Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...
View Poll Results: What areas could be improved at your local Scion Dealership?
More examples of "project cars" on display
5.56%
Vehicles with more dealer installed options
0%
Vehicles with less dealer installed options
27.78%
Larger Inventory of Parts instock
22.22%
More followup after purchase about parts specials and deals
5.56%
None of the above my experience was perfect!
27.78%
Other
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

What did you like and dislike about your buying experience.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Tuners

Default What did you like and dislike about your buying experience.

My name is Shawn Carr and I have just been assigned to our Scion Dealership here in Annapolis Maryland. We are just now starting to train on the Scion promise and wanted some real world feedback about what I can do for my customers to make their experience the best anyone could expect.

:?: I would also like to know what modifications if any you as enthusiasts would like to have as options on your vehicles suplied by the dealership. And if having your dealer in close association with the local tuner shops would be of benefit.

Any help or advice you could give would be a big help to myself and my future customers. My goal is to not make mistakes other dealerships may have.

Thank you in advance,
Shawn
Old 09-11-2003, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default One Happy Monkey

I literally had the perfect experience. I got exactly what I wanted, ordered and had it 2 weeks later, got a great deal on my trade in, and very very friendly dealer staff.
Only mods I've done, bB badges (front and rear), pitched the hubcaps, amp, and box in the trunk.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

I bought our second xB the other day from Longo Scion. Verone went far beyond the call of duty to get me into this car. He even delivered it himself. Mad props to Longo Scion!
Old 09-11-2003, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey Shawn,
At my dealership, we are lucky to have a pretty good selection of vehicles, which always helps, but we don't put on too many dealer ad ons (You hear a lot of stories of dealers adding cheasy big ___ wheels and charging rediculous markup, and we do put wheels on some of the cars, but we always take them off if the customer doesn't want them). What we did instead was take one car that we bought for the dealership, and just modified the heck out of it...DVD, nice kenwood sound system, neon, moon roof, custom graphics, etc etc etc, and let customers see what they can do if they want. I like it better that way too, because my managers let me take the project car to shows and meets.
Unfortunately, and quite suprisingly, someone just bought the show car, but building it was half the fun, and now we get to do it again! Not to mention, now we can probably use some JDM stuff!!!!! sweeeeeet! You'd be shocked at who bought the car too! It was like a 60 year old couple, who were so stoked about it! Pretty funny stuff.
Anyway, if you have any more questions about what's working for us as a dealer, and what's not working, feel free to PM me, or even give me a call at 1-800-EL-CAJON, my name is Drew Becker.

Good luck with your rollout....I know Scion will be as big a hit on the east coast as it is here. My friends back home in Chicago (I just moved to cali a few months ago) are all jealous that they have to wait!
Old 09-11-2003, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some (not all) Scion dealers are still playing dealer games like stalling, sidestepping requests for information, tacking on junk fees, outright lying, etc. that sour the buyer's experience.

Dealers, don't do it! It's not nice, and won't retain any of those "Gen Y" buyers that are so coveted by Toyota.

Buyers, don't stand for it! The car has a fixed price, so find a dealer that treats you with respect.

George
Old 09-12-2003, 02:29 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Tuners

Default I just want to thank everyone.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. This was never intended as and ad for my dealership, and I should have stated that in the first post. Hell I won't even get my hands on our first car until Dec. 1. The poll results are what I expected and I am glad i have the support from our GM not to "load up" vehicles. These cars were intended to be a blank canvas.

We have already contacted several tuning shops in the area and all have been excited at the chance to get there hands on one. I have heard of the stories of $3,500 wheel packages and think this is just another example of "old dogs and new tricks" I am a little out of the core DEMOGRAPHIC toyota is aiming for (30 years old), but am a tuner at heart. I wish they had a vehicle like this when I was getting my first maybe I wouldn't have had to settle for a used CRX.

I am new to the management side and fairly new to the car field and I hope this helps us to better adapt to the Scion way of customer service. I am glad to read your posts and see all the enthusiasm and excitement. I can't wait to interact with my customers without the WALL that has traditionaly been erected between the dealership and the consumer.

Thanks again, You have all been a big help and I hope you will continue to post any feedback that will put us on the right path.

Shawn carr
Old 09-12-2003, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member

I think the factory "tuned" car is a cool idea. I would like to walk into the local dealership and see a totally tricked out xB. I really dislike the HUGE markups on the dealer installed aftermarket wheels, I mean 2500 for 17s!! give me a break!! Although they have those nice Axis Spiders on the wall I want. And PLEASE know stuff about the vehicle I hate going to the local dealership and knowing more than the chick that works there. Although she looks REALLY good.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: What did you like and dislike about your buying experien

Originally Posted by KoonsAnnapolisScion
Any help or advice you could give would be a big help to myself and my future customers. My goal is to not make mistakes other dealerships may have.
Shawn,

The fact that you asked these question is a good sign of your genuine interest in adhering to the Scion philosophy. Please follow this link to read about my buying experience (2 bad & 1 great experience):

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34881

Basically, if you treat us like we're smart enough to have done our research, and most importantly BE HONEST with us, then you can't go wrong with your customer. Ditch the old pressure tactics, because we know what we're getting into when we choose to buy a Scion. When I showed up at the dealership, I knew what options I wanted, I knew what my trade-in value is worth, I had a rough idea of what my financing and monthly payments will be, and I had print-outs of EVERYTHING. The best way to ____ me off is treat me like an idiot by offering a trade-in value $2000 below blue book.

Good luck.