Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

05 xB Door rattles...Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 05 xB Door rattles...Help!!!

Just bought my Black Sand Pearl 05 xB back on june 9th. love it. I had it tinted dark and put on 18" Motegi RT 5 chrome wheels W/ 215-35-18 Goodyears. one nagging problem though. I have rattles in both front doors near the door lock. it stops when I push on the door panel in that general area. Not real bad but is noticeable when not running the A/C and/or having the radio on. The dealer wanted it for 1/2 a day to look at it so I decided to have a look myself. After pulling off the right door panel and strategically adding some foam tape and padding it still does it. any ideas.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-16-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CAPSLOCK

Read the rules.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same problem in my 05 purchased last Nov. Been to the dealer twice with no results. I guess I have gotten used to it but it is still there off and on.

Walt
Old 07-26-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: 05 XB DOOR RATTLES....HELP!!!

Originally Posted by blackazxb
Just bought my black sand pearl 05 XB back on june 9th. love it. I had it tinted dark and put on 18" Motegi RT 5 chrome wheels W/ 215-35-18 Goodyears. one nagging problem though. I have rattles in both front doors near the door lock. it stops when I push on the door panel in that general area. Not real bad but is noticeable when not running the a/c and/or having the radio on. The dealer wanted it for 1/2 a day to look at it so I decied to have a look myself. After pulling off the right door panel and strategically adding some foam tape and padding it still does it. any ideas.
better w/o caps???????????
Old 07-26-2005, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Much!!

OK, first off, take it to the dealer. Hopefully they will be
better then the one Newtmaker went to. I find service quality
varies GREATLY from dealership to dealership.

You mentioned you've had tint done. Did your tint guy open
your doors/remove your glass at all? If so, maybe it's his
fault.

Did you have any speaker upgrades? Could be a shoddy
install there too.

If not those things, then for sure, don't hesitate to take it into
the dealer, that's what they are there for!

Having looked in my door, I see lots of foam around stuff that
could rattle. Maybe some got baked off in the AZ heat?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I had an appointment to take it to the dealer but they wanted it at least 1/2 a day like I said which is too much time wasted waiting. no upgrade on speakers and the tint guy did not take anything off besides it rattles before the tint was done. my history with dealers trying to track down rattles is not good. I am figuring that with the low profile of my tires and the bad roads here in AZ that I am fighting a losing battle. This particular rattle is just annoying me so much I really want to figure it out.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, I have noticed this as well in my 05 camo box. When i lock the doors while driving the rattle is subdued. Did I spell that right? Anyway, give it a try.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are out to silence it yourself, I think you just need to
dive in there and take a look!

Probably drive around with the door panels off, maybe pick
up some electrical tape and foam backed tape and hit different
parts as you drive around with the inner skins off and see
if you can narrow it down.

Many of those rods already have foam tape on them, I bet
you just need to tag a piece with some more to silence it!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well I have done that to a degree. I drove around with the right panel off and had my wife try to press on different areas. I put foam tape on the a few spots and it seemed to help but then it just came back. The rattle was there with the panel off so I am fairly confident it isn't in the door panel itself. I even removed part of the vapor shield and checked for anything loose inside the door. I am going to coat the doors with dynamat or b-quite ultimate eventually and that should help. I know my last car, a 2003 Hyundai Tiuburon GT had a very stiff suspension and low profile tire and it had quite a few rattles. I wonder if it realistic for myself and other consumers to expect no rattles in a vehilce no matter the driving surface? Any opinions?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member

The same damn thing happens in mine, Its a 05 got it at the end of Dec last year. I believe it has alot to do with the low pros.. Now my glove box is starting to rattle as well. I think the only solution is to dyno mat the whole damn car. This of course is going to be expensive. But the rattles drive me crazy
Old 07-26-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

jgall, I think you are right. I don't have a benchmark on noise or rattles on mine because I got my wheels & tire the day after I got my XB. I know however that without having the extra cushion of taller tires there has to be some effect.

We shouldn't feel too bad though; I have found many forums on the net where people complain about rattles in everything from Mercedes to Acura. High end cars that you would not expect to have rattles etc. If I had blown 80g's on a mercedes and had rattles I would go insane
Old 07-26-2005, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member

Good point
Old 07-26-2005, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member

Default Rattle in front door panels.

I wish i could say i don,t have rattling door panels but i do on my 05 x5.
i work for mercedes benz as a tech. and they have the same problem with
rattles and yes the price from a benz and a xb is a way big jump.but the
main thing is the material of things {plastic} even benz is using a lot
of plastic. i am going to tri and fix mine when i upgrade speakers i don't
whant to take of panels to many time or i will creat more rattle noise
p.s i have factory size steel wheels ,it's not the low profile tires.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i know with my 05 the door lock pulls rattle at all times.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem on my 2001 Volvo S60. New it cost about twice what my new Xb does, and even at a mid-30s price, it rattled the first year or so. Glove box, rear C pillar, child seat latch, door lock (like on the Xb). Anything plastic is game for this annoyance!

Volvo did take my glove box apart and re-mounted it. That eliminated 99% of that problem. It seems that in colder temps, the plastic housing on almost anything in the car is susceptible.

We're noticing it in the rear window area of our '04 Prius. Comes and goes but it's always irritating, esp if you don't have the stereo cranked up. In the Prius it doesn't sound so good loud. New speakers and bigger amp in 2006 for that!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

All of this talk inspired me to take one more look last night. I pulled the right door panel off, peeled back about 1/2 of the vapor barrier and rolled the window down about half way to expose the window mounts and mechanism. I drove aroun for about 15 minutes and depending on the road surface I got the rattle. As I poked and prodded around, the main spot that had an affect on the rattle was the bar that the window sets on. When I pressed it it seemed to stop the rattle. The only problem was that the rattle wasn't as bad with the window down. Now the weird part was that on my way to work this morning it rattled pretty consistently and when I pressed on the door panel by the door lock in the upper right corner it stopped. Maybe it is the door lock pulls as mentioned above. I don't get it. Maybe a toyota tech out there can help us out. I guess I'll mention it at my first oil change.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
i know with my 05 the door lock pulls rattle at all times.
yep. The passenger side more prominent then the drivers side in my case. When I lock the doors as I mentioned above the rattle pretty much goes away.

I do have the rattle that blackazxb has mentioned on my drivers side door. When pressure is applied to the area he mentioned it goes away, but I am at the point now where its not even worth my time to keep going to the dealer. They really think I am crazy with the whole rattle thing and they never come through with a proper fix. So I am forced to come to terms with the rattle box, but thats cool. When winter comes and everything is aplified by the cold I might be singing a different tune. I guess if I had the know how I would try to find a solution myself, but I would be worried that by taking things apart and not putting back to gether properly it would cause other rattles/problems etc...

meh, whatever.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

moved