Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Thinking of getting IS350

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you do it your self, normal maintenance like changing oil, brake pads and so on. it's VERY cost effective on your *the owner* part. oil for the 335i would need to be synthetic for the most part, running turbos and all. the IS350 can use conventional.

for an engine list of the IS models, you can tell which models would be most expensive in the long run:

>2MZFE 2.5L V6 Aluminum - IS250
*micro version of the 1MZFE in the later ES300. 340lbs, 20-25mpg 87oct, 6,200rpm. only available on automatic all wheel drive.*

>1JZGTE 2.5L TT inline 6 Iron - IS300
*600lb iron turbo block. JZ reliability, 12-18mpg 93+oct, 7500rpm.*

>3VZFE 3.0L V6 Iron - older ES300
*good for tuning, has oil problems and is heavier then the world's fattest man. nearly 800lbs and fuel efficiency around 15mpg 87oct, 5,400rpm*

>1MZFE 3.0L V6 Aluminum - newer ES300
*great 3SGTE alternative, makes the same power as the 1JZGTE with half the weight. downer is not very fuel efficient. weight of roughly 370lbs, 18-22mpg 87oct, 5,400rpm*

>3MZFE 3.3L V6 Aluminum bored - ES330
*bored version of the 1MZFE, this one is a interference engine resulting from the bore job. bad efficiency, roughly the same 370lbs but 12-18mpg 87-89oct, 5,200rpm*

>2GRFE 3.5L V6 Aluminum - IS350
*tricky ECU tuning, Dual VVTi, Dual injection, non-restrictive intake system = more air available then what it can suck it which is why it's very motivated to make power. makes roughly 300hp and only weighs 390lbs. this engine also is just about as fuel efficient as the 2.4L 2AZFE in the tC and 2nd gen xB. 390lbs, 25-28mpg 87+oct, 6,500rpm*

new parts wise... most would be in favor for the IS's, the down side would be the transmission. seeing as for the IS350, it ONLY comes with the 6spd automatic sequential gear box with active sequential slap stick mode. the 335i has a 6spd manual option on top of having a normal automatic option.

performance wise, 335i would be easier to tune with power mods. the IS350's 2GRFE engine is very unique, most of the main companies are still trying to figure out it's codex. but once cracked, the 2GRFE once again proves it's self to be well worth the headache.

as far as normal maintenance goes, the IS series takes the ball for being a more local company then BMW.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bmw's are relieable and there is nothing in its price catorgory that drives smoother at high speeds then a BMW...engineered for everyday autobahn speeds..built like a tank

drive the lexus then the bmw...you will see for yourself

there is a reason why its the #1 selling Luxury Car brand...
Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

this has become somewhat of a debate...lol
Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BMW's are only #1 luxury because cholesterol infested business men and lawyers wont buy anything else but a BMW cause lets face it... you're not a business man or lawyer if you don't have a BMW...

just like someone isn't a chimo rapist because they don't have a beard, huge bottle glasses, an old logger hat and an old run down astro van that's got some cheap rattle can paint on it with some broken windows covered with plywood...

difference is though... they are primarily sold in Europe as a cruising luxury... where the autobahn actually is. this is the US... we don't have an autobahn. we have long stretch farm roads throughout the mid states that aren't built like the autobahn is.

and my last and final hit... the IS350 is better because, well, lets face it... it's a Toyota / Scion forum webpage... the Toyota will always win... i don't care if it's an old Toyota Hilux vs. a new nissa xtara... i'm gonna pick the hilux...

IS350, in your effing face all the way! VIVA TOYOTA!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Winter
if you're waiting that long to do oil changes... even when using full synthetics... you're a moron... sorry, but i have to say it.

plus, yeah the whole pay nothing for 5 years or 50k miles is great and all... but as soon as that's up, costs are up the wazoo.

also, if you're referring "looks" within the aggression that the IS family has, Toyota/Lexus specifically don't want their vehicles looking TOO aggressive for a reason. why do you think 95% of all Toyota/Lexus vehicles don't have full black interior... too aggressive in their eyes. they are looking for a mix of aggression and class.

on another not... BMW is great for that look... problem is reliability. BMW is reliable to a point, but there's also a reason for Toyota/Lexus ranking top for reliability for how many DECADES?

plus... an example of waste weight vs power. 335i and IS350 both weigh roughly the same and produce roughly the same power when ran on 93 octane. here's the difference... 335i is already turbo'd to make it's power, the IS350 is N/A, revs higher and has mass low end torque very early in it's game. the 335i lacks part of it's torque due to it's turbo setup.

also, when gas prices are too ridiculous, the IS350 is your friend. go from 300ish hp to 270ish and run 87 octane being the 2GRFE engine is designed to run off it in the first place.
before you start name calling. BMW is recommended at 15K the on board computer will change the interval sooner or later. the oil comes out black but lubricates so well. with the service they offer that's a big savings over anybody. most BMW owners. i worked at BMW for 3 years. i like the Lexus a lot! my buddy traded his xB for one and its a good looking car. after 50K with the BMW its expensive for servicing. the Lexus (like 98% of all Toyotas) will last way past 50K and will be easy to maintain still. its a Toyota you cant beat that.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Plus, JDM Stiling with the Lexus. :-) The bmws are hot, don't get me wrong..but come on, we're all on here bc we love scions/toyotas/jdm rides, etc.

