Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

For all the DYI people, what's in your toolbox?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default For all the DYI people, what's in your toolbox?

I was just wondering what were the essential tools that everyone has in their toolbox? I was looking to invest in some Craftsman and just needed an idea of what are the most commonly used/handy for DYI installs. What else besides the common sense items? (Torque Wrench, Screwdrivers, Pliers, Socket Wrench, Wrenches, Gloves, Protective Eyewear, etc.) Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, there are just so many different types of tools avaliable in every shape and size. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A multimeter if you're doing some electrical installs or diagnostics would be helpful.

Best thing to do is look at all the things you're likely to replace and ask yourself "Would a normal xyz fit in there?"

There's been times when I've gone out to buy special curved wrenches because a straight one or a socket wrench would not fit in there.

Another good thing is a good pair of mechanics gloves, there's nothing like getting your hands filthy and cut up like when you're shoving them into an engine compartment.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:37 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

In addition to the previously mentioned items, I use the following regularly:

Wire strippers and crimper, wire cutters, electrical tape, sharpie marker, tape measure, rubber mallet, drill bits, zip ties, magnetic pickup, soldering iron.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Dremel w/ attachments and bits, craftman's toolset, touch up paint, drill set, power drill
Old 10-21-2005, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If you don't have them already, invest in a good floor jack and jack stands.
When you are getting screwdrivers don't forget the nubby ones. There are a lot of tight areas where they come in very handy.

Don't go cheap on your drill. This is one of the most commonly used power tools and you don't want it crapping out on you in the middle of a job or not having enough power to do what you need. I use a Dewalt XRP 14.4V Cordless for most things. For the jobs it can't handle, which I haven't found any yet, I have a Sears industrial drill that doesn't stop for anything.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Some of these are repeats:
    Old 10-21-2005, 03:30 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member
    Premium Member

I have two tool boxes. One is one of those $150 AmPro mechanic sets.

My other tool box has mostly Craftsman tools. I have a metric set of box wrenches, as well as a socket set...which some misc sockets (19, 22..etc). Also in that tool box are misc bolts, washers, wires, heatshrink, zip ties, Fluke multimeter, tape measure, hammer, screw drivers, and other misc tools. I also have a digital Dremel rotory tool, 2 jacks, 2 jackstands, and a "cheat" pipe.
    Old 10-21-2005, 04:00 PM
    Max
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member

SL Member

I forgot clamps. Grease. Hand cleaner.
    Old 10-21-2005, 04:20 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

dremel, power tools of various kinds.....who knows how many sockets and such. alot of electrical related tools, and things i dont want my wife to find.......
    Old 10-21-2005, 07:32 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    Scikotics
    SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
    .....and things i dont want my wife to find.......

How do you fit strippers in a toolbox?

(NO... not wire strippers)
    Old 10-21-2005, 09:02 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member

Thanks for all the great replies. Time to start putting a nice toolbox together.
    Old 10-22-2005, 06:13 AM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

a good handheld shoplight that won't break when dropped (LED seems to do the trick)
    also, i don't think anyone mentioned a torque wrench, pricey, but almost always needed.
    Old 10-22-2005, 01:54 PM
    10 Year Member

5 Year Member
    Fail, INC
    Club One

SL Member

most the above plus...TUMS
    Old 10-22-2005, 04:42 PM
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

10 years ago, in addition to the stuff already mentioned, I would have said duct tape, today thought I will say a tube of RTV silicone sealer. It comes in several colors, clear, black, blue, and a couple of metalics even though they're designed as high temp gasket stuff.

I have used this stuff to fix a ton of stuff. It has all but completely replaced the tape in my toolbox.

Used it to glue a key back onto the kids keyboard(works good because it's flexible) Glued legs back on Buzz Lighyear action figures. Rebuilt the rubber weatherstripping above the doors on my old Jetta (just gooped the heck out of it, covered it with wax paper, closed the door and let it dry, removed wax paper and good to go). When I worked for a trucking company we used it many times to temporarily patch cracked axle housings and engine blocks (just to get back to the shop but it did work). It also works when replacing emblems and rearview mirrors to windshields(better than the real mirror stuff by far).

I have yet to try fixing a leaking tire but one of these days I probably will.
    Old 10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member

Scikotics
    SL Member

Here are my essentials:

Mechanix Gloves - I love these things. Good grip, don't have to worry about burning your hands or tearing up your knuckles. It also keeps your hands cleaner in case you have a hot date later on.

Needle Nose Pliers - Great for grabbing nuts and bolts you accidentaly drop and getting into all those hard to reach places. Also good for holding nuts and/or washers
    while trying to start bolts

JB Weld - Haven't used it on my car, but still very good to have around. This stuff is, dare I say, better than duck tape.

