Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Turbocharged 500whp Hyundai Genesis 3.8L V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Vetter, I know it's not about the straight line. The mustang killedthe genesis everywhere and the 370 handled better than the mustang. M point is, or $30,000 the camaro, mustang, and 370 are all better buys.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

SW_08, nice

To give everyone some perspective, from the same motortrend article:

Not since the Nissan 240SX has America had a rear-drive, four-cylinder coupe.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Carbon, I'll agree with you that for $30k, the 370 or G37 is a much better buy. My personal feeling is that Hyundai should never have released a V6. Offer only the I-4 but with a base and upgraded turbo / suspensiuon configuration, similar to the Impreza / WRX / STI. Suburu uses the same 2.5L block for all of them, but they get from 170 HP base to 305-HP on the STI.

I've driven the Mustang GT, and did not care for it much. Visibility positively sucks with the huge hood and tiny side and rear windows, the interior is still cheap, hard plastic, and I can't say I was impressed too much with the handling. It was quite fun to launch though.

Camaro looks good but I have yet to see one up close to check fitment / finish, etc. Given GM's current fortunes, I wouln't be inclined to go with one.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by rosedaleny806
its a hyundai, with an evoX engine (4cyl). and I agree with burstaneurysm ill buy a hyundai any day over american
what in the f... are you talking about it's a turbo v6 genesis motor.....
Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Carbon, I'll agree with you that for $30k, the 370 or G37 is a much better buy. My personal feeling is that Hyundai should never have released a V6. Offer only the I-4 but with a base and upgraded turbo / suspensiuon configuration, similar to the Impreza / WRX / STI. Suburu uses the same 2.5L block for all of them, but they get from 170 HP base to 305-HP on the STI.

I've driven the Mustang GT, and did not care for it much. Visibility positively sucks with the huge hood and tiny side and rear windows, the interior is still cheap, hard plastic, and I can't say I was impressed too much with the handling. It was quite fun to launch though.

Camaro looks good but I have yet to see one up close to check fitment / finish, etc. Given GM's current fortunes, I wouln't be inclined to go with one.
Everytime I read something new about the Camaro, it sounds more and more like the 'perfect' car. $30,995 for a 426HP V8 that gets mid 20 MPG (V6 gets almost 30), handles great for a tank (3800lbs), smokes everything in its price range, and I've heard nothing bad about refinement. In fact, everyone says they're shocked at how refined the car is. You can't hear the motor/exhaust inside the cabin, fit and finish is top notch, ride quality is great...GM really went the distance on it.

And the I-4 is pathetic, especially when the V6 Camaro is the same price, and the V6 Mustang is even cheaper. The Genesis isn't lightweight either. The 240SX was around 2800lbs, the Genesis I-4...3429lbs. @ 3400lbs, the power:weight ratio is BARELY better than the tC.

The Genesis is far from being the lightweight, RWD, turbo4 that everyone wanted. It's an overweight, RWD, underpowered turbo4 that no one is buying. I still haven't seen one on the road, I haven't even seen the sedan on the road yet. You can blame it on the economy, and I will semi-agree. However, the Camaro is coming out soon, and it has already sold over 10,000 in presales. Hyundai, as a brand in whole, hasn't even sold 10,000 cars this year.

All that, and I haven't said "it's still a Hyundai". And I won't, because I love the new Kia Soul, and Kia is supposed to be the cheap form of Hyundai.

Also, the new 2010 Mustang is a completely different vehicle from the 07-09 models. They've really refined the vehicle, gave it all new suspension (still solid rear axle) and made it much more upscale. And you can't complain about the Mustang's cheap interior, when the Genesis has an equally cheap interior.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for keeping this thread lively, I always love intelligent debate. Hope to see you out at the College Park spring meet on the 26th.

If the Camaro turns out to be a budget Vette, that would be awesome. I just still remember all the hype surrounding the Dodge twins (Charger and Challenger), and when the final product came out, it did not meet expectations.

For performance, check your weight figures, the Genesis 2.0T checks in at 3,294 lbs, the V6 is the porker. As I've said, the I-4 is severely de-tuned to incentivise people to buy the more expensive V6. With a 9.3:1 C/R, a whole lot more power can be had for relatively low cost.

Hyundai sold 46,000 cars in March alone. GM may not have released their march figures, but they sold 56,000 in February, down 53%. Keep in mind this covers ALL GM brands, not just Chevrolet.

