General Tech and DIY Info for Any Scion

Wheel Tips / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Weight of the wheels

Do you know the weight of the wheels? I bought some 18' wheels and later found out that they weigh 29lbs. each! What are the pros and cons of having heavier wheels? anyone kno'?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they make you slower and stop later
Old 02-26-2006, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member

I found some staggered tires and rims that I like and I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these sizes:

18 X 8.5 X +38
225 X 40 X 18

18 X 9 X +38
235 X 40 X 18

Am I gonna need some wheel spacers to fit these in the wheel well?
Old 02-26-2006, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Probably not, but your tire pressure monitor light will be on...
Old 03-20-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

8.5 and 9" widths? That's wide! Mine are 18x8's. They are flushed and didn't require shims. Not sure what the offset is on mine though, because I bought them from a friend.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member

is 48 mm offset that big of a difference and if so will it effect my tire stock tires fitting the new wheels?
Old 05-04-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

What a great write up!! I am posting on this to give props and so I can easily find it when I go for new wheels/tires.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will a 17x8 offset 47 be okay?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey kaeon,

i know it's kinda out of the topic but iwas just wondering, i have the enkei evo5 on my car... its painted gunmetal... and here is the sad part, i leave at las vegas which is know for it's growing communiities and most importantly it's vast deserts... the problem is that my rims's paint is chipping off because of the rocks, small stones, and dust particles that are blown to it... just wondering if you know how much would it cost to paint all four and does powdercoat get affected by those rocks too? and would it be a good idea if i just retouch it and let a professional painter do a clear coat on it... thanks for your help in advance... likin' the turbo set up btw. what brand is ur fmic? thanks again...
Old 06-29-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FMtC_krstnmj™?,

You could go both ways. You can have them cleared witch will protect them more but will add alot more gloss to them. Powder coat is normally 6 times thicker then most paints so for every one layer of powder is equal to around 6 coats of normal paint... So its alot stonger then paint. Power should run $70 to $120 each wheel depending on the size.

BTW, My FMIC is from ebay its made by Turbo Workz
Old 10-03-2006, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i've read that whole 1010tires website about 1010 times and i'm still confused about the offset stuff. I'm sittin on s-techs and i would like to go to a 17x7.5 but i'm not sure what offset to go with. This stuff really doesn't click with me. A list of sizes and offsets that would leave the wheel close to the stock position would be awesome.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice write up. im still a lil confused with the offset part.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME START MY TIRE RESEARCH...! it really helps to have an overall picture like this.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Kaeon's Wheel Tips

Originally Posted by Kaeon
How do you find a decent wheel and tire package? Many of us ask this question when it comes time to getting some new shoes, and some of us find it hard to get the answers we need. I find it a lot easier to use a Tire Size Calculator and an offset calculator. To guide you in buying the right wheel tire combo. But there a few things we should know about before doing this.

Offset, The offset of a wheel is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel to the centerline of the rim. Positive offset means the mounting surface of the wheel is positioned in front of the centerline of the rim/tire assembly. This in effect brings the tire in to the fender well more. A negative offset means the mounting surface of the wheel is behind the centerline of the rim/tire assembly. This will cause the tire to stick out away from the vehicle.

Camber, Camber is the angle of the wheel viewed from the front or the rear of the car. If the wheel leans in towards the chassis, it has negative camber; if it leans away from the car, it has positive camber. The cornering force that a tire can develop is dependent on its angle relative to the road, and so wheel camber has a major effect on the road holding of a car.

Toe, When a pair of wheels is set so that their leading edges are pointed towards each other, the wheel pair is said to have toe-in. If the leading edges point away from each other, the pair is said to have toe-out. Toe settings affect three major areas of performance: tire wear, straight-line stability and corner entry handling characteristics.

What Offset?
On my journey to find the right wheels and tires I stumbled along a site called 1010tires.com they have a wheel offset calculator and also a tire calculator. Hey I should give this a try!

With a basic idea of what I wanted in a rim I ran some different combinations of sizes. I ran a calculation on the specs from a certain wheel I’ve been eyeing for a while now The 18” Royal Black Rota Subzero’s my search came back that these wheels would extend 3mm from stock and my inner clearance would be decreased by 9mm.

Thinking this was pretty good I moved on, and ordered a set of the subzero’s. The wheels arrived promptly (Thanks Kim for the fast shipping!). Rota sent me 4 18" Subzeros with 4 CF look center caps. They also included a free hat and various decals. The wheels arrived in what looked to be perfect shape minus one of the plastic center caps that got damaged during shipping. This was easily fixed with some 3m tape.

