Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

What Would You do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default What Would You do?

I am deploying soon to sunny Iraq. in 18 months i will be back and looking for a new ride. my wife drives an xB and i currently drive a Grand Prix GTP, far from stock form. im going to sell my car and build something else, but i can't make up my mind. currenly my list is as follows. Scion Tc, Subaru WRX, Mitsu GSX, xB with a 4efte swap, or a 95-98 nissan 240 s15 conversion with an SR20 or RB25... so my question is, what would you do and why? i want good straightline, but i want to be able so shoot corners as well, decisions, decisions... perfectworld, id import a R33 GTR, but that isnt really practical
Old 05-22-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got a budget?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

None of the above. If I was going to build a go fast machine, and I was going to have 18 mos of combat pay to do it with, I'd build a GMC Syclone. Well, you don't have to do too much, considering that in 1991 a stock one did 12 sec 1/4's.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What Would You do?

Originally Posted by Experimental
I am deploying soon to sunny Iraq. in 18 months i will be back and looking for a new ride. my wife drives an xB and i currently drive a Grand Prix GTP, far from stock form. im going to sell my car and build something else, but i can't make up my mind. currenly my list is as follows. Scion Tc, Subaru WRX, Mitsu GSX, xB with a 4efte swap, or a 95-98 nissan 240 s15 conversion with an SR20 or RB25... so my question is, what would you do and why? i want good straightline, but i want to be able so shoot corners as well, decisions, decisions... perfectworld, id import a R33 GTR, but that isnt really practical
As a WRX owner and relatively unbiased car enthusiast, I have to ask if you're looking for a new or used car? Since straightline seems to be one of your primary goals, I would suggest avoiding FWD cars like the tC. RWD and AWD are superior for straightline acceleration. That's not to say a tC can't be fast, but all things being equal, a RWD/AWD car of the same power is generally going to be faster.

Out of the options you mentioned, the S14 with an SR20 is probably your best bet. The RB25 is a superior motor but sourcing parts for it can be a real headache. SR20DET parts are much easier to find due to the existance of the SR20DE in the US, plus the popularity of the DET swap. I've seen too many people get a RB front clip that's missing some small parts like an ECU or valve or something and spend months trying to source it.

Used cars you didn't mention: Mark III Toyota Supra Turbo, Nissan 300ZX TT, Lexus SC300/400 with 2JZGTE swap, turbo/supercharged 1.8l Mazda Miata, TII or FD Mazda RX-7, GC Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with STi EJ20/EJ22/EJ25 swap, Mid-nineties BMW M3, etc. All of these cars are relatively low-cost, and come with a lot of power in stock form.

If you're looking at new cars, I'd easily suggest a 350Z, WRX, Evo, or Legacy GT over just about anything else.

EDIT: Oops. You asked what I would do didn't you?

Used: For a total performance car, I'd go with a turboed Miata. With more of an emphasis on straightline, I'd definitely go with the 300ZX TT. Easy to hit 450+whp, great handling even stock.

New: Subaru Legacy GT all the way. Faster than a WRX, about the same handling. Luxorious interior. The motor actually has more potential than the WRX and is faster than an STI with only a turboback exhaust and reflash. Plus it's the very definition of "sleeper". I actually rather regret getting my WRX without giving the LGT a chance.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

wanna buy an r33 gts?

but really bro, if your lookin at all that, may i suggest a C6 maybe even the ZO6........

if your lookin for cheap thrills, what about a cobalt SS, but you cant go wrong with the new Saturn Sky Redline
Old 05-23-2006, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Good point on the RB, didn't even think of parts...
Building an SUV would kinda take away from the conering aspect, would be interesting to Autocross though...
Loathe Miatas and Vettes, if i was to do a roadster id do a solstice or sky...
Drove a Cobalt SS and was far from impressed, maybe had too high expectations for it, didn't handle as well as a Tc...

Thanks for all the input, i'm gonna nix the Tc and 4efte xB right now...
I really like the Legacy GT, (use to sell Subarus) but i don't know if i could bring myself to rip out the seats and put recaros in, maybe

I didn't even think of a impreza RS with a swap...

think im leaning more towards the S15...

Just can't make my mind up about RWD or AWD, that's basically what it is going to come down to now, once i can decide i'll be able to narrow the feild from there...

thanks a lot for your input you mentioned a couple of cars i didn't even think about
Old 05-23-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

easy decision b/w rwd and awd. u shouldnt even have to think about it. awd over rwd any and everyday. same hp as rwd with much better grip. awd has amazing straightline but it also has amazing handling. you dont get both in a rwd unless its a miata
Old 05-24-2006, 02:15 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TT supra
Old 05-24-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1
Old 05-24-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ponitca GTO, Things a Beast! But gas prices for that v8 6.0L is gonna break u, but if ur not concerned about tht. seems like one of the best cars for the money. And the cornering on that thing is crazy.