Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

project car

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by george_da_2nd
i dotn own the car yet im only tellin you what im gettin told in the fourms. but look at an sti AWD 300 at the crank and it hits 13.3 at the woodburn drag. so 300+ hp in a RWD car i should get into the high 12's sounded feasable to me
High 12's I can see possibly.

I would just watch what you read on these forums, even what im telling you, but people like to exagerate numbers like nobodys business.

Just to put the HP in prospective, my unlce has a TT LS1 vette, and he runs a 10.9 with 800+ HP. A lot has to do with traction, and he could probably run mid 10's, but that 800 friggin HP.

I bult my car to have fun, I didn't build it to be the fastes, there will ALWAYS be somone faster.

I am not saying the car you will build wont be fast, but expect to put WAY more money into it if you want 10's, or even 11's

You gotta pay to play.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and for someone who claims to know so much you should know tha horsepower is a generic term max hp means nothing there are so many factors to look at. where it is when it is how long it holds where the HP and TQ curves meet. ive seen a 500 hp rx7 beat a 700 hp supra in the 1/4 mile. hp isant everything what i consern my self with most is track slips they are a good indicator of how fast and how much power a car has.
And I total agree, you also have to consider weight, gearing, traction, ect.

but the Supra is a boat, and the RX7 is probably much lighter, better power to weight ratio.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya i know to get it into the 11 im lookin got spend another 3 grand ontop of th e5 grand to rebuild it and turbo it nto to mention about 2 grand in wheeles and suspention. but righ tnow im just going to get it to stag e0 and shut up my friend then ill take it apart and go nuts
Old 09-29-2006, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and for someone who claims to know so much you should know tha horsepower is a generic term max hp means nothing there are so many factors to look at. where it is when it is how long it holds where the HP and TQ curves meet. ive seen a 500 hp rx7 beat a 700 hp supra in the 1/4 mile. hp isant everything what i consern my self with most is track slips they are a good indicator of how fast and how much power a car has.
First off HP and TQ always meet at 5250 rpms. Im pretty sure track slips dont really tell you how fast a car is. They tell you how well your HP, WGHT, suspension, and driver work together to go down a straight line for a few seconds. And about the only thing at the 1/4 strip that has a lot to do with your power is trap speed.

You should really look into an LT1 F-body, fits your criteria perfectly for what you want.
Your posts are also extremely hard to read you should try and use some punctuation.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dotn own the car yet im only tellin you what im gettin told in the fourms. but look at an sti AWD 300 at the crank and it hits 13.3 at the woodburn drag. so 300+ hp in a RWD car i should get into the high 12's sounded feasable to me
AT the strip an AWD car is a lot easier to leave. I dont think you understand how tricky it is to drive a manual, powerful RWD car at the strip.
The only thing that a RWD car has over an AWD car is dyno numbers, since the RWD platform generally looses less horsepower to the wheels.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:43 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Enthusiast
This thread is becoming hilarious! I have typed up a response three times now only to delete them and consider it a waste of my time.
George da 2nd, for someone who responds to others as though your knowledge is superior to everyone else's, you seem to be missing out on some logic with IC motors. When was the last time you built a motor? From what you have posted, it appears you know little about IC motors in general, and are spouting out what you have heard others tell you.
The simple fact is that ALL IC motors, including rotor-based motors like the Rex, utilize simple physics to produce force. Logic would tell you that the more leverage you can supply, the more force can be applied. This is why a V8 can and generally does produce more force than a 4-cylinder engine if all other variables are the same.
Now, if you are interested in making 300+ hp out of a 4-cylinder motor, you are going to need some sort of forced induction. Since the 4-cylinder motor is not going to be able to support the amount of force FI will supply, you will need to build a stronger bottom end. This means forged rods, pistons, crankshaft, etc..
Your motor is not the only part that may not support this kind of power. Your drivetrain may also have a difficult time with it.
Rather than insult or demean those that are responding to your posts, why not listen to what they have to say and then take it for what it's worth to you. It would seem you have blown off or talked down to a few people in this thread that may know more than you about this topic.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

allrigh tim not retarted that 5 grand was going into forged internials and the reason ive been a dick is this went form a question about what would make a fun project car into a mussle car/import car thred which isant want i wanted i was just gettin ____ed off that so many people were posting about absoulty nothing about the origional topic so i though i would be a dick so no someone please lock this thred its out grown its welcome
Old 09-29-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and everyone around here so far hjas been 19 to 21 not old enough to relaly know what their talking about yet same gose for my self now if peopl in their 30's and up were posting i would take their knowlege to heart but this is the tipical convo i have with my friend and its quite frusterating
Old 09-29-2006, 09:41 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Age has nothing to do with it, George. I am a bit older than 19 or 20 if it makes you feel any better.
As for your plight, I would recommend checking into an older Rex. There is just something about telling someone who you just dusted the crap out of, that you have a 1.3L motor with NO pistons, rods, cam, or even valves! The looks are always gratifying. And to add some FYI, the RX-7's are RWD, and can wrap up MUCH higher than your average I4, V6, or V8. Most of them run redline in the 9000rpm range with many built motors screaming on up to 11,000!
To add, if you do learn the intricacies of rotary motors, you may find yourself with a very fun and rewarding future career. There aren't a great deal of GOOD tuners that know rotaries. The only reliable one I can think of is Rotary Performance in Dallas, TX. They had an amateur running in the 7's with a later model Rex! That thing was freaky looking tearing up the track.
To really turn heads, look for a late 80's GSL-SE with a 13B. A friend of mine races his periodically, and it is funny to watch that little 1800 lb. turbocharged go-kart kick a Mustang GT's @$$! Consistant 13.0's for a car that he paid $1500 for is pretty crazy!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Age has nothing to do with experience. And you are the one that turned it into a Muscle Car vs Import thread, with all your tiny ***** talk.
And if you werent so close minded and ignorant and actually researched ALL the options you may find a car to better suit your need and goals.
Oh and I didnt recomend the LT1 because its a domestic I recommended it because it comes with 275 hp reliably, initial cost is cheap as hell, aftermarket support is awesome, and I can crank out 27 mpg with my 3.73 rear gears. Also your boosted 4 at an LT1s stock output will have considerably more strain on it, and with mods the gap only becomes larger.
I love domestics but unlike you I am willing to look into the other spectrum (imports) because I am a general car guy, why the hell do you think im on a SCION sight. I think you should quit being so damn immature and do a lil research and ask for advice and actually accept it instead of turning it all away and acting like a douche.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:00 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ouch, dude! Harsh!
I was looking at your sig and wondered how the AutoX idea was coming. Have you tried running at an AutoX event yet? I ran my 420+hp Camaro at one and got my @$$ kicked in course times by a friggin' Miata that was turning almost 1/4 the power!! It was fun burning tire through most of the course, but it certainly didn't help my times any. The car sure got a ton of attention from it, though.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my vote goes to the 240 also