Thanks for the heads up firesquare, good info!
Old 12-05-2008, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionBoy86
BMW its got 0 maintenance for 5 year 50,00 miles dummy

oil changees every 15-20k

alot less then lexus and will still embrass it on the track just stock...and with just a power chip for $400..u can say SEE YA LAter

and on top of everything you'll get a lot more looks in a BMW then a toyota i mean lexus
Bmw's are relieable and there is nothing in its price catorgory that drives smoother at high speeds then a BMW...engineered for everyday autobahn speeds..built like a tank

drive the lexus then the bmw...you will see for yourself

there is a reason why its the #1 selling Luxury Car brand...
dude don't forget the IS has a luxury side to it. the bmw is an all out performance car... the beamer has a harsh ride compared to the lexus as well. there's a reason why BMW offers the first 50k maintenance free, everyone knows their cars a horrible with maintenance costs.... and after the warranty is up on the beamer better get rid of it. don't get me wrong beamers are nice and build some of the best cars on the road but compared to a Lexus's reliability, longevity, and cost of maintenance it just doesn't match up dummy.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey now ladies, no need to insult eachother.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

u kidding me about bmw having a harsh and rough ride?? Have ever driven 1.. I drove all kinds of cars when I worked at a bodyshop out of all the cars there is nothing smoother then a BMW

And that's a known fact. The slogan says it for itself

"The Ultimate Driving Machine"
Just test drive both and see which will put a smile on your face
Old 12-06-2008, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the BMW rids firm. its a drivers car. the ride of a BMW is spiritual. that how i felt every time i drove a Z4 or M car or any BMW for that matter. the 760. that's like driving on a jet stream so smooth and soooooo powerful. it makes you want to stay single :-P

if you want a reliable machine that will last you over 50K and be affordable get the IS. if you want pure sex on wheels and a ride that will make you break up with your significant other just for a ride in the twisties every day, get the BMW. but be warned. services are expensive after the 50K service is done with..
Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u kidding me about bmw having a harsh and rough ride?? Have ever driven 1.. I drove all kinds of cars when I worked at a bodyshop out of all the cars there is nothing smoother then a BMW
well if you actually read what i wrote i said when compared to the lexus. my uncle has and M6 and one of my friends mom has a is-f, I've driven both and like i said BMW makes some of the most amazing cars on the road hands down . but when it comes to reliability it doesn't match up.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh don't hit a good pothole with a E46 or any BMW for that matter. it will knock the lower ball joins right out :-P its usually covered if you say the right woreds to the service writer.

closest Lexus dealer to me is 130 miles away :-(
Old 12-06-2008, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Want a great , reliable, comfortable, fast beautiful car-get the IS-it is truly a very great car.

Want a car that handles great and looks great even when it's at the dealer getting the washer pump, heater controls, foglight switches, wiring, 5 gear swicth,...... fixed-get yourself a BMW (these are things that are actually happening enough with BMWs that the dealers are keeping the parts in stock for)
Old 12-06-2008, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ this is 100% true. i don't know any other place that has HVAC controller unit in stock. lol. hell we had to order a longblock 745 motor overnight. (2002 with all the problems) and it only had 23K on it.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

update for us faux??
Old 12-15-2008, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

flat black anyone ?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man that looks soo hot but a litt dent on there shows up like a BIG dent. it looks like just plain steel pannells you'd get before the body shop paints everything.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is350 is a great car.
less of "****" car than the bimmer.
depends on what you want. the 350 is more plush than the 335, but the 335 is an m3 waiting to be unleashed.
however, the 350 IS better in maintenance. BMW's go in for service a lot, even if it's under the warranty. so you'll have a lot more downtime in the BMW than the Lexus.

then again, the BMW is a great driver's car (think track), but really, the 350 is more practical on the road when it comes down to it. and less money.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

another one for faux.....
Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IS350 vote. Great looking car. Good performance. Bulletproof too. Win win win.

Love that plate.. JDM NUB. LOL

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting IS350