Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

i-KONA Badgeless Garnish GB-CLOSED-Pending Finalization

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle
Originally Posted by iripthekut
just got mine today. very clean. good job iKONA!
Do u SEE Sanding Marks on yours?.....or UnEven Clearcoat???

or see the "oval"???

Man....Mine looks pretty bad up close!!!!
Like I said before since Id be fixing you work that you tried to debadge it yourself It might not be as good as if it were a fresh piece. The garnish had no defined shape to it since the body line was sanded down and flooded with spray can paint. I did the best I could and would've preferred a fresh pieces.

I never had a complaint against my garnishes accept sanding marks. But those sanding marks you see are only in the clear coat from the 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper. You cant buff a garnish off the car since its such a small pieces. What I suggest everybody to do is either buff it themselves or have it machine buffed by a professional. Because once the garnish is on the car, is stable, sturdy and wont budge, then you can give it a good moderate pressure buff with rubbing compound to remove those wet sanding marks. Of coarse I could always not wet sand it and say it should be taken in to wet sand buff and polish but thats no good. I can only do so much. Like a fender. Their very light and have many different shapes and bends. If you tried to buff it off of a car you will get a poor result because of it wobbling on you. Its not worth risking burning the piece or have it fall or fly away. (learning from experience) Any professional buffer will tell you no matter what the panel is, you'll get a much better result if your doing it on the car, then off the car. And any professional buffer will say you'll see wet sanding marks if you don't give it a buff with good pressure.

And if anybody has a problem with the paint job I will gladly take it back to re shoot it. Ive said that before, and I'll say it again.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^^ do you have and visible sand marks on yours?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ikona could you please PM me back when you have a moment? Ive been trying to get in touch with you for a few days now (last Friday).
Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iripthekut
^^^ do you have and visible sand marks on yours?
U askin me?...lol

Yes I do...I have Sanding Marks..U can SEE the oval at certain angles.
And I have uneven clearcoat coverage.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can see the oval also.

but idk if it was when my cf hatch was installed or not. but it probably 85% is. here are some pics when i first got it. my garnish was the first one done. i also gave the idea back when i was still tCtCtC (thinking of going back)

Old 06-12-2008, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the sanding marks aren't nothing to worry about. i cant get those off. im pretty satisfied with my garnish.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TeeSizzle send me a pic of your garnish because I want to see the uneven clear coat. I flood these garnishes with clear to give it a real smooth wet sand. Send it back if you want it repainted I have no problem with that :D!

I dont have sanding marks on my personal one on the tC because I machine buffed it with moderate pressure when it was strong on the car. Thats the only way to remove all the marks and fade spots like I said. If the clear coat looks uneven it probably needs a good polish because like I said. Theres no way I can give it a good buff with out it being on the trunk.

And if your core is strictly visible like you can see where its coming out thats because it was either twisted or bent. The cores are filled with fiberglass and bondo. Itl be perfect if the garnish isn't forced to be bent or jerked like crazy. I know some people really tug on the garnish when you open the hatch and sometimes that will do the job to crack the garnish core. Many people rip the garnish off the car just because they tug too hard.

When I open my hatch I click the button and crack it open, then I lift it from the bottom while holding the button so that I'm not using the garnish to pull the hatch off. Its very thin ABS It can brake easily.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there a backlog on the core exchanges? I just need to know if I'll be able to time it to where I'll get my deposit back before I leave for vacation in a few weeks cause if not I'll just transfer $100 over to my checking account from my savings account to cover it. It'll be 10 weeks this friday though I just wanna make sure I wasn't accidentally skipped over or forgotten about, I know that can happen when there are this many orders to cover so it's cool
Old 06-12-2008, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ikona... whats the status on mine? I ordered a brand new one...no exchange....with the door plugs...flint mica color!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iKONA
TeeSizzle send me a pic of your garnish because I want to see the uneven clear coat. I flood these garnishes with clear to give it a real smooth wet sand. Send it back if you want it repainted I have no problem with that :D!

I dont have sanding marks on my personal one on the tC because I machine buffed it with moderate pressure when it was strong on the car. Thats the only way to remove all the marks and fade spots like I said. If the clear coat looks uneven it probably needs a good polish because like I said. Theres no way I can give it a good buff with out it being on the trunk.

And if your core is strictly visible like you can see where its coming out thats because it was either twisted or bent. The cores are filled with fiberglass and bondo. Itl be perfect if the garnish isn't forced to be bent or jerked like crazy. I know some people really tug on the garnish when you open the hatch and sometimes that will do the job to crack the garnish core. Many people rip the garnish off the car just because they tug too hard.

