Autosports & Technique
General driving and racing...

HPDE / Full Road course runners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HPDE / Full Road course runners?

I know there's a pretty good AutoX population in the Scion world, but I'm curious to see how many (if any) take it to the big tracks and do some road course racing.

I'm finally going to be getting back to the track again in the next couple of weeks and am itching to talk track.

The track I call home. Pacific Raceways (Formerly called Seattle International Raceway)

Compeletly stock tC with Driver and Driving coach can hit 115mph from the end of turn 9 down the straight to the begining of turn 1 in 4th gear at about 6,000rpm.

Can't wait to see how I run in the corners now that I've got much better parts and some more skill.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Geez, that looks like a lot of fun. I'm jealous! What parts have you added? On a side note, I love Seattle...
Old 09-09-2009, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I guess I will check in here

I'm from the Mid-Atlantic area and drive with NASA in HPDE. So I have driven all the Summit Point tracks, and VIR. I will actually be heading to VIR in October again for an HPDE day. That Pacific Raceway looks gorgeous, and problems with deer/wildlife coming on track?

Originally Posted by pinoyFMtC
What parts have you added?
x2
Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Well I guess I will check in here

I'm from the Mid-Atlantic area and drive with NASA in HPDE. So I have driven all the Summit Point tracks, and VIR. I will actually be heading to VIR in October again for an HPDE day. That Pacific Raceway looks gorgeous, and problems with deer/wildlife coming on track?

x2
so im assuming you kno larry bear? ive done a few autox's with him. wen i get out the air force or if i ever get back to the east coast i wanna run at summit point, track looks amazing.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speedintc
so im assuming you kno larry bear? ive done a few autox's with him. wen i get out the air force or if i ever get back to the east coast i wanna run at summit point, track looks amazing.
I can't say that I remember meeting him.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully I can start doing this big stuff ASAP. I really would like to try my hand at it. I dont think the car is ready yet though
Old 09-14-2009, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've kept most of my upgrades focused on cornering, stablity, and safety.

Upgrades list:
  • KW V2 coilovers
  • PowerSlot Slotted front/rear rotors
  • Hawk HPS front brake pads
  • Axxis Ultimate rear brake pads (Never ever buying these again...so much damn dust. )
  • Agency Power SS brake lines (rubber coated)
  • TRD strut tower bar
  • TRD rear sway bar
  • NST Short shifter bracket
  • NST metal shift bushings
  • Doc I delrin shifter cage bushings
  • Enkei RPF1 18x8.5 +40 (Dan Gardner edition) wheels
  • BFGoodrich G-Force TA KDW nt2 (245x40x17 FRONT. 225x45x17 REAR)
  • Rear seats, spare tire, jack, tools, rear interior panels removed
I've got a set of Charge Speed racing seats that I'm going to be putting in soon so that I can restrict all the flopping around the stock seats let you do, but that'll be a few weeks out. I'm very much looking forward to these though as there are a lot of left handers at PR (the track is run counter-clockwise) so there are plenty of times that your right knee swings outward and into the center console. I've been pretty sore on the days after, that's for sure.

As for the track, it's absolutely gorgeous to run on and the scenery is a blast to look at as it wizzes by you. The times I've run there I haven't heard of too much of a wild life problem and there is some decent fencing around 60-70% of the track. The remainder of the un-fenced area is being filled in with a cart track and a redesigned 1/4 mile track. (The kink in the straight away between turns 9-10 is to accomodate the 1/4 mile strip now, but it faces into the sun in the afternoon, which sucks).

I'm trying to plan a couple more outings to Portland's racetrack and there is a new track in Oregon called ORP (Oregon Race Park ? can't remember now) that I'm aiming to hit before the season ends. Would also love to head down to Thunderhill in Nor-Cal and maybe even a trip to Willow Springs if I can swing the time off work...

I'm mighty jealous that you can reach VIR and Summit Point. Those are race tracks that I'd love to hit someday.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, and a brand new front wind splitter from Doc I that I need to readjust to get to make it sit as flat as I want it and to reinforce it so that it doesn't rip off on the straight.

Bdis, it's not really the car that needs to be prepared for the driving, it's you. I've seen people with beaters that you wouldn't ever in a million years imagine seeing on the track go out there and pummel decently prepped cars with amateur drivers.

My first runnings on the big track were done in a 100% stock tC with zero road course experience (just auto-x at that point). Just make sure you've got enough brake pad left, make sure you've changed your oil semi-recently, and you take everything out of the car and you're good to go out there and learn.

Last edited by One-Nut_McGee; 09-14-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as my car not being ready it means my racing wheels rub the hell outta my fenders. Otherwise I'm set.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oooohhh, haha, yea...might want to get that fixed before you head out.