Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

p-tuning messed up my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default p-tuning messed up my car

Okay, on august 8th, 2007, i brought my 05 tc 5-speed to p-tuning for installaion of (all brand new) clutchmaster stage 3 clutch, competition clutch 9.5 pound flywheel, ingalls stainless steel clutch line, and TRD LSD.

when i picked up my car, i noticed immediately that the travel of the clutch pedal was extremely short, and engaging gears was took noticibly more effort to move through the shift gate. the very next day, i could not get my car into reverse. it was like reverse had just completely left the building and there was absolutly no access to the empty lot. i called p-tuning, explained the problem i was having. they told me that there must simply be an air bubble in the clutch line, it is a simple problem with a simple solution, and to bring it to them and they will bleed it for me. so the next day i drove back to p-tuning, and waited...several hours, i think about 3 hours, and they told me my car was ready, and their mechanic or tech or whatever took me for a test drive with my car. he told me that from now on, i must shift to 1st gear to align the synchronizers, and then shift to reverse. this worked about half the time, even the mechanic/technician had trouble after our test drive, walking me through how to engage reverse. i took my car back, and was kind of bothered by how my car was behaving after all this, but i reassured myself that this was p-tuning, they have installed several lsd's on other tcs, and probably installed lsd's on lots of other cars, and they knew their stuff, and if something was wrong, they would know.

now my car shift pattern was a bit rougher but i was unsure if this was normal or not because just about everything having to do with shifting has been changed. i drove my car very lightly because i had clearly read that clutchmaster says to break-in the clutch by driving gently for 500 miles. not a problem since i only drive to my work just down the road everyday. since i usually park in a manor that doesn't require me to reverse out, i wasn't bothered too often by reverse being a bit of a pain in the butt to engage, but it did seem to be getting worse.

fast forward to about 500 miles later (i set trip A as my clutch break-in tracker) and i'm on interstate 70 driving to college. i downshift from 5th gear to 4th to overtake a slow moving vehicle in the right lane, and i hear and feel a grinding noise as the shifter moves into forth gear. at first i am wondering if maybe i simply let the clutch in too soon and grinded the gear, but then once i have passed the vehicle and go back to fifth gear, i feel and hear the grinding AGAIN! i turn down my music and listen intently as i test out my transmission, and 4th gear is fine, but 5th gear consistantly grinds as i go to engage it.

needless to say i am now very worried. i call p-tuning and tell them what is wrong. they don't have a problem looking at my car again, but they would not provide a rental car, or a tow truck to come and get my car, and they are 50 miles away. so i was forced to take my car to my dealership, fitzgerald toyota because they are very close, and will provide me with a loaner car as long as they are working on my tc. i talk to my service advisor, mr. steve gooche, and explain to him who installed what, and what happened. i am hoping that my tc will hopefully be easily fixed, and covered under warranty, because these problems should not have come from a clutch or flywheel or ss clutch line. the trd lsd is my suspect, but it is a warrantied part, so i should be good right? WRONG!

fitzgerald begins with a tear down of my transmission, durring which they tell me that there are several problems with my transmission before they even found the problem.
1. transmission was sealed very slopily.
2. lock washer was reused. they said that once that part has been removed, it is supposed to be replaced with a brand new one.
3. lock washer is held in place with a cotter's pin. mine was missing, and instead of a cotter's pin, p-tuning used safety wire, which didn't work very well now did it.

so right there is a sterling example of p-tunings fine work right off the bat.

after tearing down the transmission, fitzgerald said that my 5th gear synchronizer had slit into 3 pieces. the clutch, flywheel and lsd were all performing correctly, and there are no signs of driver abuse. the reason this happened was because it was mis-aligned durring the re-installation after instaling the lsd, which has to be done in order for it to be installed.

now, i am not happy, i call p-tuning to tell them what was found, i give fitzgerald and p-tuning contact information so they can keep eachother updated. fitzgerald took some very nice pictures of the damaged components.

