Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

*UPDATE* Help My A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default *UPDATE* Help My A/C

When I got back home from my road trip and turned off the car I saw some smoke coming out of my engine bay and so I thought my car was overheating. I went to turn on the ignition and saw that the temp was fine. I opened up the hood I saw what look to be an oily clear substance to the right side of the engine bay down in the area where the header goes down. It smelled like freon and I heard a hissing noise like it was leaking. Surely enough my A/C was not cold no more after that. You guys think this is covered under warranty? Damn what sucks is the dealership is like 3 hrs away. Damnit to hell.

*Update*
I went to the dealership where I bought my car and they quoted me 779.38 for parts only. Parts + labor = 937.50 They told me to call my insurance it will probably be covered under my comprehensive which is still 500 bucks and I already had a claim earlier on in the year. So I told them I'll think about it and took my car home. I took apart my bumper/condenser took me about 15 minutes. Looked at the condenser and the hole look mediocre. So I took it to a local radiator repair shop and they told me they can fix it . Left it there overnight and picked it up next day. Payed the 45 bucks. Went to Walmart purchased me 2 cans of freon 18 bucks and one can of pag 46 oil 4 bucks. Total = $67. Went home put everything back together and then called a buddy up with a vacuum and pump. He came over next day and did it. Everything is blowing cold so far and no leaks present. I'm happy. Saved me a bunch of money. Now to buy some grilles so this wont happen again.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i has to be covered underwarrenty
Old 05-14-2005, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what he said, definitely.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well while going through the other post about some guy with an xA having problems with his a/c and tech told him that a rock had punctured the condensor. I went to go look at my condensor I saw some fins bent from the front.. I hope I don't have a cracked condensor like he did from a rock.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont have any dealers near you? you dont HAVE to go to the dealer you bought it from...
Old 05-17-2005, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went to another dealership and they gave me some bad news. They told me a rock had punctured my condenser. That freaking sucks. Brand new car and I already have to put money out to fix it. CHEAP. The fins that were bent looks like any bent fin that you would see on a condenser like those window unit air conditioners for the house looks like minor damage. Can't believe it penetrated the condenser. I suggest everyone go put grills on their lower portion of the tC bumper. The dealership estimated me 1200 to fix. OUCH.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

update.