Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...
View Poll Results: Did you get a Scion No Hassel Car buying experience?
Yes, it was just lovely.
80.81%
No
17.17%
Yes, they even threw in a free underbody protection coating.
2.02%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a Scion No Hassle car buying experience?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default But im a real estate agent

I'd rather talk about how cheap I got my house... and how nice my car is...
Old 04-13-2004, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Munch
Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
Originally Posted by Munch
Yes I did. They even threw in a car care package complete with a bucket, wax, sponges, tire foam, and a few other goodies. I had a great experiance at my Scion dealer :D .
Yo, what da hell is diss ... you getten free-bees up dere in Nyork? Man dat aint right. Seriously Munch, your dealer gave what $30 worth of stuff to you, did you have to ask for it, or was it just tossed in cause the dealer had a crush on you?
It was tossed tro me with my car keys. I gotta admit the girl that showed me everything about my car was hot as hell. I go back to the dealer just to say hi every now and then :D . Gotta love them college chicks .

sunrise toyota :twisted: am I right munch I got the goodies and the sweetie doing the demo.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

I had a great experience at North County Scion in Anaheim, CA. They had the xB I wanted and my salesman actually talked me out of getting a couple accessories because he thought they were over priced. This was the best car buying experience I have ever had.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.
Scion Evolution

What gives here..
I'm tryingto buy a hot lava from a dealer in ATL.
he quoted me 16549.50 for an automatic.
I put down my 500.00 deposit.
I'll be tacking a bank check in hand to pick it up.
What I don't understand here is.. where did the xtra 604.50 come from??? :?:
Dealers...
Am I getting screwed here?
the car msrp = 14480
Delivery = 485
Hot lava package 980
That makes 15945 according to my math.
The dealer also told me I had to pay taxes on my own when I got plates.
I understand the HL is a special commodity, but am I gonna have to buy some vaseline before I take delivery???
Old 04-15-2004, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Edmunds is hardly gospel. There is no holdback on Scions, and holdback shows as a line item on every single Toyota vehicle (along with advertising.)

I am interested to know if the buyers who felt they got a "really good deal" financed or not, and if they know their percentage rate.

Mark aka Scion Sales
Old 04-15-2004, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member

Default msrp.

when i went to my local dealership (frontier toyota) i found their base price at the top of the sticker to be 14,480. now i thought that the base price was 13,680. so i went to another dealer about 10 min from home (hamer toyota) and found their base price at 13,680. so what is the base price. i ended up buying my xB from toyota of cerritos because no one had a camo man trans xB. awesome experience. drove over an hour but well worth it. i drove up they had my car washed and ready, i signed my paperwork, started my insurance and drove off in my car.

jerry.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scion sales
Edmunds is hardly gospel. There is no holdback on Scions, and holdback shows as a line item on every single Toyota vehicle (along with advertising.)

I am interested to know if the buyers who felt they got a "really good deal" financed or not, and if they know their percentage rate.

Mark aka Scion Sales
If the info is incorrect, why hasn't Toyota, Scion. or their dealers corrected it in the 10 months the data has been there? It is hardly to Toyota's or Edmunds' advantage to have incorrect information out there. A month ago in this thread a Scion salesman who supposedly is a player on Edmunds indicated that he was going to get the site changed. It hasn't happened so far.

Edmunds may not be gospel, but they _are_ relatively imparial. I doubt that they would intentionally misreport something as important as holdback.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: msrp.

Originally Posted by box of rox
when i went to my local dealership (frontier toyota) i found their base price at the top of the sticker to be 14,480. now i thought that the base price was 13,680. so i went to another dealer about 10 min from home (hamer toyota) and found their base price at 13,680. so what is the base price. i ended up buying my xB from toyota of cerritos because no one had a camo man trans xB. awesome experience. drove over an hour but well worth it. i drove up they had my car washed and ready, i signed my paperwork, started my insurance and drove off in my car.
Being that they are in our slightly upscale "bedroom community", I'd expect that Frontier's price would be higher than dealers in the Valley. A lot of local yuppies don't bother to compare and consider the Valley to be another planet.

Despite their "buy local" advertising campaign, the SCV auto dealers don't seem to match the prices of the Valley dealers.