p-tuning trys to help by getting one of their scion corp contacts involved. a regional represenative of scion mike medallia, and the central atlantic scion field technician go to fitzgerald to examine my car. they are trying to find some sort of way to cover the cost of my repair under my powertrain warranty. but they can't do that because if they do my labor under warranty, they have to show toyota that the problem was a manufacturer defect, but they don't have any deffective parts to send them. all they have is blatent evidence of poor workmanship durring lsd installation. so i can't get covered by a warranty because it was not the lsd's fault, and since p-tuning was the installer, i don't have the same coverage as i would of gotten if a toyota dealership had done the work.

i tell p-tuning the news and want to know what they are going to do about my extremely large bills that i now have. i have an installation bill from p-tuning for about $1300 dollars, and now i have a repair from fitzgerald toyota for just under $2000 dollars.

p-tuning refuses to refund my installation fee that they charged me, and refuse to pay for the repairs made to my transmission. p-tuning feels that they did their job right, and are entitled to their installation charges, and are not responsible for my repair costs for the following reasons:

it is known in the perforamance industry that installation of aftermarket parts along with abusive driving causes alot of stress that car manufacturers had not intended factory components to endure. and that the reason why my warranty was voided was because of the presense of aftermarket parts.

that my car is highly modified. and if my car was stock, and if p-tuning had installed just the lsd, than 5th gear failure would be due only to abusive driving. but the clutch, flywheel, clutch line, and royal purple transmission fluid are not recommended by my scion dealership, and that is why they denied warranty coverage.

1. the performance clutch with its high clamping pressure plate and race disc could cause stress and damage to 5th gear.

2. the light weight flywheel is the incorrect non OEM step height and could cause extreme stress and/or damage to 5th gear.

Fitzgerald Toyota confirmed that these parts were in proper working order and not to blame for the failure of 5th gear synchronizer.

3. the transmission oil i provided was the not the proper OEM viscosity. i provided 75W-90, but scion reccommends 75W-140, and improper lubrication could have caused this damage.

Checked the owners manual, that is the proper oil viscosity for the manual transmission, and I confirmed with the dealership that the LSD does not require a thicker viscosity oil. And I have NO idea where they got this 75W-140

4. p-tuning says that I complained about reverse gear grinding thus there was a pre-existing condition, and that all gears are related, and for one gear to have pre-existing grinding, there are 3 possible scenarios
1. defective gearing from factory
2. abusive driving
3. installation of aftermarket performance parts that I already installed on the vehicle prior to p-tuning.

Now, to begin with, I did not complain that reverse gear always grinds. As I turned the car over to p-tuning, I talked about the transmission, how reverse is a square cut, unsynchronized gear and that if you attempt to engage it when the car is not completely stopped, it will grind, like if the car is just slightly rolling forwards or backwards. And how if reverse doesn’t engage right away, the owner’s manual says to release the clutch, shift to neutral, and then depress the clutch and try again, which always worked until p-tuning installed the transmission.

Since the was bought brand new, and if there was a problem with reverse, I would have brought it back to the dealership for repairs under warranty. So scenario 1 according to p-tuning is ruled out, and thus thusly it was either my abusive driving or my installation of some part prior to p-tuning.

Well, I’m not an abusive driver, fitzgerald Toyota confirmed that there are no signs of driver abuse, and I have never installed any parts on my that would have effected my transmission. Also, I don’t install parts on my tc, all my parts have been professionally installed. And also, if my transmission was just 500 miles away from breaking its synchronizer due to some pre-existing condition, wouldn’t p-tuning have noticed? Installing an lsd, they should have been the first people to notice if there was a pre-existing problem with my transmission.

5. the stress and eventual failure of the 5th gear synchronizer could have been caused by abusive driving such as drop launching the car at high rpms, quick shifting between gears at high rpms, and racing or autocross.

