Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

New Camry Hybrid VERY Disappointing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 08:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New Camry Hybrid VERY Disappointing!

Well, to tell the truth, I like the looks of this new Camry, but the hybrid model stinks. EPA for the hybrid is 43mpg city & 37mpg highway. Given the extra cost for the hybrid model, thats actually quite pathetic. You can almost get that rating with a standard corolla or a Scion xA for much much less. Cant Toyota do better than that??

Other auto makers also showed a bunch of new hybrid models at this years Detroit Auto Show & they were all pretty terrible. Most of them were big SUV's or trucks that all get around 27-32mpg. Wow, im like so NOT impressed.

These auto makers are going about this hybrid thing all wrong, even Toyota. Why do they have to spend all this money & effort to put hybrid engines into big a$$ SUVs or cars that didnt get good mpg to begin with? Are people really gonna be that impressed & pay allot extra for an SUV that gets........*Drum Roll*..........28mpg!!!!??? Thats moronic.

Why the hell cant they come out with a hybrid version of a car that already gets great gas milege so we would see a bigger benefit in mpg? Like Corolla, xA, xB, etc. I swear, if they came out with an xB hybrid version that cost a couple thousand more, I would totally get it & I think allot of other people would too. The mpg would be a huge increase! Or better yet, a diesel hybrid would be outstanding. But, are they working on this? NO! But hey, they got a new Saturn Vue hybrid that gets a whopping 27mpg. Sheesh.

I dont understand what they are thinking. This isnt helping the situation at all. Link to new hybrid models at Detroit Auto Show. Very unimpressive.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the hybrid camry is rated at 192hp, so 43/37mpg isn't really shabby at all. Also, you're comparing completely different sizes/classes of vehicles when you were comparing the camry to the corolla and the xa -- both of those cars cannot hold nearly as much stuff and/or sit people as comfortably as the camry. The Hybrid Camry offers quite a bit more power (but is quite a bit heavier than the other two models), more space, most likely more refined driving dynamics (if it's anything like the current gasoline model, it will be very refined), and good gas mileage to go along with that.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hydrids are not all entirely about high MPG. If you want high MPG go buy a diesel...except available diesel models in the US is scarce compared to the rest of the world. The Camry Hybrid is able to attain Advance Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle status...similar to the Prius. The new GS430H(?) only gets a Super Low Emissions Vehicle status. However the GSH is more performance oriented. The xB only gets Low EV status.

If I buy a hybrid, high MPG will not be at the top of the requirement:
#1. Emissions rating
#2. Power/torque delivery at 0-40MPH (get up 'n go).
Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lyrictenor1
Well, the hybrid camry is rated at 192hp, so 43/37mpg isn't really shabby at all. Also, you're comparing completely different sizes/classes of vehicles when you were comparing the camry to the corolla and the xa -- both of those cars cannot hold nearly as much stuff and/or sit people as comfortably as the camry. The Hybrid Camry offers quite a bit more power (but is quite a bit heavier than the other two models), more space, most likely more refined driving dynamics (if it's anything like the current gasoline model, it will be very refined), and good gas mileage to go along with that.
Well, its true that the xA/xB and Camry are in different classes, but I dont think they are that different when it comes to space & sitting people comfortably. Especially with the xB & its tons of front/rear legroom & headroom. And as far as actual usable space, the xB wins hands down because the trunk & cabin are combined. You can put large items in an xB that you could never put in a Camry, just because its a car with a trunk VS a sorta mini-mini van with a hatch.

I just think they are concentrating on power too much & not enough on fuel efficiency. Not everyone needs a 192hp Camry Hybrid with an MSRP of $25,000. They are just scaring away potential hybrid customers. But with gas prices the way they are, most people just want a nice, fuel-efficent car that will get them around & not have to pay a fortune for it. Toyota (and others) are missing out on a potential revolution for the hybrid industry. The time is right for them to release a consumer-based hybrid.

Why cant they do that?? The new Toyota Yaris would be perfect because its already priced super low (like $10,500 base) and gets awesome mpg already. Add a couple extra thousand onto that price for a hybrid model & that would be something everyone could afford. Think of it. The added cost to put in a hybrid engine is around $3,000-$4,000. So, that would be a brand new Toyota Yaris Hybrid for about $15,000 that would probably get at least 60mpg (or more). If that ever happened, Toyota couldnt make enough of them because they would sell like crazy.

Everyone now knows about hybrids. Gas prices arent coming down ever again. The market is ready for a consumer-based hybrid now.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Keitaro
Hydrids are not all entirely about high MPG. If you want high MPG go buy a diesel...except available diesel models in the US is scarce compared to the rest of the world. The Camry Hybrid is able to attain Advance Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle status...similar to the Prius. The new GS430H(?) only gets a Super Low Emissions Vehicle status. However the GSH is more performance oriented. The xB only gets Low EV status.

If I buy a hybrid, high MPG will not be at the top of the requirement:
#1. Emissions rating
#2. Power/torque delivery at 0-40MPH (get up 'n go).
No offense, but you are not the norm. Most people buy hybrids because of the improved fuel economy. The low emissions rating is a given & an added bonus. Thats the whole point of shelling out the extra cash for a hybrid. For most people, anyway.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

plus in some states Hybrid owners get tax brakes
Old 01-20-2006, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is not really any sort of news or press release or article. Moving...

(BTW... 28 mpg for an SUV IS pretty good. Go look up some other ones)
Old 01-20-2006, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you add the weight of the battery pack to a Yaris, you will most likely loose the great mileage you once had.

It is well known that most people in this country don't base their car buying decisions on mileage. It is a concern, but it is not the deal breaker. Why else do families of 3 get a huge SUV? Because they want it.
Same goes for 500+ hp cars...They have never been more plentiful.