George
Old 04-15-2004, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Default Re: Yes, and no. The ONE-PRICE policy is BS. Don't fall 4 it

Originally Posted by bradinsocal
Yes, the dealer probably has a 3% holdback, but you gotta give them this, unless the car is a slow mover.
no holdback on scions, baby.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Banned
SL Member

They Gave me a new LoJack free of charge,,,,and tires for life....
Old 04-15-2004, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member

Definitely a no haggle/ no hassle deal.
I created the xb I wanted on scion.com, printed out the summary sheet with accessories listed and a suggested retail price and gave it to a dealer at Price LeBlanc Toyota in Baton Rouge LA on January 24th (release date wasn't until Feb. 4th in Louisiana). On Feb. 4th I got the call my xb was in with all accessories installed and the final price was the exact price I printed off scion.com, NO CHANGES. I walked in, filled out the credit app, put 50% down, financed 50% and was out the door in less than an hour.

You can't argue thats hassle free! Now as far as price goes...I was willing to pay the price suggested by scion.com before I even went in to the dealer, so I didn't talk price with dealer. I payed exactly what I told them I was going to pay (the suggested retail from scion.com) and thats what I wanted.
Did I get the best price, I don't really know. I do know I paid a fair price for my xb, and that I feel the amount I paid was completely acceptable for the vehicle I drove off with.

Much love to James Marbrough at Price LeBlanc Baton Rouge LA, you definitely made my purchase no haggle/no hassle.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if they normally do this but my dealer filled the gas tank. There was and option online for 5 gallons $20. Oh plus I got the wheel locks for my rims and I didn't add those, of course maybe you get them free when you order 18's.
Stadium Scion
Tampa FL
Old 04-17-2004, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member

Dude-
The difference in the base price of the cars you looked at is the difference between an automatic and a manual transmission. Take a look on Scion.Com. All the answers are there. Scion does not print different window stickers for cars that are sold in different towns. Please don't put much credence in what "George-nanobus" says. If you check out all of his posts, most of what he says is uneducated conjuncture. He sounds like what he accuses car dealers of being, uneducated liars who make stuff up to accomplish something. Check reliable sources, more than one, talk to people that you know and trust and if you don't know someone in the car business that you feel comfortable with, check with friends and family. The only thing worse than an ignorant car salesman is someone who doesn't know a thing about the car business but doesn't know that he doesn't know. Jeez I'm tired of idiots spewing crap about something they don't know a thing about. If you can't contribute something positive, productive or helpfull-don't post! It's not an obligation.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default Great Experience at Beltway Scion

Set up an appointment for today with their internet manager, Andy Moore. I originally emailed him that I wanted a Polar White xB, 5-speed, with a spoiler. He responded that they didn't have them in stock, but it wouldn't be a problem ordering one if that's what I wanted.

Anyway, pulled in to the dealership and saw an RS 1.0 in front of the sales office. Thought that it was already sold because some guy was hanging all over it like it was his. I liked the color, but was disappointed that it was automatic. Anyway, Andy asked if I wanted to take it out for a drive, and I said yeah if it's still for sale.

After taking it out for a test drive though, man, my attitude changed. The automatic pulled into traffic without a problem, and I liked the color and accents on it. The spoiler was already there, and it had the lighting effects and 6-disc in dash (neither of which I would have bought separately).

So, after doing the numbers and everything, I went ahead and bought it today. After taxes/tags/etc, the cost came out to a few dozen short of $17K. My only complaint was the amount they offered for my trade-in: 2000 Impreza RS with 55K on it. They offered $7500 which wasn't enough for me... so I took it to CarMax and they offered me more. A little extra hassle, but at least I got an xB I liked and had a great sales experience. Worked with only the salesman--no finance guy trying to sell me any extra struff or hiding extra fees in there. Plus, they got me a lower interest rate than the 4.1% rate Toyota was offering, so I was happy. And, I didn't have to pay a premium like some dealers look like they're charging for the RS 1.0.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionguy
Dude-
...Please don't put much credence in what "George-nanobus" says. If you check out all of his posts, most of what he says is uneducated conjuncture.
In what way? Is it wrong to caution people, particularly first-time buyers, that there may be pitfalls in the car-buying process? Is it wrong to provide them with information and web resources to assist them in the purchase process?