I test fitted the wheels to see how well they worked. With the wheels looking pretty good in the fitment area its time to get me some tires and lug nuts.
*No I don't have the rims sitting on the ground*

Tire Size?

From here I went on the tire size calculator did some various tire sizes and came back with this a 225/40R18 Tire would yield these results.

The overall diameter would increase by 0.47in
The sidewall height would decrease by 0.26in
The radius would increase by 0.24in
The circumference would increase by 1.48in
The revs per mile would decrease by 15.8
Your Speedo would be 1.9% slower witch comes out to be 1.2mph

Witch isn’t to bad at all. With this information I move on. But wait what does that tire size mean? well the 225 is the width of the tire in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall. The 40 is the aspect ratio to the rim, IE: 225/60/18 would be a higher "beefy" tire. 225/25/18 would be more like rubber bands and the 18 is the rim size.

Tire Brand? Style?
Now time to pick a Brand and Style of tire. I’ve been looking at some BFG, Falken’s, Nitto's, Kumho's, and Hankooks. I have narrowed down to around three different tires.

My First choice was a BFG T/A Drag Radial.
My Second was a Nitto NeoGen Street Tire.
My Third and final choice was the BFG g-Force T/A KDW NT Performance Tire

What Did I end up picking?

I went with my third choice a BFG g-Force T/A KDW NT Performance Tire. It ran me around $588 for all 4 18" tires from www.tires.com.

Lug Nuts
Many of you may say hey lug nuts are lug nuts and any old AutoZone lugs will do! This is not the case! There are many different Styles and Sizes of lug nuts out there and picking the right is a pretty important step. I researched my rim to find out that Rota's require a semi-unique type of lug nut.

Most lugs have a rounded seat and some have seat angles that are not the same as the rota wheel which means a smaller contact point.

I needed lugs that have the same taper as the wheel, which means larger contact point.

As I searched on and found a company called subydude.com

They had just what I was looking for! Lug Nuts for Rota Wheels! With that information I got a set of Chrome Spline Drive Lug nuts.

Putting Them On
With the new rubber and the lug nuts its time to get these babies mounted and balanced! I took the rims and tires to Trick Pro. It ran me around $60 to mount and balance.

I chose to put the rims on the car myself because I’m very **** about who touches my car! Back to the shop we go aka the driveway!

I remove the stock wheels and tires. And begin to place the new shoes on.

After getting all 4 sides on I stand back and take a look at these killer wheels , Job well done id say!

Im ready to climb rocks!!

Yeh love this sticker..

Review:
The rims, As Rota does a good job at making decent wheels at a discounted price I wouldn’t suggest these wheels to use for auto crossing. For someone looking for a nice clean look without the price tag these are for you. Rota has a line up of various lightweight wheels. I think these weigh in around Nineteen pounds a rim for the 18's witch is pretty close to the stock 17's Twenty pounds. Rota does offer other rims such as the Slip Streams.

Slip Streams (very popular in the Honda scene) witch weigh in around Thirteen pounds for a 16" rim. Is a very good choice if you are looking for a clean looking lightweight wheel.

I was originally going to do an Flat Black Subzero but am glad they were out of stock. The Royal Black fits the car very well and keeps it classy.

Special Thanks!
I would like to take this time to give a special thanks to the people who helped me get this article going!

Kim Bong http://www.rotawheels.com & http://www.rotawheel.com (US Site)
Zoeb http://www.subydude.com

GREAT but what did you do about your tire pressure sensors and how to avoid that annoying warning light that comes on to many peeps that change out tc tire/rims
please help
Old 12-18-2007, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys just quick question is this specs will fit on my tC with no problem...

old set-up: 18x8 +40 offset 5x100

new set-up: 18 x 8.5 +48 5x100 what you think?? thanxz for the help! (thinkin some new wheels)
Old 12-20-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

any suggestions for places to get rims shipped?
Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool thanks!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice man
Old 03-08-2009, 02:15 PM
SL Member

well done Thanks lots of help
Old 06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by psycosoldier
GREAT but what did you do about your tire pressure sensors and how to avoid that annoying warning light that comes on to many peeps that change out tc tire/rims
please help
WIsh someone answered this
anyway, nice job!

Quick Reply: Wheel Tips / FAQ