Dremel Tool - I don't have one yet, but it is on my list of things to buy. I have used them several times and are great for thousands of different jobs.

A Good Toolbox - It is important to have all of your tools organized and together. I don't have my own garage yet, so my tools have to be mobile. My parents got me a Craftsman toolbox for my birthday. It has 3 drawers that are locked when the top is closed. I bought some foam drawer liner and it works great. I have one drawer for metric wrenches, one for standard wrenches, and one for sockets and screwdrivers. The rest of my "collection" goes in the top hinged area.

Test Light - If you don't have the money for a multimeter, these can be very useful. Good for finding shorts in wires.

Good Service Manual - I have bought service/shop manuals for every vehicle I have owned. I haven't got one for my tC yet because 1) can't find a good one that is out yet and reasonably priced; and 2) my car is still under warrenty. However, they are priceless for the DIY mechanic.

Zip Ties - One of the greatest inventions ever. These have thousands of uses. I try to keep a couple in my glove box "just in case". Great for securing loose wires or for temporary fixes.

WD-40 - I keep a small can in my toolbox for those annoying squeaks and for freeing old bolts. If you can't get a nut off a bolt, soak the nut in WD-40 and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. If it still won't come off, repeat the process until it does. Works like a charm.

Extendable Magnet - Don't know the exact name of this thing. It is like a extendable antenna with a strong magnet on the end. I used my dad's all the time when I lived at home. You just extend it out and use it to pick stuff up off the floor, out from under the car, inside the engine compartment, etc. A great tool for retrieving those dropped nuts or washers.

Trouble Light - I got one of the fluorescent trouble lights. This is great for when you are under the car looking for a particular wire or bolt. I keep it in my car along with a cigarette adapter power converter just in case something happens while I am driving at night, I won't be "left in the dark."

These are just a few of the little things that should be in your toolbox. Every time you think you have everything, you find another essential that will make life easier. A good, well filled toolbox is a blessing and a curse/addiction. Good luck.
    Old 10-25-2005, 04:36 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

If you are anything like me, you'll end up working late into the night. So one of those portable shop lights is essential. Get a florescent kind, preferably with two florescent lamps on separate switches, and if you can get one with a magnet on it as well as a hook, makes it great to just stick it to a sheet metal part under the car/in the engine compartment/etc to free up both hands to work. Craftsman makes a nice one, even has an extra outlet in the handle to plug in other tools:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=03483893000

Stay away from the cheaper shop lights that use regular incandescent bulbs, even with the "shop" specific bulbs, first time you drop it that filament will break, not to mention you don't want that kinda heat around oil, gas, etc. This should be one of your first items to get, if you can't see, you cant work!
    Old 10-25-2005, 05:04 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member

SL Member
    Scion Evolution

Dremel Rulez! One of the few tools I've found that instead of saying "I need it for xx job" it's more like. "What else could I do with this". You've been warned!

The only other tools you need are WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the tape.

(My apologies to whomever's signature i stole that from...)
    Old 10-27-2005, 03:56 AM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Here is a brief list of what I have...
    Matco 1/2 impact gun
    Craftsman 3/8 and 1/4 air ratchet
    Unknown air hammer
    Matco die grinder(Dremmel on Steroids)

1/4, 3/8, 1/2 sockets pretty much all meteric and regular sizes
    Wrenches of all sorts...
    Snap On screw driver set (There *IS* a difference)
    Snap On pick set
    Snap On 3/8 ratchet with flex head(cant live without)
    Snap On pry bars
    Snap On dead blow hammers
    Snap On long reach needle nose, precision needle nose, bent needle nose
    Matco brake piston pusher
    Various telescoping magnets and mirrors, magnetic parts trays, etc.
    Snap On 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches

Plus air compressor, welder, drill press, bench grinder, etc, etc.
    Sure, Snap On and Matco are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Plus, you only have to buy the tool once and it will last a lifetime. Sears makes decent tools, but they don't have the selection that Snap On has. I use Harbor Frieght tools when I go to the junk yard and I keep some in my car... if they get lost or stolen I'm only out a few bucks.

GL! Have fun buying them. If you can track down a Snap On truck, its worth it to flag him down and take a peek in the truck. Get yourself a catalouge and start looking. The service I get from Snap On is top notch. A little bit better than the pimply faced kid at Sears...
    Old 10-27-2005, 04:01 AM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20t...G%20TOOLS.html

There is a good link on buying tools... mainly for a AE86, but same principals apply.
    Old 10-29-2005, 02:50 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

RATCHETING wrenches...best tools in my tool box.

Quick Reply: For all the DYI people, what's in your toolbox?