Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   General Tech and DIY (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/general-tech-diy-1821/)
-   -   Debadge / Emblem Removal (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/general-tech-diy-1821/debadge-emblem-removal-7535/)

KillerBandaid 03-11-2005 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by KillerBandaid

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
i used the dental floss method for mine. i waited almost a year before taking them off, so there was a lil discoloration. but i clay barred it, and buffed it with a dark colored swirl remover, and waxed a couple of times with meguires gold class liquid, and it looks beautiful now :wink:

When you say clay buff do you mean compound? Also what is Dark swirl remover? Sorry for the noob questions but I am just getting started into the car thing as a hobby and dont want to hurt the car.

Thanks

??

KillerBandaid 03-11-2005 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by KillerBandaid

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
i used the dental floss method for mine. i waited almost a year before taking them off, so there was a lil discoloration. but i clay barred it, and buffed it with a dark colored swirl remover, and waxed a couple of times with meguires gold class liquid, and it looks beautiful now :wink:

When you say clay buff do you mean compound? Also what is Dark swirl remover? Sorry for the noob questions but I am just getting started into the car thing as a hobby and dont want to hurt the car.

Thanks

L4rry_B1rd 07-05-2005 06:51 PM

I used the fishing line technique. quick and easy. took all of 10 minutes to do and most of that was running the extension cord outside to hook up the blow dryer.

Thanks for this great tech article. wouldn't have had the balls to do it otherwise. :clap:

jaimecosio 07-31-2005 09:47 PM

just like this
https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/XBB091.jpg

Digger 10-06-2005 02:16 PM

A better way that I've found is to use dental floss. I'd be a bit shaky about using the screwdriver method. Start floss on one side and work it back and forth and it'll cut right through the goo. If you do it right there will be very little to clean up afterwards.

foreverandaminute 10-29-2005 05:49 PM

Why stop with the exterior emblems? How do you remove the Scion emblem on the steering wheel? Can you safely remove the Scion lettering on the stock Pioneer headunit without scratching it up? With the tC headunit cover, is there a way to fill in the Scion engraving? How do you remove the Scion emblem on the key (the one with security buttons)?

dmxb 02-15-2006 07:12 AM

theirs a better way
use fishing line and work it up and down across the back of the emblem if done right very little adhesive is left just rub it off with your fingers then clean it with adhesive remover
i did mine in a few seconds with no trouble :D less risk than with a heat gun!! i know its a repost but it works

Rickisan 02-16-2006 01:11 AM

3 feet of 20-lb test fishing line works good. Wrap two or three times around each hand then keeping the line between the emblem and the adhesive, so there is no chance of scuffing the paint, use an up and down side to side motion to "saw" all the way through from one side to the other. The Badge will then be almost ready to fall off the car. Pull and push the last of the adhesive off in to one big ball. Takes about 5mins total. Apply adhesive remover, rinse well with soap and water.

Make sure to save the emblems for reattachment later if you change your mind. Or re-sell them on the Japanese eBay. They may want our xB emblems as bad over there as we want their bB emblems over here... LOL

Big_Pimpin' 03-05-2006 11:09 PM

I just finished my xB...Looks good!! The very first xB I ever saw was debadged, and I had to wait to figure out what kind of car it was. Very interesting when you haven't seen one before.

I used the heat gun with fishing line, worked well. But I had more tape left on the xB than on the scion logo because I did not use the heat gun enough. Once I heated the scion logo, it came right off with the fishing line, and the rest came off with just a rag.

But I forgot to buy wax, so there is my project for next weekend I guess. It still has a lttle dull look where the xB logo was located.

Thanks for the write up!! :bow: :bow:

JollyGreenMidget 04-10-2006 03:57 AM

I used dental floss today to remove the dealer emblem. It took less than a minute and left no marks. Very easy, like everyone said. No need for heat guns or whatnot. My wife thought I was weird for doing it, but I really didn't want "crystal scion" on my box and it got in the way when I waxed. However, I 'll keep my scion and xb mark for now. I told my wife I got the idea of using floss from the forums and she thinks we are all lunatics or idiots or something. I think these forums rock!

Twilliams 05-19-2006 06:41 PM

someone asked about the fromt tC emblem. I was just checking mine out and it has double sided tape holding it on. Just use one of he methods above to remove it. But- it has holes and an indentation where it goes, so it will lokk ghetto if you just take it off. one of the members blacked his out (filled in the scion and painted it black, then a few clear coats) and put it back on. It looks much better than just taking it off. I think he said it took very little time, money, and effort. I'll try to find the link later

El_Jorge 05-19-2006 09:14 PM

Hey guys. I spent the past 10 minutes reading all the how-tos and decided to try it myself. I figured since my car is only a couple weeks old it should'nt be too hard to remove the emblems.
Went outside to my car. The rear of the car has been facing the sun for about an hour.

Just tried to pry the Xb emblem a little with my fingers and it came right off.
Didnt even need adhesive remover.
AWESOME!!
Did the same to the Scion logo and BAM, came right off.

THANKS GUYS.

Supertech 07-08-2006 09:19 PM

Mint flavored not required.

Dental floss did the trick for me. no heat required. a little thumb rub got most of the sticky off. a little WD40 got the rest. Wax it up and it's good to go. looks good. 8o)>

Iride_xB04 07-09-2006 05:17 AM

thanks for the instructions man

mad-sciontist 07-27-2006 03:16 AM

Im gonna be taking off my Scion emblem on the back tomorrow, but leaving the xB, because i got something planned for it..

ladsonxb 08-10-2006 10:54 PM

the hurt

i used 8lbs fishing line , in the 100 degree sc sun, i got the xb off and the dealership one but even in the 100 sun i couldnt get the scion one off , so its the hair dryer next, make sure u use terry cloth, i tryed to use my fingers and got 3rd degree burns on my thumb and index finger!!! i used goo gone too and spray on wax to do it also looks great .

Dr_No 08-17-2006 09:20 PM

Yeah, I did it when it was in the 90's outside. A little back and forth motion with Dental Floss as well as some Goo-gone soaking in for a minute or two -- a bye bye emblems. 20 minutes top. Wife looked at me funny after I did it. Wonders why I spend so much time with the car. If you ask then you will never understand the need to mod.

BradsTRDTC 08-17-2006 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jaimecosio

the guy taking this picture has nO LEGS! :nails: :nails:

midgethearsexb 09-15-2006 07:24 PM

All you need is some fishing or even some floss will work. Heating it up will help, but you don't necessarily need it. Just get a good strong hold on the fishing line and it will cut right through the gunk on the back side of the emblem. That way you don't damage or bend the emblem and you can put it somewhere else, like on the "oven" on the inside of your car like I did.

kevets 09-15-2006 08:38 PM

My emblems are stuck to my computer case at home :)