Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Anyone know what this means?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone know what this means?

Ok, long story short. I've had a problem with my Xb since shortly after I bought it. When stopped I have an obnoxious knocking which I believe is coming from the transmission (automatic). I have researched and read a number of other threads on the board related to this. Some speculate that the noise is somehow related to the torque converter. I haven't taken it in to the dealer because I have an intake and aftermarket exhaust installed and I'm afraid they're going to say that I've voided the warranty. I was hoping to find a fix for it myself (doesn't look like thats going to happen) So now the noise is growing louder and more annoying with the colder weather. I just read through the tsb's and found one related to a torque converter problem common with Xb's, but I'm not sure what some of the terminology means, and I'm not sure if it applies to my problem. Here's the tsb:

Some 2004 model year Scion xA and Scion xB vehicles with an automatic
transmission may exhibit a M.I.L. “ON” condition with DTC P0741 (Torque Converter
Clutch Solenoid Performance) stored. Inspect and if applicable, follow the repair
procedure in this bulletin.

Does anyone know what "M.I.L. on" means? Is this an error light or code? Has anyone had a similar problem to mine? Thanks.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I experience vibrating when I am near or at a stop. It is very aggravating because it is fairly loud and noticeable to everyone in the car and probably everyone near the outside of the car. I'm wondering if we are experiencing the same problem? I also have an automatic. Let me know if you get any more info on this issue. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2005, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i suggest you go to the dealer asap i am a toyota technician
(i or any co workers have not seen this probelm) but it sounds like they need to look at the car as far as your mods
go those wont affect your warr i work on lots of cars with all
kinds of mods dont worry if you get an _______ tech or service writer who says your warr is void just politely smile and call scion cust service then they will have their say with the dealer M.I.L means malfunction indiator light or "check engine" light the T.S.B (technicial service bulletin) has to do
with an electronic solinoid in the trans valve body this is not the likely cause of your problem ... look just take it in they wont rip off your head if you have any problems with them pm mei will tell you were to start
Old 01-18-2005, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pdrizzle i may have had your problem try haveing your hood
adjusted but if your car is still under warr let them fit it
anyway thats how i got rid of my noise yours may be differnt

can you guys make a section for problems & known fixes ??this
may be a good resource for other sl members and techs just an idea
Old 01-18-2005, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I'll make an apointment. I've been living with it for a while now but it is definately getting louder so I guess it's time to bite the bullet.

pdrizzle: Chances are, it is the same problem. I've read a number of other posts with people who have the exact symptoms, but nobody has ever posted a solution! Mine was actually quiet all summer but has come back with the cold weather. I'll post and let everybody know what the dealer says. -Sam
Old 01-18-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

As said by hotbox05 in this thread, MIL is "malfunction indicator lamp."

edit: I am slow.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

thanx for referrencing me lol . i feel sorta special. sorta . take the car in and if they even give u any lip at all about warranty walk out and give scion a call. if they give you crap (which no way in hell should they) call up a laywer , moss v. magnussen