Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Nissan Juke vs. Scion xD

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 PM

Default Nissan Juke vs. Scion xD

As I was walking to work this morning I spotted one of the rarest of birds: a Scion xD. It is so rare to see them (at least here in NYC) that as I was walking up on it I first thought it was a Nissan Juke. It was precisely at that moment that I realized that the two cars are really similar and that Nissan may very well be trying to move down-market (or is it laterally) and appeal to the younger, more hip drivers that flock to the Scion brand.

So, what do you think? Do you like the Nissan Juke or the Scion xD better?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They're not in the same class... The Juke is a more upmarket - more features, more attention to driving dynamics, and more power (the xd is what, 130 hp?). Simply not comparable... Closer to the xd in Nissans stable would be the Versa.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Occam
They're not in the same class... The Juke is a more upmarket - more features, more attention to driving dynamics, and more power (the xd is what, 130 hp?). Simply not comparable... Closer to the xd in Nissans stable would be the Versa.
Thanks for the great reply. I guess I asked because, at first sight, the Juke reminded me of the xD. But, after hearing what you have to say and looking a little more closely at the Versa I see your point. Still, when you compare the xD and the Versa (or even the Juke for that matter) it seems like Scion wins hands down on the styling and aesthetic fronts.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think the Juke looks anything like an XD. I believe the Juke is considered an SUV. It's certainly as tall as one.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rvinyl
Thanks for the great reply. I guess I asked because, at first sight, the Juke reminded me of the xD. But, after hearing what you have to say and looking a little more closely at the Versa I see your point. Still, when you compare the xD and the Versa (or even the Juke for that matter) it seems like Scion wins hands down on the styling and aesthetic fronts.
The styling is far more conservative. Neither car is very engaging to drive (the xD being more or less Yaris based). The Versa is larger and has more cargo space, and almost every interior surface is nicer (soft touch dash and door panels, padded fabric inserts, padded armrests). Honestly, the interior is midsized-car-nice. It's also very softly sprung - very French feeling. That said, it's dull as dishwater to drive and the cvt makes me want to smash kittens.

(guess what my wife drives!)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Wow! That's about the best synopsis I've ever read. So, the Versa really is as lackluster as it has always appeared. Off to the Nissan forums to find out if it has any appeal for brand loyalists!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not a bad car - just not exciting at all to drive. It's perfect for someone who wants a roomy, frugal car and doesn't really care about driving.

Neither the xD or Versa hold a candle to the Fit on driving pleasure or cargo capability.

And of course the Nissan forums will defend them. Confirmation bias. When people spend $10,000+ on a purchase, they will do anything to feel they made the right choice.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:00 PM

Confirmation bias it is. I can''t wait to see what else they have to say.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:45 PM
CSM
5 Year Member

Like the fact that the Juke comes with a turbo from the factory