s4 will always be an s4 no matter what lets see which would bring more attention

Quick Reply: Lookin at the Civic Si, Rsx type S, New GTI, and WRX