Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

How much should I put down on a Scion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member

Default How much should I put down on a Scion?

I really want a Scion xB, Automatic Blue Peal I'm saving up money for a downpayment while building my credit history. I got my first credit cards recently, a secured credit card with BOA in August followed by a Cap 1 unsecured card in sept. My goal is to get a Scion with no co-signer if possible and get the lowest rate possible.
My question is how much should I save up and put down. I'm saving about 400 a month now and I have about $1000 saved up thus far.
I'm calculating tax, title, lic, fees into my loan as well. I'm nervous about taking on such a huge amount of debt for a long time

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-18-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-12-2004, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would put down as much as you can afford. the more you put down the less you owe. I ended up putting 4K down and my payment is only 205 a month. whatever you don't fall into the trap of doing a 6 year loan. even though the payment will be less a month, you end up paying more to interest. good luck with your purchase. :D
Old 11-12-2004, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even with a limited credit history, you should be able to get the best Scion rate available as long as the little credit that you do have, is all good. Since Scion bases its financing almost solely on your score, not necessarily the amount of credit that you have, using your credit cards for a few months may be enough to get your score high enough. Use your credit card frequently but make sure that you only spend an amount that you are able to pay off every month. And like violent b said, the more you can put down, the lower the payment will be. You can use the payment estimator on www.Scion.com to get an idea of what your payment will be depending on the amount down, interest rate, price of vehicle, etc. You sound like you are being smart about this so I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck
Old 11-12-2004, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the input, I like the option of a low monthly payment. 200 a month I can afford and I can pay more monthly if I want to.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LIke the other guys said, put down as much as possible. A good target is around 20% down if you can. Try not to get into a 6 year loan if possible, because it will cost more in interest and will take longer before you have enough equity to trade. A lease can be a good way to keep the payment low, but a lease is not the best way for everyone. See what best fits your situation. If you plan on customizing the car at all, then don't lease, because the accessories do not affect the residual and, unless they are removable, you don't get the goods back at the lease end. Whenever possible, pay extra over your monthly payment. This will lower the principle, thus allowing you to pay less over the life of the loand because you will save on the amount of interest.
Good Luck, and enjoy the car when you get one.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

put down as much as possible
Old 11-13-2004, 03:53 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I only put 1000 down since I needed the a new car at very short notice. My payments are 308 a month, 72 months. eek. I'm doing double payments though since i have two jobs, heh.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its a crapshoot. You could put down 20% or whatever for 6 years, and pay more interest, BUT If you have a low payment you can always pay more and your principal will be lower which is great! Honestly, how many of you plan on keeping the Scion you own for 6 years? Most likely not alot........ so go for 72 months, make bigger payments with your smaller 72 month loan and when you sell it, you'll be better off.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member

Is a 5 year loan bad or good? I would never go for a 6 year loan, my goal is to pay the car off asap.
I could see myself with my scion for 5 or 6 years especially since it will be my new first car purchase ever and I tend to keep my cars until they break down.

RIP $200 1.5L Geo Spectrum you never got me any good gas mileage. Tranny died then replaced that and the timing belt broke on my birthday one year.

current car. 1900 240sx, Damn you for electrical drain and forcing me to drive without a radio and getting crappy gas mileage. I paid 2k for it and i never should have bought the POS but I must say it does run ok for the most part.

I'm gun shy about buying used after my last 2 used car purchases. Scion Xb will be all mine to drive and run up mileage and I'll be able to maintain it without worrying about it's past history.

Is a car is gas mileage over 25 mpg city too much to ask for??
Old 11-14-2004, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

taxes ..they are with you for life , don't pay interest on them . same true for license and any doc/dealer fees .
every grand about $20 bucks on monthly payment .
do this :
decide on about you want to finance .
then : .56 X
amt. fin . X
years X
% rate =
int. on amt. fin *
take amount financed + amount of interest *
now divide that number by the monthes financed , that should equal your monthly , give or take $ 5 .00 . ( don't forget cost of insurance . in what you plan to pay/month)
MAIN THING : get and KEEP good credit . (the world runs on it )
scionoflouisville.com has pretty good page..shows vehicle , accessory ,and finance rates . and you can link scion.com from there .
zinc
Old 06-23-2005, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Joselito
current car. 1900 240sx,
They made the 240sx in 1900? Whoa.

: P I kid, I kid!
Old 06-26-2005, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would do a 5 year term with as much down as you can. Also look into insurance, I ran into a current problem of seeming like I might get stuck with $300 a month insurance while my car payment would only be $200 It sucks to be 20
Old 06-26-2005, 12:32 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by violent b
whatever you don't fall into the trap of doing a 6 year loan. even though the payment will be less a month, you end up paying more to interest. good luck with your purchase. :D
thats what i did, oh well live and learn
Old 06-27-2005, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member

I'm still saving up money as I had to move out on my own. I hope to buy an XB within the year.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Joselito
I'm still saving up money as I had to move out on my own. I hope to buy an XB within the year.
I feel your pain man. I'm about to move out on my own, plus payments on my neon, car insurance, and finishing off 4 more months of payments on my wrecked 01 mitsu mirage. Sometime this fall I'm going to trade off the neon for either an xA or xB. I want to put 20% down, but I don't know how much of that is realistic or not.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member

I'm thinking on doing the 72 month plan with 1k down and a 5.1% apr. Low payments are a plus, 248. I'll pay on the interest and add extra money when I can.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like everyone said-------Put down as much as possible.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for every 1000 you put down... you are taking about 20 bucks off your monthly payment
Old 06-30-2005, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what i did is... put 1000 down... took the 6 year plan... and im making double payments
Old 06-30-2005, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member

I'm only able to put about 1k down right now. I'll save up for a few months and try to put 2k down.

Quick Reply: How much should I put down on a Scion?