So many things wrong, if I had destroyed one of my lower gears, like 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, it would be completely believable that this could have happened from drag racing or auto crossing or abusive driving. But 5th gear? There is no possible way for abusive driving to damage a 5th gear synchronizer! Fitzgerald Toyota even confirmed, that even if my tc was turbocharged making an obscene amount of power, there is no way it could break its own 5th gear synchronizer.

P-tuning says that if they installed the lsd wrong, the car wouldn’t of even left their parking lot, let alone travel 525 miles before having a problem. But again, the problem was not the LSD, but the way they handled my transmission.

SO TO SUM UP. P-tuning says that they are not to blame for transmission repair bill and are entitled to their installation fee they charged. And that my 5th gear synchronizer repair was not covered under warranty be scion because of the presence of aftermarket modifications, which fitzgerald Toyota confirmed were working properly and were not to blame. My abusive driving, which again, fitz confirmed that there were no signs of abusive driving on the vehicle whatsoever, and even so, abusive driving could not damage the 5th gear synchronizer no matter how much power my tc made, which by the way is completely N/A, me installing something on my car causing this problem, well, there have been no other modifications to my transmission until this was done. Most of the parts on my car were bought and installed by Toyota dealerships. Even p-tunings contract at scion tried to find a way to find them not responsible for the damages to my transmission, but there was nothing they could find other than poor workmanship/labor with the installation of the LSD.

so p-tuning blames the parts for the failure or my alledged abusive driving for failure and they base that on the testament that my car drove for just about 500 miles before the transmission had problems, but after fitzgerald toyota fixed my tc, using the same parts (same clutch, same flywheel, same lsd, same clutch line, just a few new bits and pieces in the transmission itself were actually replaced, i have gone 7000 miles without a problem. so does it sound like my tc experienced a problem parts, abusive driving, or improper installation?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow p tuning is pretty shady i would say bad workmanship on installing.... they just want there money thats all it is...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also i hope you charged p tunings install back so you dont pay... i hope u pay with your credit card
Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow...I wouldn't know what to do. Sounds like Ptuning better do some owning up..They have a lot of customers here. It also sounds like they are trying to talk the toyota dealership to agree with them to avoid fault. I would get the toyota dealership to sign for what you were explaining about the poor installation. Is this situation going to require a lawsuit??
Old 02-12-2008, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

correct, i called my credit card company, but it is still in the disputed catagory after all these months, p-tuning won't refund it back.

as for the dealership, i stopped by today, talked to the service manager. he is pulling up my file to put together his own testimony about what happened from the dealerships point of view. mostly verifying my story that the parts worked properly, they have also done nearly every oil change on my tc since i bought it new, and have never seen any signs of driver abuse, most of the parts on my car are TRD and installed by them. and all the only cause they could find for transmission problem was poor workmanship. no part failure, no driver abuse.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck drax...keep us informed on what's goin on
Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have a perfect case for a lawsuit because thats bull ____ you half to fork that money over for something you didn't cause.... i feel sorry for that company you spent a nice chunk of money there and this is how you get treated... I dont understand Customer Service at all.. they just know they weer at fault and they are trying to get Toyota to fix there mistake because they have connections. Well all in all i hope you get it worked out and have Toyota do your work because obviously they are not morons
Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
correct, i called my credit card company, but it is still in the disputed catagory after all these months, p-tuning won't refund it back.

as for the dealership, i stopped by today, talked to the service manager. he is pulling up my file to put together his own testimony about what happened from the dealerships point of view. mostly verifying my story that the parts worked properly, they have also done nearly every oil change on my tc since i bought it new, and have never seen any signs of driver abuse, most of the parts on my car are TRD and installed by them. and all the only cause they could find for transmission problem was poor workmanship. no part failure, no driver abuse.
damn sux dude

get toyota's side of the story written and documented then sue p-tuning! for 1300 + the repair cost
Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

wow, your experience alone was enough to disgust me. i have ZERO tolerance for shady shops that don't back up their work after my turbo install experience.

hey P-Tuning, if any of you are reading this, you should step in and make this right by drax. issues like these make or break performance shops, and right now it doesn't look very good for you at all.