it answers the questions of what you want
-cheap
-great aftermarket support
-potential
-rear wheel
+looks good

300zx or rx7 would be my next choice
Old 09-29-2006, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Age has nothing to do with experience. And you are the one that turned it into a Muscle Car vs Import thread, with all your tiny ***** talk.
And if you werent so close minded and ignorant and actually researched ALL the options you may find a car to better suit your need and goals.
Oh and I didnt recomend the LT1 because its a domestic I recommended it because it comes with 275 hp reliably, initial cost is cheap as hell, aftermarket support is awesome, and I can crank out 27 mpg with my 3.73 rear gears. Also your boosted 4 at an LT1s stock output will have considerably more strain on it, and with mods the gap only becomes larger.
I love domestics but unlike you I am willing to look into the other spectrum (imports) because I am a general car guy, why the hell do you think im on a SCION sight. I think you should quit being so damn immature and do a lil research and ask for advice and actually accept it instead of turning it all away and acting like a douche.
whoa, calm down man
we all have opinions on here. if he wants a import, so what, its his money.
i like your sign about vtec too, lol soooo true
Old 09-29-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

enthusiast if you have read anyhting ive said at all you would know ive built my share of domestics i want an import because thats what my and my friends arugument is over how his mustang is faster than any import so i wanted to do a fast cheep build to prove him wrong but since your so arragont you had to sugguest a domestic..... way to go thats why you got a dick responce. its clear you dident even read what i wrote you just wanted to chime in and stir the ____ ____ you buddy.
uv7 i like your idea on the rex deffinatly something im giong to look into as well as the 240. what can you tell me about rotery engines i know hardly anything. ive heard they have seal issues????
Old 09-29-2006, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Rotary engines eat up oil like a fatass at a buffet. That's the only disadvantage I know of.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great analogy
Old 09-30-2006, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UV7

Ouch, dude! Harsh!
I was looking at your sig and wondered how the AutoX idea was coming. Have you tried running at an AutoX event yet? I ran my 420+hp Camaro at one and got my @$$ kicked in course times by a friggin' Miata that was turning almost 1/4 the power!! It was fun burning tire through most of the course, but it certainly didn't help my times any. The car sure got a ton of attention from it, though.
Ive only ran at an autoX once and yah power really doesnt do yah much there it is mostly driver and a competent suspension. I enjoy the road course much more. I love those long third gear sweepers then I can just jam it on on the exit and slide right out to the edge hook and ZOOOM Im gone. The road course is so much damn fun. Me and a bunch of buddies are gonna go have a test and tune at the road course the first time they have an open track day after january. Im so pumped Ill have full suspension and a ton of weight reduction by then. My final goals for the car are to be able to run with or better than some new Z06s and Vipers, and boy do I have a long way to go.

About the RX7s. They are designed to burn oil. And they eat up Apex seals. A stock one, run normally, usually lasts about 70K miles, with mods and harder driving that only decreases. But you can find a ton of them with bad aoex seals you can ****** em up for cheap and rebuild em or drop in a LS1 or a different more reliable engine.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Golden86
thats what im talkin about you tnk that by beating a civic wiht an intake and muffler means all imports are like that. thats plain stilly. i bet after puttin 5 grand into a 240sx ill slap your mustang silly. and im willing to put my money where my mouth is if you want to
I am not trying to be a smart @ss, but what kind of numbers would you run with that car? HP, 1/4mile times, ect...

Oh yeah, and stock mustangs arn't fast FYI
u should say yer not trying to be a smart a$$, when u actually are... and fyi my stang was not stock... i would say that a 450 hp crate motor with a kenny bell supercharger is far from stock!!! sorry... to u others, i didnt race civics with the mufflers or what ever, it was a waste of time and gas lets see... what else... full mac exhaust, header, x-pipe, muffler. a cai.... 75mm throttle body... 10 radial slicks in the rear, to try and help get some traction... so i doubt the lil 240 with 5g'z in it would do anything to come close.. sorry
Old 09-30-2006, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

omg serisuly some one lock this thred its just gone outta control. im done here have fun being retarted
Old 09-30-2006, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im sorry but, u kinda were asking for this to happen by some of the comments u made.... u cant expect people to like it when u bag on them

Quick Reply: project car