Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

Beware - Toyota dealers NOT obligated to fix Scions UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
let me say this again.

WARRANY IS OVERRATED.

let me repeat myself

WARRANTY IS OVERRATED!!!

warranty is only good towards the TSB's.

dealers are really shady about warranty so becareful.
Just so no noob comes in and reads this and freaks hout, warranty is NOT only good toward a TSB report. Most dealers and service departments should take the time to check and fix any problems you might have under warranty. THAT BEING SAID, if they can't replicate the problem they can't fix it. There have been a number of posts on here about some dealers being extra helpful and taking cars that were exhibiting strange behavior and trying to make them right. Now, this particular Toyota Dealer, I might be very warry of taking a vehicle to them that they sold, since they are obviously turning away a future sale down the line. I know my Toyota Dealer didn't have to go the extra distance they did on the Scion I brought them since they don't sell them, the other option would have been to take it back to the dealer that sold it to me which is about 45 minutes away.

BUT, the fact that my local dealer has spent time fixing my warranty complaints has made me more willing to take the car back to them for any issues I might need fixed that would be out of my pocket. This Toyota dealer was obviously short-sighted in that reguard as now they have lost any future sales to you that you might have given them.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by slowpoke
maybe he should of considered that before he bought the car then. 99% of the time, a dealer is going to turn you away for warranty work unless you bought the car from that exact dealer.

Sorry, that's not true. I don't know where you got that idea from but it's not true.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by raWr215
sooo..... unless Toyota dealer was also a Scion dealer, they would not work on it rite?

They CAN, but are not OBLIGATED to. Which is quite different that what was sold to me, and I'm sure plenty of others.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow after reading this i just want to say to all my fellow scion owners out there im sorry that you are in such a dilema.. im lucky enough to have atleast 6 scion dealerships with in a 20 min drive..good luck to you all
Old 08-16-2005, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Update...out of the blue, the general manager of the dealership chain called me this morning. He said he was reviewing his backlog of unresolved complaints, and that they had just gotten new alignment specs in and wanted to know if I wanted an alignment done.

I was shocked-I told him, scion corporate dealt directly with your underlings and were told I was not wanted as a customer. Bill Crowder assured me that that was not the case and he wanted me back.

After I gave him my lengthy list of problems and concerns, he apologized profusely and made me a fair offer. I'm bringing the car in next week, and he will:

1. Do an alignment for free (I guess they only attempted to do one because toyota specs call for it, whereon scion specs they don't)
2. Re-fix the sunroof
3. perform the AC TSB
4. Clean/adjust my brakes for free to figure out why they are screeching so much

He told me that as of this second, they officially ARE now a scion dealer, but they don't have the signage, official certificates, etc. But they are committed to the brand and to working on them.

He assured me that there would be no retaliation and that the service manager that has given me problems would be spoken to.

So it seems like the situation is beginning to be resolved. I'm hoping that's the case-and will update either way in about 2 weeks. I'm crossing my fingers, but it looks positive right now.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not think that a toyota dealership would work on scions, you have to go to a scion dealership,
do you think you could take your lexus in to a toyota dealership? dont think so, i know it sucks cuz your scion dealership is prolly far away, but hey thats life.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ My point exactly. A lot of Honda dealerships dont even sell parts for Acuras, much less work on them. You have to understand that from a business perspective they are different companies as far as Toyota is concerned. And people setting up a dealership are not required to equip for both. So, although it may not be the best idea financially for those dealerships (or maybe it is.. you never know) they are doing absolutely nothing wrong by not working on them. You really cant even complain about them not doing it. Thats like complaining because a certain Toyota dealership doesnt sell Scion... doesnt make sense.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope everythind works out though man, your just complaining about the wrong thing
Old 08-16-2005, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lucky
Update...out of the blue, the general manager of the dealership chain called me this morning. <snip>
Hey, great news. I'm glad to hear at least something is beginning to work out for this problem. So looking back, now that they *are* a Scion dealership and all that, does it seem more logical that they wouldn't do the work when they supposedly *weren't*. I think now the GM is trying to drum up some referrals b/c he knows people are going to be asking you about your ride and where they can get one. Regardless of whether or not this is what he was *really* trying to do, it's good to know that at least you won't have to drive 3+ hrs. to the next closest dealer for warranty repairs .x:Fingers Crossed.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

havent you guys heard?

warranty is overrated.

but if there is a toyota dealership that doesnt fix the TSB's then they truely suck.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW!

PLEASE keep us informed on this, OK?

If all works out well, and the dealership has turned over a new leaf because of the direct involvment of Mr. Crowder in this (sounds like it never got to his level before), you might even have to start a new topic about the change.

Time will tell, of course, but it sounds promising.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I probably don't have to tell you, but keep your guard up... I have trouble getting the dealership to do even simple things like get the tire pressures or the lug nut torque right...
Old 08-16-2005, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
havent you guys heard?

warranty is overrated.

but if there is a toyota dealership that doesnt fix the TSB's then they truely suck.
Warranties are not overrated when defective parts are replaced with no cost to me. They have replaced the 3rd brake light housing 3 or 4 times now because it keeps cracking the tabs and replaced my clutch mounting bracket not too long ago because there was too much play in the peddle. Neither have a TSB.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That sucks and what is BBB???
Old 08-16-2005, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

we only have one scion dealer on oahu (hawaii) and the toyota service dept next to the showroom is where i get my free oil changes. short of my a/c, tranny, engine failing on me i probably won't see them after the third change. HOWEVER, my salesperson was able to squeeze me into another toyota service center 30 min away (island, so ;P) with no problems. don't you just hate dealers? makes you want to install a lift at your house, don't it?!?!!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nah! Just dig a pit in the garage floor, yesti... :D
Old 08-17-2005, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member

According to the customer satisfaction pledge that all Toyota sellers must honor:
All new vehicles sold from a certified Toyota dealership must honor the warranty and service agreement for Toyota no matter where the servicing dealership is located.

And believe me HONOR is still a big thing if brought before the regional rep or if you happen to send an e-mail straight to Toyota of JP.

Do it once and see what happens.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess some people have no honor! (digging the pit...)
Old 08-19-2005, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm glad all is working out now, but it sucks that you had to go through that. When I first started running our Scion dealer, I asked that exact question. I was assured that EVERY Toyota dealership would be required to service and repair all Scion vehicles. It wasn't an option.

The thing is, the relationship between Scion isn't the same as between Honda and Acura. It isn't even the same as between Toyota and Lexus. Scions are Toyotas. They have Toyota VIN numbers, Toyota part numbers, Toyota model numbers and are covered by Toyota warranties. They are sold by Toyota dealers and all parts, service and everything else is handled by Toyota communication channels. Any Toyota dealer that tells you they can't service a Scion is also a dealership who would give you hassle with warranty work if you owed a Corolla.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member

Default A response from Scion Corporate

Dealers are independent businesses and franchises - they are NOT owned by Toyota/Scion (the automobile manufacturer). When a customer has warranty work completed on their Scion vehicle, the Toyota or Scion dealership is paid by Toyota/Scion, the manufacturer.
Toyota dealers are also authorized by Scion to work on Scion vehicles, REGARDLESS of whether they carry the Scion line or not. Customers also have the freedom and peace of mind that they can take their vehicle to ANY Toyota dealership in any of the 50 states. The customer is not restricted to his/her selling dealership. And while most dealerships happily follow this policy (Remember, they’re getting paid for warranty work. By denying work, they are denying income), they still have the business right to deny work if they so choose.

Quick Reply: Beware - Toyota dealers NOT obligated to fix Scions UPDATE