Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

problem with 97 corolla, dead battery and parking lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default problem with 97 corolla, dead battery and parking lights

hey ya, on my 97 corolla, which i'm trying to sell, something has happened. first thing is that i have no parking lights at all. i turn the switch for it and it makes the click of a relay, but no lights turn on. also, on my corolla, it used to make a chime when you would turn on the lights with the door open and the engine off, to tell you that the lights are still on, and you should turn them off. it doesn't do that anymore. i checked the taillights fuse, but it's still good.

i checked to make sure i'm not leaving any lights on anywhere, i disconnected the trunk light, yesterday i ripped out the alarm system. i has nothing electrical added to it at all from stock condition.

my battery will also not hold a charge overnight anymore. it is a new battery, i got it about 4 months ago. i will have it tested at autozone today. i have to jumpstart the car every morning when i go to check on it. once i jump start it and pull the jumper cables off, i checked the voltage, to see if the alternator was going bad, but it charges at a steady 14.4v or so...

this sucks, i really need to get rid of this car and it took a crap again. help me out, thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, heres an update. i got my battery tested, it's good. the tail lights fuse blew. it's 15 amps. so, i thought i would take out the tail lights and check all the connections and the wires for the lights, well, everything looks ok...

so, i replaced the 15 amp tail lights fuse with a 5 amp, while the lights were disconnected and flipped the switch for the lights to come on. it blew the fuse right away. so, i tried with a 25 amp fuse, it made the reminder chime for a second, then blew the fuse. so, this tells me i have a short somewhere, having to do with the tail lights circuit. i'll have to decipher my haynes manual wiring diagram and track it down.

also, since the fuse blew, my battery holds a charge.