Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

So I got orders to Japan, now can I bring this car back?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So I got orders to Japan, now can I bring this car back?

After sifting through the information on the internet, it would apear that I could bring a twin turbo Supra to the States. The information from the Federal Vehicle Safety Standards (Board, Commision?) states that the vehicle must be similar to a vehicle model already sold in the U.S.D.M. That being said I've already looked at the Skyline, and decided not to go that route. All I am looking for is info on legalization of a Supra. Please do not post info from the internet that may not be true, or relevant. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
Scikotics
SL Member

Where in Japan are you going? It might guide your choice of car. The north gets 300 inches of snow per year, the south deals with as much rain.

Yes, I live in the north and outside Tokyo (Kanto plain).
Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it would have to be a supra that adheres to laws and regulations required to be sold in the us at the time of manufacturing.

so it would have to adhere to safety crash tests, pollution controls, air bag deployment specifications.

it would be a huge crap shoot really since while the supra was sold in japan and the us, they would be similiar, but because a jdm model might have different regulations (some countrys have different air bag laws like about how fast they are supposed to deploy) and whatever, it might not fly.

besides, you can buy a twin turbo supra in the us anyway. why risk buying a jdm model with the steering wheel on the wrong side, that might end up impounded at customs and crushed because it can't be registered?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oni-Haya, I will be in Okinawa, so tsunamis here I come.

Drax Caliber, it's really about the price for the same model. I'm already seeing R33's for $3000 on base there.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can't bring a skyline back to the US unless you only use it for off-road (show & track use) only. unless it is 25 years old or older. so you can only get a car from 1984 or older from japan over here.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I deff don't plan to go the skyline route, that was just the only price reference I had on off the top of my head. Sorry bout that.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member

Mike, I was stationed in Yokota (outside Tokyo) from 2004-2006. I had a Skyline and LOVED it. There is no car like it here in the states. That said, everything in Japan is a bit more expensive than in the US, except cars and car parts! So nothing else really matters! lol.

You'll find NICE cars on base selling for $2500-$6000. My R32 GTR was $2500 and it only had 32,000km on it. You can find your Supra for less than $7000 decked out. There are some things to keep in mind while over there. You need 2 types of insurance, and they aint really cheap. It depends on the output of your engine, as to what you'll pay in JCI (Japanese Compulsory Insurance) and regular US insurance. You'll find all that out over there.

For importing, it's quite a pain in the ___. Needless to say, Skyline is out of the question. Supra is certainly doable. You're on the right track, and I'd personally call the FMVSS and just ask them. There are reps that are there and can help, that's what I did and they gave me all the info I could ever need to make a good decision.

Just a tip of advice - TAKE A US CAR TO JAPAN IF YOU CAN! Japanese Nationals LOVE our cars (just like we love theirs). TMO will tell you 'no', but they're full of ****. Plenty of people brought US cars to Japan and made a killing off selling them. Look into it!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is like a reunion, I was in Yokosuka for the past six years ('03-'09). Everything Fanatik said is pretty much on point, especially when we're alloted one car to ship overseas with us. I think that's the best deal because everyone always brags about having JDM parts shipped to them. Why not bring your car TO JDM and buy parts and accessories there? I always went to Autobacs and Super Autobacs, best auto store in Japan hands-down. Then there's always YellowHat.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh yea take an american car there and sell it to buy a JDM supra and all the stuff to pimp it out... Hell might get enough to pay for the cost of import too. Buddy of mine was USMC and went to Thailand and Okinawa. Taking his Mustang along with him was a good choice. Just like we see a Supra here and drool they see the Mustang there and drool.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member

Very true. Autobacs tends to get expensive - but there are a ton of places to get decent parts "Up Garage" is another good one. I got an alarm installed at a custom shop near Yokota, and the Japanese guy regularly came to the states to buy 'clunkers', ship back to Japan and restore them. He sold a damn 80's Caddy for $40,000 and he simply brought it back to a shine!!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

people usually bring skylines over to the US by shipping all the pieces over and assembling the car as a kit car however US has been cracking down on this loophole
Old 11-01-2009, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I remember Up Garage! It's basically a "thrift shop" for car parts, lots of good deals on used parts and they have good service as well. I think we've been to the same one, I remember taking the toll roads to Up Garage then I figure, since I'm there I might as well go to Yokota.

Did you know Yokota finally opened a Chili's near the AAFES?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member

Yep! and Coco's Curry!!! Holy hell I miss that! lol. They were just breaking ground on the Chilis when I left. Now they have one on Kadena and Yokota. Haha, gooo Air Force.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

seriously , as much as I hate the car , bring a tC there !

and bringing over a supra would be WAY more hassle than it's worth .
Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I miss CoCo's! I always got chicken katsu curry but I never got past level five. As for Chili's, they opened up one in Yokosuka too and near the train station, the Japanese opened up a Burger King.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I'm back in the forum now that I have time. I read through the posts and am very thankfull for all the advice. I am told TMO won't ship a car but I am going to look into it more. I would love to sell my tC there, and use the money for something I could bring back.

So here is the new gameplan, and I am all ears (eyes) regarding advice. I plan on buying a Silvia, or 300ZX. I'll drive it while I'm there, and strip it bare for parts before I leave. Come back to the states, and buy a 240SX, or 300ZX, and use the parts. This way I can have the best parts, and a legit car.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member

That works. While you're there, you can get very lightly used cheap engines, etc... a lot of guys were selling red-top 180sx (240sx) engines on ebay and making a killing. Japanese love everything to be new - so if something is old, dented, dirty, they get rid of it... and its yours to capitalize on!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet, I'm hoping to be able to sell stuff to make money for my parts.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Domo
people usually bring skylines over to the US by shipping all the pieces over and assembling the car as a kit car however US has been cracking down on this loophole
just move to arkansas when you come back, no inspections here, so you can pass one of those "kit" cars off
Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaj2002
just move to arkansas when you come back, no inspections here, so you can pass one of those "kit" cars off
I just know, I would bring one back, and the cops would hate all over it. Two days later.....crushed.

Quick Reply: So I got orders to Japan, now can I bring this car back?