When I open my hatch I click the button and crack it open, then I lift it from the bottom while holding the button so that I'm not using the garnish to pull the hatch off. Its very thin ABS It can brake easily.
at least you can open yours that way. because of my backup cam i have to use my key to trigger the censter to open mine
Old 06-12-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease give me some kind of update, i don't care if it takes another 6 months, i just hate being ignored
Old 06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seriously ive sent many pm'since last friday, all of them had many questions and possible solutions, and the one pm you sent back yesterday answers nothing nor even acknowledges my proposal for a solution. You just ask what my name is and that you'll get back to me later. Don't you have a spreadsheet with everyone's info so you don't have to keep asking everytime someone has a question? I've sent you my name and all my info in email's at least three times. Anyhow, I think I'm done with this. All I needed was to be kept up to date with the situation. Instead I paid you $179 six weeks ago on the promise that it wouldn't be more than 4 weeks, and that you'd throw in bumper plugs, door plugs and a cubby thing to make it worth the wait. If you could please put a check in the mail today or tomorrow, we'll call it a day and move right along. I'll just get the local body shop to knock it out over the weekend. Thanks.

PM for my address, cause I'm guessing you still dont have it written down, though I've sent it three times. And please don't take long to get back to me, I only have a couple more days left to open a claim on paypal, and I've never had to do that and I don't want you to be my first reason to.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MountScion1
Seriously ive sent many pm'since last friday, all of them had many questions and possible solutions, and the one pm you sent back yesterday answers nothing nor even acknowledges my proposal for a solution. You just ask what my name is and that you'll get back to me later. Don't you have a spreadsheet with everyone's info so you don't have to keep asking everytime someone has a question? I've sent you my name and all my info in email's at least three times. Anyhow, I think I'm done with this. All I needed was to be kept up to date with the situation. Instead I paid you $179 six weeks ago on the promise that it wouldn't be more than 4 weeks, and that you'd throw in bumper plugs, door plugs and a cubby thing to make it worth the wait. If you could please put a check in the mail today or tomorrow, we'll call it a day and move right along. I'll just get the local body shop to knock it out over the weekend. Thanks.

PM for my address, cause I'm guessing you still dont have it written down, though I've sent it three times.
This sounds exactly like me, except change the 6 weeks to 10 weeks. And subract the bumper plugs and cubby thing crap. ]

I really like i-Kona so I'm extremely hesitant to leave any sort of comment that would reflect negatively on his reputation, that's why I've been extremely cordial during this whole process.

But the last PM I got was a week ago saying "send me your name and I'll ive you an ETA", so I did and haven't heard anything back since.

I just really hate being kept in the dark, and the only reason I'm getting this perturbed is because there is money involved that has already been sent.

All I'm really asking for is some sort of status pertaining to me directly, I know I was a core exchange so the wait time is longer then usual, which I am fine with, If it takes another month I don't care, I just hate being kept in the dark.

I'm sure i-Kona's inbox is full of 100 messages about everything, so when I don't hear a reply back right away I don't mind. The only time I start to wonder and write messages such as this is when he posts replies and notices of PM's in this topic and still hasn't address my posts or PM's about this topic, because then I feel like he's paying attentin to the topic'situation but just choosing to ignore me.

i-Kona, please please please give me an update on me specifically either through this site or even call me directly, 301-752-0852, I'd love to talk to you as well. I'm a really nice guy and I know how complicated this sort of stuff can get and a how easy it is to lose track with people I just need something
Old 06-12-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mediacations I completely agree with you, I've never had anything short of stellar service here on ScionLife. But with any relationship, business or otherwise clear/consistant communication is a must. Unfortunately I'm sure ikona has many other things going on, but its not cool to leave us in the dark and with everything else going on in my life (Finals are next week) I don't like having this much money sitting out in limbo. I'll be more than cordial the first 5-10x I ask you, then my irratation starts to show.

At this point I'd just like my money back and pay more for a local body shop to do it. I'm willing to pay extra for better lines of communication.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for all the delays! If you need answers please PM me again! I try to PM as many people as I can but many messages get erased by SL because of the full inbox. Sorry if I take so long! I have several cars that need body and paint work and a full custom crx paint job so it means less time on the computer. I'm not neglecting everybody's orders, I make time to do everything. I just cant control how long it takes for the post office to send me back stock garnishes. I thank everybody for the great patience and everybody will get their garnish
Old 06-13-2008, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey ikona i have a sugestion how about you post a list of all the people in the group buy by order of who paid first then next to the name put the order type i.e. core exchange, sent in garnish then next to that put the order status i.e. complete or an estimated done date. that way everyone knows where they stand and is up to date. just my two cents
Old 06-13-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please let me know if you got my PM I just sent about how I'm going to be be a away for a month, my concern is that if the garnish is not here by the 24th, it will be a month before I get back from summer break to send you back the old garnish. And I really don't want to hold up the show for you or anyone else. Thanks
Old 06-15-2008, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default garnish

I-Kona...I was promised a replacement for my garnish which is cracked in the corner like 2 months ago...and I two have not got an answer to my PM's for a few days...could you let me know? Thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just curious is anything in the works to go out this week, or are you still waiting to get garnishes returned? Thanks for any updates.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there a backlog on the core exchanges? I just need to know if I'll be able to time it to where I'll get my deposit back before I leave for vacation in a few weeks cause if not I'll just transfer $100 over to my checking account from my savings account to cover it. It'll be 10 weeks this friday though I just wanna make sure I wasn't accidentally skipped over or forgotten about, I know that can happen when there are this many orders to cover so it's cool

Quick Reply: i-KONA Badgeless Garnish GB-CLOSED-Pending Finalization