The statement was made that gas prices will never come down again... Just less than 6 months ago it was over $3 a gallon, so it can come down.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

People care about mpg because a higher mpg saves money, right? So the goal is to save money...

Buying hybrids nowadays won't save you money because you still pay extra for the hybrid technology and gas isn't expensive enough to make up the difference....at least for now.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
People care about mpg because a higher mpg saves money, right? So the goal is to save money...

Buying hybrids nowadays won't save you money because you still pay extra for the hybrid technology and gas isn't expensive enough to make up the difference....at least for now.
you save in the long run
Old 01-20-2006, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not really when the break even is about 5 years down the road..If you trade before then you lost.

Personally, I'd love to see what they could do with the diesel hybrid. Run that bad boy on man made fuels.... And the torque you can get out of them........That would be a trip!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

People usually buy hybrids to make a statement. Thats why the Prius is the best selling hybrid. As stated above, you don't really save money by purchasing a hybrid.

The only thing I like about hybrids are that in CA, those that get >45mpg can drive in the HOV/carpool lane with only the driver in the car.

Besides that, I dont like the added weight of the batteries, added cost, and slow acceleration time.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

just my 2 cents..
some families need an SUV. can you leagaly fit 6 or 7 people in an xB or xA? and some need towing capability. i know someone that would love to have more fuel efficient car but that won't pull a 5000-10000lb horse trailer.
Plus this america, we have freedom of choice and if someone can afford something then why shouldn't the get what they work hard to have. i know its a touchy subject and i expect the hate posts to start any min lol...

oh and 28mpg for a decent size SUV is really good.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No hate from me tC.....You made a very good point.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I think that peestandingup is mostly mistaken.

Hybrids, whether you like it or not, ARE the future of automotive technology. It improves economy, improves power production, and vastly improves emissions. The environmental impact is the greatest benefit to hybrid technology, with power and economy coming in second. A sedan that gets 44mpg? An SUV that gets 28mpg? How is either of those things bad? Those are called improvement. Evolution.

Now let's look at the numbers. So instead of making the most popular car in America in hybrid, you would take a car with already great fuel economy and tack on 50% to the price. Brilliant.

And where did you get the $25K price tag for the Camry Hybrid? Toyota has not released ANY pricing information on that car. Your argument holds no water until the facts come out.

Yes, hybrid technology costs more. But only for a little while longer. Our technology is advancing at such a rapid rate, our production rates will follow very quickly. Pretty soon, it will odd for a car to NOT be hybrid. You watch - Toyota ALREADY dictates what happens in the automotive world. We've decided (correctly) that hybrid technology is what is the future. Once the rest of the industry gets on board, it will be obvious.

LATER
Old 01-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I see hybrid technology going into SUVs and other larger, inefficient vehicles, I see the technology going into the vehicles that need it most.

If one has an actual need for the size and capabilities of an SUV (as I did with my engineering job, etc.) It would be nice to get reasonable mileage.

Improving the milage capabilities of a larger vehicle saves the fuel of several small ones, and does more overall good.

Think of it as if the manufacturer were to eventually turn their entire line into high-milage vehicles.

One starts at the small, reasonably priced end to 'prove the concept' (Prius), and once that is done one makes the changes where it will have that most overall effect: High volume vehicles with mediocre mileage (Camry, etc.), and vehicles with very poor milage (SUVs, etc.).

The only way making a Camry into a higher milage vehicle, while still being a Camry, is to retain the reasons people buy that particular line, and that includes it's performance. One does NOT do it by making it a stripped down 100HP econo-car... One makes a Camry that simply gets better milage and retains (or improves) on the expected performance and features.

It's a business, folks, and that business is one of selling a LOT of cars... :D
Old 01-20-2006, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still think hybrids today are heavily hyped up.

Most hybrids have good mpg because they lack horsepower. The same applies to standard ICEs.

Once the new EPA mileage testing standards are revised in 08, we will all see that the perceived mileage benefit isnt really that great for hybrids.

With respect to the environment, what do you say about the batteries that all hybrids have. Where will they be disposed of? How toxic are they?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

How do you figure that hybrids lack horsepower? The Highlander Hybrid is FASTER than the gas version, doing 0-60 in 7.2 seconds! The new Camry Hybrid will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 MORE HP than the standard gas car.

You must be thinking of the Insight and Civic hybrids. The Accord Hybrid is the fastest in that lineup as well.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys, im all for improving gas milege in ALL vehicles, including SUVs. Im just trying to make the point that there is currently no consumer-based hybrid. Everything right now is power power power. Thats all good, but im just saying lots of people dont need all that.

And YES, gas prices will NEVER come down. Just because prices are below $3 now, dont mean much. Dont you worry, we will see those prices again soon. I for one am tired of playing the "watch the gas prices" game. And I know lots of other people who are too.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
Not really when the break even is about 5 years down the road..If you trade before then you lost.

Personally, I'd love to see what they could do with the diesel hybrid. Run that bad boy on man made fuels.... And the torque you can get out of them........That would be a trip!
Savings is proportional to gas price. . . and that calculation dates waaaay back to when hybrids were first introduced. Back then, I think gas was about $1.60. . . not it's increased substantially. I did a big long economic report on this for my thesis, about a year ago. I'd have to dig up the old excel files.

I did a pretty in dept analysis. . . you have to consider that you do not completely lose the money you put in: yes there is depreciation, but the added cost of a hybrid is partially recovered when you sell the car.

And for outright MPG, diesels are probably a better bang/buck. . . at least for what is available in Europe.

Quick Reply: New Camry Hybrid VERY Disappointing!