drax, hope everything gets taken care of man. i know what it's like to deal with shops like this. just make sure you let EVERYONE know how BAD P-Tuning has been. hopefully they'll lose more than that $$$ in missed sales/services because of this.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let us know the outcome.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jaxtcracer They will loose tons of service i might put it in my Sig... to help out and make people aware. Vote for adding it in this sig ;)
Old 02-12-2008, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, i have to say, thank you guys for all your support in this.

yeah, i went to scion exposed this past fall, and so many of the cars there had so many great things to say about p-tuning. i'm litereally the only person i know who is having a problem with them. and since i didn't really know what the problem with my car was yet (it was still being diagnosed at the dealership at the time) i wasn't going to start badmouthing them before the cause of the problem was found. now p-tuning doesn't want to own up to what they did, and now it has come to this.

currently my father and i are handling it though the virginia department of consumer affairs. we finially get an answer from p-tuning, who had a month to prepare their response to our complaint, but for some messed up reason, we were only given a week to respond to their accusations about how it wasn't their fault.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:29 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by CSUnited14
jaxtcracer They will loose tons of service i might put it in my Sig... to help out and make people aware. Vote for adding it in this sig ;)
X2 - I can't stand shady shops and I'll throw it in my sig too!
Old 02-12-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, if you guys want to put it in your signature and help spread the word for me, i would be greatly apreciative for it. i just did, don't know why i didn't think of it right off the bat.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 AM
SL Member

Added and good luck! I'm reading lots of transmission install issues, might go to the dealer for my LSD/Clutch install Going to cost a ____ load
Old 02-12-2008, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fdkumro
Added and good luck! I'm reading lots of transmission install issues, might go to the dealer for my LSD/Clutch install Going to cost a poop load
yeah, if the dealership does it and something goes wrong, your 100% covered by your powertrain warranty. it might cost a bit more than a regular performance shop might charge...but well, look what i'm going through.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where is p-tuning?....dude that fuc@ing suck I would go the BBB and file a complaint...
Old 02-12-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EDIT - I need to learn to read both sides of the story before coming off as a tool myself...
Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciondriver1466
where is p-tuning?....dude that fuc@ing suck I would go the BBB and file a complaint...
p-tuning is a gold sponsor on this forum site. and i was taken in by their website, their posts about how amazing their facilities are, how good their mechanics and work they do is. i met them at the washington auto show last year and saw their awesome project tc they had there.

mid-atlantic scion actually hired them to build that custom turbo racing tc that they took to time attack at summit and such. they aren't some little nobody garage. whenever i asked somebody about them, they had great things to say about them. the worst story i ever heard was from mehr (ashiva) who told me the scratched the rim on some guys porsche.

when i got my lsd, i asked my dealership how much to install, and they didn't even know trd made an lsd for the tc, but p-tuning had apparently installed several LSD's and the owners were all happy about it.

so i mean, with all that going for them, i thought it was a slam dunk, a sure thing. if you check my posts before this incident, whenever somebody would ask what is a good garage to take their car to for anything performance related, i would reccommend p-tuning to them. then, when i actually went and took my tc to p-tuning for the first time, THIS HAPPENS!

anyway, this is pretty much the crushing blow that killed my dreams of boosting my tc with a stage 1 turbo kit. i had planned to buy a kit, and have it installed and tuned by p-tuning down the road because of the great cars they have turned out, but now i'm sitting here with a $1300 installation bill that they won't refund, and a $2000 dollar repair bill that they won't pay for. so obviously i can't ever return to p-tuning ever again, and i don't think that i can trust another garage to install a turbo on my car and tune it cause if $h!t hits the fan, nobody stands by their work. not even p-tuning.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:01 AM
SL Member

oh damn i have a stage 1 zpi kit coming and i planned on having ptuning possibly do my install and def. my tuning but now it makes me think twice. I want somebody who stands by their work not just the money. This really makes me think twice.

Quick Reply: p-tuning messed up my car