Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Anyone got a line on a "engine pre oiler"

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone got a line on a "engine pre oiler"

I have a customer interested in installing a pre-oiler on his xA to increase the engines life. I have heard of these for V-8's and I think it would be a great thing to add. Is there anyone out there with information on these?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2004, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd doubt that it would help the engine.. i've seen this on farm equipment.. i doubt that if he screws up his engine toyota is going to be nice and help him repair his engine.. you're a dealer and you actually want to suggest this to a customer? definitely do some research..
Old 08-29-2004, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
i'd doubt that it would help the engine.. i've seen this on farm equipment.. i doubt that if he screws up his engine toyota is going to be nice and help him repair his engine.. you're a dealer and you actually want to suggest this to a customer? come on.. take an engineering class..
We keep running into each other :oops:. If this is what im thinking it is I could see a use on any car. Its a little device that holds a set amount of oil under pressure right? When you turn on the car it sends this oil onto the rocker arms & stuff so you dont get a dry start right? Is this the thing im thinking of? I could see the added saftey but most toyota engines last for 200k+ so what is the point of wasting the money? I would get a oil cooler & a trans cooler. That would help more then this IMO.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey chuck.. you're like my nemisis.. lol j/k
naw that's what's cool about these forums.. different views..
Old 08-29-2004, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey chuck.. you're like my nemisis.. lol j/k
naw that's what's cool about these forums.. different views..
Yeah. So is what I talked about the same thing he was asking about? I heard of something like I talked about just that I never cought the name when they installed one on HP TV.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i think that is basically what they are talking about.. and i was thinking if it wasn't done right, it could mess up stuff.. i agree that an oil cooler would be more beneficial..
Old 08-29-2004, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i think that is basically what they are talking about.. and i was thinking if it wasn't done right, it could mess up stuff.. i agree that an oil cooler would be more beneficial..
Yeah, ok. I could see how it would do harm. Run a line to close to a moving part or something . Another cooler that might help a little is a gas cooler. Would only do good in hot areas & might be bad in cold weather. To many things you can put on a engine that could help it out but just need to see if the good out weighs the bad.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hehe

I don't want to get gathering information for a customer and recommending anything confused.... we are both simply curious and I offered to do the research.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: hehe

Originally Posted by nwscionman
I don't want to get gathering information for a customer and recommending anything confused.... we are both simply curious and I offered to do the research.
http://www.streetortrack.com/preoilerunits.asp
Might want to look into that site. They have one that is for 4 cylinders.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Muchos grassy ___!!

Thats exactly the info I was hoping for! If he decides to get one..I will try to post some pics. I doubt we will be installing it for him though.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Why not just use the stock Toyota oil filter with its anti-drainback valve? Dry starts would never be an issue and you could save money by not buying the Rube Goldberg contraptions that may cause problems.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I mentioned that to him...he was still interested in finding more info on these things....
Old 08-29-2004, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the way no Scions even have rocker arms. The cam lobes directly contact "cups" which sit on top of the valve spring to press down the valves.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Back In Black xA
By the way no Scions even have rocker arms. The cam lobes directly contact "cups" which sit on top of the valve spring to press down the valves.
Then I guess this would just spray the oil onto the valve springs & cam lobes, or thats what I would guess in this case.

Originally Posted by nwscionman
Muchos grassy ___!!
Is that really how that is spelt?
Old 08-29-2004, 06:27 AM

So what is your take on the pre-oiler? Personally, I think this would only work if your car was in the snow/desert 24-7

Old 08-29-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seems the trouble would only be worth it if it like DOUBLED your engines life. I have heard some noise somewhere about how 70% of an engines wear occurs during start up. I fear that information came from a infomercial for Duralube or from an Amzoil sales rep.... side note....anyone else find the similarities between the Amzoil and the Amway people....?!?! :?
Old 08-29-2004, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
So what is your take on the pre-oiler? Personally, I think this would only work if your car was in the snow/desert 24-7
I think it would be better in snow. Why? When its cold the oil is much thicker and has a harder time coating parts. It would be something I would only invest in if you are going to keep the car until the wheels fall off. Even then seeing how toyota engines are the engine would still be good. So let the race car guys & those with big push rod engines that have a lot more friction spend the cash.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I know that when you put in a brand new engine you take out the EFI fuse and crank the engine over so it gets oil pressure and squirts on all the cams and everything. Than you can put it back in and run it. And that is when and engine is dry. Engine oil coats over most everything it touches and will stay there in some form for a long time. Anything less than a completely dry drivetrain with metal to metal contact is not going to have any problems. I mean how many times have you ever heard a car breaking down because its camshafts wore out something, none that I ever have, Toyotas at least.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Engines all benifit from preoiling before start up. Cams are only part of the problem, your piston skirts/rings are nearly dry after sitting overnight. Main and rod bearings need oil too. MFGs accept the extra wear on start up as the cost of doing business, litterlaly... preoil systems cost $$$ and most people don't know how to use them anyway so they don't bother with them.

The filter oil drain back valve-all filters have them in some form, not just the Toyota filter- just keeps the oil filter full so the pump can supply pressure slightly faster, it does NOT keep oil in the oil passageways, in the bearings or on any wear surfaces.

Accusump has good products, their accumulators are often used on roadrace cars to ensure a constant supply of oil during hard cornering when the pump pickup may become uncovered.

ken