Autosports & Technique
General driving and racing...

gxl KILLS a tC???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default gxl KILLS a tC???

So i was at work today bored out of my mind, so i decided to hope online and start looking at random car stuff on other forums and i found this.... i thought it was alittle interesting.

" "Well, I was cruising home from seeing my brother who just drove from Florida when I see some bright ___ tail lights get all up on my ___, while I'm driving in the right lane. I'm going 65-70 (night speed limit=65) so I reach my hand out the window to signal him to go around. Well, I hear an auto fartpipe downshift and a white tC with black wheels pulls up next to me and slows down. I didn't really feel like getting a ticket, but this guy was getting annoying- I'd slow down, he'd slow down, I'd speed up, he'd speed up- all the while stabbing his throttle. It was obvious he wanted to run, so I slow down to 60mph and revmatch into 3rd gear. He mashes the throttle and I hear it downshift, I then see that he's going nowhere in a particular hurry so I put the petal down and instantly pull half a car by 6500rpms in 3rd. I shift to 4th and spit a nice set of flames and just pull on him even harder. After it was all said and done, he was about 3 or 4 cars back by the time I hit about 105mph. Pfff, that was pointless. Of course once I slow back down, he pulls a flyby, but I expected it.

BTW, my car is a '90 GXL
"Mods" are CAI, 2.5" header, gutted cat, HKS Hi-Power duals, E-Fan, Miata Short Shifter." "

Courtesy of:
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=702149

Basically it says that a 1990 rx-7 GXL (which is n/a) and has all of 146hp and 138lbs ft. will KILL a tC....?

So i decided to investigate and i found that a 1990 Rx-7 gxl runs a 16.5 in the 1/4 mile and does 0-60 in 8.5. (I KNOW... WOW! SUPER FAST HUH?)

(MY sources: http://www.petting-zoo.net/~gkm/rx7/specs.html & http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html )

Am i missing something or was this OLD forum thread just "B.S."?
The way i see it, is that the tC should either walk it or at least keep up! Even with the mods this guy had.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wtf?
BS
Old 09-20-2008, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats exactly what i said!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i raced one spitting flames when it shifted in the mountains i kept getting him for the most part be we where going over 120, he got me a couple of times this was when i bought it new and stock, he pulled up on me with no light late at knight like a movie all i could hear was exhaust and the moon lighting his car then bright lights and it was on.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^really?

It took you a few times?
Old 09-20-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SPscionTC
^^^really?

It took you a few times?
what did? my spelling or the racing part? we were in the mountains then it's a 1 1/2 hours of straight road thru the desert, thats why we kept going back and forth, nothing serious just killing time. i was stock and his was modded
Old 09-21-2008, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^i was talking about the racing
Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think the scion owner was just getting a closer look at the rx-7. i mean, how often do you see an FC on the road in the US? i mean, several times i have been driving, and seen an old interesting car on the road, and pulled up along side it for a better look. one time i saw an old 911 turbo, that thought i wanted to race, and took off down air park road. then once i saw an old pantera detomaso on I-270 that i road along with for 20 miles. was quite a neat looking old car.

not every car that rides along side of you is looking for a street race.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:21 PM
SL Member

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought the RX-7 was the one that wanted to race....lol.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tc was automatic so that probably explains it.....

i raced an FC on the freeway the other day actually and i barely pulled on him even though i had 3 other people in the car. i can believe it. maybe the one i raced was turbocharged though...iono.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Why does this matter? A ricer tC lost, big deal.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well an auto tC is pretty damn slow. and lookin at the mods the dude had on the rx-7... yea he may have walked it. no 3 car lenghts by the 115mph mark- thats a bunch of BS!

also the spittin flames... ha, NO.

aside from that, I dont know how good a rx-7 is cuz my buddy phil drives one but he has an LS1 swap done to it. my next goal is to upgrade to 660cc injectors and match him! lol..

he's fast as f*ck
Old 09-24-2008, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why do u all always down a auto tC ??... regardless it still had 160 HP 163 ft lbs of trq.... damn.. give it some credit.. u all are still into that oh, " I have a manual , I can dust anything he cant cause he's in a auto.." ..mauals are dying out btw.. oh btw I know some auto tc''s that would beat a manual tc's a**. ~peace
Old 09-24-2008, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcboi513
why do u all always down a auto tC ??... regardless it still had 160 HP 163 ft lbs of trq.... damn.. give it some credit.. u all are still into that oh, " I have a manual , I can dust anything he cant cause he's in a auto.." ..mauals are dying out btw.. oh btw I know some auto tc''s that would beat a manual tc's a**. ~peace
wow... im not dissin the auto tC. but it is significantly slower than a manual tC.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw.. oh btw I know some auto tc''s that would beat a manual tc's a**. ~peace
orly? I haven't faced one as yet!

stock-stock= manual wins.
turbo-turbo= manual wins.
S/C-S/C= manual wins.

srsly...
Old 09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionkidd
wow... im not dissin the auto tC. but it is significantly slower than a manual tC.
Significantly? lol. I have seen many on the track that are .5 seconds slower in the quarter than a manual. It usually comes down to drivers when you are talking manual vs auto, unless the manual is quite a bit more modded. I have seen auto's beat manual's several times, usually because the person driving the manual is a tool and shifts like they are in a sports car instead of a tc Almost all high end sports cars now are automatic/sportshift, I don't foresee manuals being around too much longer in any vehicles except for semi's/etc.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i think the scion owner was just getting a closer look at the rx-7. i mean, how often do you see an FC on the road in the US? i mean, several times i have been driving, and seen an old interesting car on the road, and pulled up along side it for a better look. one time i saw an old 911 turbo, that thought i wanted to race, and took off down air park road. then once i saw an old pantera detomaso on I-270 that i road along with for 20 miles. was quite a neat looking old car.

not every car that rides along side of you is looking for a street race.
x2

Happens to me often.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

You do know that the auto tC puts less HP to the wheels AND weighs more than the 5-speed, right?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW. The RX-7 kids on that thread doesn't show any respect to the scion brand.

I agree with draxcaliber
Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
You do know that the auto tC puts less HP to the wheels AND weighs more than the 5-speed, right?
X2

Quick Reply: gxl KILLS a tC???