BTW, if you've checked out _all_ of my posts then business must be _really_ slow! OTOH, I checked out all of yours in about 2 minutes.
He sounds like what he accuses car dealers of being, uneducated liars who make stuff up to accomplish something.
I have a bachelors' degree in mechanical engineering and have worked as an engineer in the automotive industry. Since you brought up education, what _are_ your qualifications?

And, of course, all car salesmen are scrupulously honest, right? They all know their products better than their enthusiast customers, and would _never_ "make stuff up" for customers? The salesman who told me how safe the xB is with its side air bags must have been an anomaly. Too bad that that he didn't spend more time reading his own brochures.

Car buyers, particularly newbies, need to realize that car dealers have a vested interest in giving them only the positive information regarding the purchase. Many (not all) salesmen hope that by the time the negative information comes out the customer will suck it up just to get the process over with. Many (not all) salesmen will bend the truth to make the sale. Scion dealers are no different than any other dealers in this regard. This is my experience, not conjecture.

When I bought my xB, I shopped at my local dealer first, then tried other dealers. Prices do vary because some dealers charge junk fees and others do not. Dealers are reluctant to reveal these fees before the customer is well into the purchase paperwork. This is my experience, not conjecture.
Check reliable sources, more than one, talk to people that you know and trust and if you don't know someone in the car business that you feel comfortable with, check with friends and family.
Excellent advice. This forum is a good place to start. There are many salespeople who have been here for a while, participate regularly, and have a good reputation. There are others who do not, and you'll find out about them here too.
The only thing worse than an ignorant car salesman is someone who doesn't know a thing about the car business but doesn't know that he doesn't know. Jeez I'm tired of idiots spewing crap about something they don't know a thing about. If you can't contribute something positive, productive or helpfull-don't post! It's not an obligation.
And I'm not terribly happy about salesmen who resort to character assassination.

I've been a Scion owner and a participant here since July and most folks realize that I know of what I speak. I've contributed tech articles and organized Scion meets, as well as moderating the forums. What contributions have you made?

I'm sorry that you don't like people who speak frankly, and who seem to mess up your "hunting ground" for sales prospects, but you'll just have to get used to it. After all, you said it yourself, in another thread:
I agree that only the dealers that are not doing this thing the right way would not want to participate. I like the candid feed back and open discussions. Bring it on!
Consider it brought!

George
Old 07-23-2004, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll be purchasing my Xb this Monday or Tuesday. I'm expecting the worst because the 2 local dealers here are charging $298 for document fees. The dealer is already making $700 on the sticker price and then I'm sure 80% of the $515 destination charge is pure profit. So, NO I will not be paying $298 for BS document fees. If either dealer does not come down on the fees Monday, I'm driving to Lake City in Florida to get my Xb on Tueday........
Old 07-23-2004, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my experience was mixed. the first Scion dealership told me they won't be getting new xB's in for a month and a half. I went to Deland Toyota/Scion ordered a 05 PW xB, got it in 4 days. in and out of the dealership in 1 hour max. I'm sure it is one thing going in knowing what you want, then it is if you have no idea.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion05hatch
and then I'm sure 80% of the $515 destination charge is pure profit.
The Dealer will not make any profit on the destination charge. The destination charge is set by Toyota, the dealership pays $515 to Toyota and then the charge is passed on to the customer.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member

hey come on, lets be real.....
this "no haggle strategy" is just the manufacturers way to protect their dealers by ensuring they get sticker for every scion they sell.....nice.
not many new cars see as much profit per car as the scion.....usually if a dealer makes 400 over list hes very lucky....hes making all his money on the car u traded in for 3500 bucks and hes selling for 6k....
Old 08-15-2004, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by evomind
hey come on, lets be real.....
this "no haggle strategy" is just the manufacturers way to protect their dealers by ensuring they get sticker for every scion they sell.....nice.
not many new cars see as much profit per car as the scion.....usually if a dealer makes 400 over list hes very lucky....hes making all his money on the car u traded in for 3500 bucks and hes selling for 6k....
Exactly All this does is ensure the dealership a 5% profit before any options or financing are taken into account. Factor in doc fees that can be in excess of $500 and the dealer is coming out pretty nice for 1 vehicle sold. I'll agree that it was nice not to be haggled when I went in to test drive a tc, but the no-hassle thing is just there to cover up a nice profit margin and make you feel good about it.

Quick Reply: Did you get a Scion No Hassle car buying experience?