I've seen pictures of the 2010 Mustang but it hasn't made it to the dealership here yet. It definately looks like an improvement. I'm not anti-big three, and my next project will probably be a 64-68 Mustang coupe, but from '71 - 2009 I have not been impressed with the ponycar. They seriously need to ditch the live rear axle and get a real independant rear suspension, something the Genesis even has.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

if you've seen the new camaro in person you'll know why theyre horrible . i've said it before and i'll say it again , gm Does not know how to do retro right
Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
Originally Posted by rosedaleny806
its a hyundai, with an evoX engine (4cyl). and I agree with burstaneurysm ill buy a hyundai any day over american
what in the f... are you talking about it's a turbo v6 genesis motor.....
the 2.0t is the evox motor, they also have an optional 3.6L v6 which is NOT turbo...
Old 05-01-2009, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never knew that car can go that fast..
Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This car to me looks pretty damn sexy. Yea its a hyundai but just like it was said before its there time to shine. Yea who cares if its a hyundai but you have to give it up to them. I just hope this kicks everyone in the butt and makes toyota , honda and what ever brand to try to compete with this. hopefully there isnt to many issues with this car down the line.

If weight bothers you i think there shaving off a couple pounds with there R-spec basically just a sports package
Old 06-13-2009, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any news on the 2.0T?

It is an evo motor with a smaller turbo if I'm not mistaken
Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
oh when I was a kid the Toyota's were considered a POS
Toyota's were POS 13 years or less ago? WTF?
Toyota's have been better cars in every way over any other car since the early 70s. My father had owned domestic cars before he bought a Toyota wagon in the mid 70s. Said it was like night and day. Everything on the Toyota worked and kept on working whereas you were always working on domestic cars.

Most are missing the point behind the turbo 4 banger Genesis. It was made to be modified. It's a drifter's dream come true. A cheap rwd easily modified 4 cylinder car that looks good. Could it be any more perfect? Hyundai is gunna sell tons.

For me the Genesis is better looking and more appealing than a 'Stang or Camaro. The mustang is a piece of crap. A fast piece of crap, but crap non the less. Like a many said, hopefully the Genesis will kick Toyota ___ into making more sport cars. GJ Hyundai, keep it up.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by couper2
Most are missing the point behind the turbo 4 banger Genesis. It was made to be modified.
Thanks couper, that's what I've been trying to get across as well. The block will hold 29 psi on stock internals, and this is coming from Motor Trend. From the article:

The base coupe's 2.0-liter all-aluminum turbo four-cylinder is the fruit of the same Global Engineering Manufacturing Alliance that produced the 291-horse, 2.0-liter turbo in the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and 300-horse, 2.4-liter turbo that powers the Dodge Caliber SRT-4...... Hyundai did engineer some headroom for the tuning and drifting set; the blown and intercooled I-4 features a low 9.3:1 compression and can take boost up to 29 psi.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html
Old 06-14-2009, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

double post sorry
Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

double post sorry
Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 06-15-2009, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
if you've seen the new camaro in person you'll know why theyre horrible . i've said it before and i'll say it again , gm Does not know how to do retro right
I heard you engineered and designed a better and more accurate version of retro-muscle. Care to show us?

The Camaro is one sick ___ GM. The Genesis is pretty nice too, though, far from a V8 modern-muscle car some of you are comparing it to lol. I've seen several in my area and it does look pretty decent. I would compare it to a "tuner" car that requires modification and work done to it. I'd really compare it to the TR (Tuner Ready) version of the WRX they had out when the 2006 models came out.

For the people that say "At the end of the day, it's still a Hyundai.." Are you serious? Are you seriously going to sit there and type that? haha. The same can be said about a Lexus or the GT-R, at the end of the day, it's just a Lexus and Nissan. Sheesh. Do you lack the basic ability to acknowledge and appreciate a car for what it is rather than stack it up against your standards?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will still say, "it's still a Hyundai"....... even a korean dont want to drive a Hyundai, okay? They will spend the money on infinite but not a Hyundai. Maybe I have my asian basis, but buying a korean car is still a no-no for me. (YES!, I would rather spend my 30k on a camaro or 370Z!)
Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

While I hate the 'Stang, each and every one of them with their long hoods, tiny mirrors and absolutely no trunk or backseat room I will give Ford a few things, the redesigned model for 2010 looks 10x better than 07-09 not to mention they have completely revitalized the interior and didn't use that cheap plastic garbage so it actually looks and feels like something you wouldn't mind owning. It still has the long hood, tiny mirrors, no trunk space and no backseat room but oh well, can't have them all.

I also won't sit here and say "Well it's still a Hyundai", at the end of the day you have a Scion a budget friendly Toyota with many of the same downfalls as the Hyundai. I can too recall when people considered the Honda and Toyota a POS. If only people could look beyond the name and look at the product. I've seen the Genesis sedan and coupe on the roads and they look nice. I wouldn't mind owning one, heck I wouldn't mind owning a now defunct Pontiac G8. The fact of the matter is Kia and Hyundai have come a long way and they shouldn't be written off simply because of the name.