Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Anyone use synthetic???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by thescone
more info:

Let's break down the details of synthetics, and what makes them better. One definition of "synthetic" is big molecules built up from small ones. Like genetic engineers, the oil companies figured they could improve the performance of engine oil and eliminate some of the shortcomings in the laboratory.

In the simplest terms, the base stock of synthetics, polyalphaolefin (PAO) starts as ethylene gas, a simple two-carbon molecule that is built up to a 10-carbon molecule. Three of these super molecules are combined to form PAO, a base stock that offers a number of advantages over Mother Nature's version. Synthetics are more stable, flow at lower temperatures, are more resistant to boiling off, and less susceptible to oxidation, which causes thickening with prolonged high temperatures.

The inherent element with crude stock for motor oil is the molecular construction. Conventional motor oil is a batch of short-chain and long-chair carbon and hydrogen atoms. In extreme heat, the short chains can evaporate and these unstable molecules oxidize and break down. In addition, contaminants and reactive and/or unstable hydrocarbons can sneak through the refining process.

from: http://www.advanceautoparts.com/engl...0050201so.html
Great info!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:55 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
I just changed to Mobil1 yesterday at 1005 miles and I have to say that it pulls a little harder in mid to upper RPMs. It really smoothed out the engine at upper RPMs too. I was shocked to see how much of a difference it made.
yeah.. i'm bringing this thread back up from the dead.. but i want to speak my thoughts on synthetics as well since i made the changeover.

what erik said is pretty much holds true for me.. my car seems to run alot smoother and maybe even quieter..

it is as if my car is screaming at me to push it even harder... it's tough to resist.

also... i changed my tranny to Redline MT-90... that was also a noticable improvement.. shifts into gears much smoother.

all-in-all... synthetic is the way to go.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK ...let me add some fuel to the fire.

Why I dont use syn: The synthetic base stock does hold up longer than petroleum-based oils, but the additives in both wear out at the same rate. The oil companies have tested their synthetics for longevity, but they still recommend following the specific owners manual for oil change intervals. If you still need to change out every 3500-4K miles, while put in oil that is 5 times as expensive? Even dino oil is still very much "active" after 4K.

Another reason I am not a fan of syns is because people tend to leave them in longer than 5K. Regardless of oil type or filter, the oil still holds onto harmful acids that result from combustion. A filter will not get the acids out of the oil. These acids (and other nasties) are held in suspension in the engine oil, and the only way to get rid of them is to change your oil.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mobil 1 is the way to go...always. and if you mod the engine, even better with Mobil 1
We use it in all our cars, like some one above mentioned, I will never go back to regular oil.

We just finished testing an engine head on a block going up to Windermere in the Orlando area of Florida. The Short block is a regular xA short block (like the one in Windermere will be) and the temp was slightly higher due to a few reasons (the head is shaved a little ) before finding out that there were air bubbles in the radiator we changed the oil from Regular to Mobil 1 and the temp drop was substantial. After that we included that in the list of recomendations going to our friend in Windermere who is building a nice (street) engine for a Scion xA
Old 06-13-2006, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Switched to Mobil 1 full synth at 3k miles. I went with the extended life version, your suposed to change it only every 15k miles. I think im going to do it at every 10k, just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Anyone use synthetic???

Originally Posted by yokillr
If so, when did you start?
What you use? Mobile 1 i hear is good poop.

I am thinking about changing when i hit 9k.

Share the knowledge!
Please don't wait till 9K. I've always done the first oil change at 1K just to get the break-in residue out. If you plan on keeping it a long time this is a great time to switch over to Mobil 1 also. After that change it every 5K and you are good to go.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yes, the "wait till it breaks in to change to synthetic" is a myth. You can change to synth anytime and switch back and forth as much as you like without hurting anything. The only time I have ever heard of issues with synth (and they were possible relation to leaks) was on some porches.. which are plagued by crappy oil seals in the case to begin with, so leaks are hard to avoid anyway. So the ones I heard of could not really make any correllation to the swithc to synth anyway.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Anyone know of a good place to buy the synthetic motor oil (mobil1) and also for the filter (M1-103)?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:59 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

mobil 1... hmm.. wal-mart!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah.. you can get it just about anywhere for pretty much the same price. This is true for any of the common brands.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Swapping from regular oil to synthetic is really as simple as a regular oil change? Just take out the dino oil and filter, put in the synthetic oil and filter and that's it? Is there something involved in switching to synthetic?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

nope ...just that easy.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Awesome! Thanks!

Anybody know the size of the oil drain plug that we use?

10 x 1.25
or
12 x 1.25
Old 06-21-2006, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now how about filters? I was looking at the K&N Air Filter, K&N Gold Oil filter and switching to Mobile 1 Synth... I'm at 33k and i'm a total n00b when it comes to this but I'm leaving for a 800 mile drive back to Washington and would like to change over before I take off.

Thx!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Now how about filters? I was looking at the K&N Air Filter, K&N Gold Oil filter and switching to Mobile 1 Synth... I'm at 33k and i'm a total n00b when it comes to this but I'm leaving for a 800 mile drive back to Washington and would like to change over before I take off.

Thx!
The K&N is a great idea. I love mine.

Oil filter, either Toyota one or the Fram Extra guard will work fine. Just avoid the plain Fram one and you are good to go.

When it comes to oil it's always better to switch to Mobil 1 sooner than later. You should be able to make the switch with no problems. Personally, I go 5K between oil changes with the Mobil 1

P.S. Have a safe and fun trip and report back when you return.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how do i reset the maintenance light and how could i change it to 10k miles instead of 5k miles? i know it says you can change it every 15k, do you guys wait that long?
Old 07-02-2006, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by asthmatic
how do i reset the maintenance light and how could i change it to 10k miles instead of 5k miles? i know it says you can change it every 15k, do you guys wait that long?
I put the Extended Performance in my car and I plan on waiting 15k to change it unless I see reason to change earlier, like 10k miles.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I honestly didn't know that one could change the milage interval there...that would be cool though. I'd like to go like 7K or so on the extended synthetic and that reminder would be easier than writing it down and forgetting to look!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by iyzmi
I put the Extended Performance in my car and I plan on waiting 15k to change it unless I see reason to change earlier, like 10k miles.
Have you looked closely how nasty the oil looks after only 5K? It is very nasty. People like the sound of being able to wait longer in between oil changes but in reality there is far too much dirt and contaminates (moisture and blowby residue) left over for the oil to absorb. These are hard working motors. Why make them suffer with dirty oil past 5K and run the risk of shortening their life just to save a few bucks. Oil changes after 5K is just cheap insurance if you want to get the max life from your engine PERIOD.
It's your car so you all can do what you want. For me I plan on getting 300K plus before I'll need an new motor.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, 1st of all, it's not acually mine, my dad wanted me to change his oil in his Rendevouz(sp). He dosn't plan on keeping it for 300k, infact as gas prices rise, he plans on selling it within the next year or two. I decided why not use it as a test vehicle. If the gas milage drops or the car starts to feel slwoer, then I'll change it again for him at like 10k or 7k...We'll see.

Quick Reply: Anyone use synthetic???