Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

buffer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 10:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default buffer

So I am tired of using paste wax and taking it off by hand. I was thinking about buying a buffer. What should I look for. I am thinking about buying the craftsman 10inch buffer specifically. Will I get swirls? Do you recommend a different brand?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hand wax is the way to go...the spinner wont leave swirls...it will actually buff the swirls out...cept the motorized waxing method will slowly deteriorate your paint due to high heat and stuff...go for it...just dont wax your car every weekend...do it like 3-4 times a year and you shouldnt have any problems...i would suggest just any portable drill with the buffer attachment...no special tool needed
Old 04-01-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ i wouldn't use the drill with attachment because the direct circular spinning of the pad is what will cause alot of heat.....you need to make sure the buffer you're looking at is a random orbital buffer......this way you could even hold the buffer in one spot without as much risk to the paint....
Old 04-01-2005, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn't use a buffer unless you have used it in the past. novice users are likely to leave swirl marks and burn the surface since they don't know how to use one. I would get a random orbital polisher as the speed is slower and will get done what you want.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's pretty difficult to leave swirl marks with the proper equipment. You can burn the paint if you're using a regular rotary buffer, but if you're using a small handheld random orbital buffer, you'll be fine.

I personally use a Porter Cable 7424 with some nice velcro pads for easy changing. I had great results on my old Jetta with this method.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use an el cheapo random orbital.....like 9 bucks at wally- worl'.....works as good as any other......
Old 04-01-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
i use an el cheapo random orbital.....like 9 bucks at wally- worl'.....works as good as any other......
I always thought the same until I bought my Porter Cable. I was blown away.

I use it with Klasse All In One and Klasse Sealer Glaze, top it with S100. Lovely.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The PC is good stuff.

I have trashed paint on my Porsche, so I went with the
DeWalt rotory buffer, but I may sell it and get the Porter
instead...the DeWalt is just too much machine for my
buffing needs right now!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just used the Ryobi 10" buffer, got it for around $30 at home depot. I used that, some rim cleaner and some tire shine stuff...I'm in love all over again with my tC. everything is so shiny now, the car looks great!

whatever you use just keep it moving. and it doesn't hurt to give the car a quick final wipe down when you're all done.

chris
Old 04-02-2005, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone heard about the meguiars buffer. its expensive. Well Im looking into the porter cable since two people have seemed to have used it before. Nevermind on the porter. Way to expensive for me. What size do you guys use? I was looking at the ten inch craftsman. I have a tC. What size do you recommend? 6, 7, 10?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...c7f+1112515491
Old 04-02-2005, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally don't use paste wax or a buffer...I buy Mother's Showtime spray, that works for me...just spray it on a clean rag and apply it,dries quick too and leaves a glossy shine.Paste wax leaves swirls if you use it under sunlight and it gets in to small crevices when you put it on, and if you want the job to look professional you'll need a soft toothbrush to clean all that stuff out(time comsuming)and for the buffer...don't waste your money,do it by hand,is pretty easy with Mother's Showtime!
Old 04-02-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone find anything along these prices, up to 60 max. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00910720000
NOt really able to dish out 100+ for a buffer/waxer/polisher. Or maybe we should do a group buy on these.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by J.Leon
Paste wax leaves swirls if you use it under sunlight and it gets in to small crevices when you put it on, and if you want the job to look professional you'll need a soft toothbrush to clean all that stuff out(time comsuming)and for the buffer...don't waste your money,do it by hand,is pretty easy with Mother's Showtime!
I guess that's why detailers use buffers and polishers and paste wax... </sarcasm> Also, that bit about paste wax leaving swirl marks is 100% false.

btw, just so you know, Showtime is not a wax, it's a quick detailer.

Originally Posted by Mother's Website
CALIFORNIA GOLD®
SHOWTIME® INSTANT DETAILER
Treat your paint to a Showtime® sparkle that's wet and striking. Whether you want to clear a layer of dust or prepare for the judges, use Showtime® Instant Detailer. This unique formula will clean off fingerprints, smudges and dust, and hide minor imperfections and spiderwebbing. We didn't create this stuff with magic-it's designed with color enhancers and shine fortifiers, ready whenever you need your ride to look freshly detailed.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by J.Leon
I personally don't use paste wax or a buffer...I buy Mother's Showtime spray, that works for me...just spray it on a clean rag and apply it,dries quick too and leaves a glossy shine.Paste wax leaves swirls if you use it under sunlight and it gets in to small crevices when you put it on, and if you want the job to look professional you'll need a soft toothbrush to clean all that stuff out(time comsuming)and for the buffer...don't waste your money,do it by hand,is pretty easy with Mother's Showtime!
Paste wax doesn't leave swirls. The sun doesn't have anything to do with swirls! LOL It's what you apply and take it off with that leaves those swirls. And whoever heard of waxing in the sun anyway! LOL Use a good micofiber towel to take it off.

BTW Showtime isn't a wax. It doesn't protect your paint from harmfull containments. And if you do want a good QD buy Meg's Pro Final Inspection. Way better than Showtime.

I use a Porter Cable 7424 Random-Orbital buffer on mine. You can't harm or burn the paint at all with it. Much better than doing it by hand. Read more about it here and a good how-to on it:
http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you guys talked me into the 7424. after a few minutes of google searching I found...

http://www.northwestpowertools.com/polish/7424.htm

it's only $109 with free shipping. I just ordered one. it's saturday night, I'll post up here when I get it.

chris
Old 04-03-2005, 10:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: buffer

Originally Posted by bubblemyster
So I am tired of using paste wax and taking it off by hand. I was thinking about buying a buffer. What should I look for. I am thinking about buying the craftsman 10inch buffer specifically. Will I get swirls? Do you recommend a different brand?
Craftsman makes great tools, but I'm none too sure about their power tools. Since you don't have experience with a rotary buffer, I suggest you make a quick trip to your local junkyard, and pick up a painted car part. Anything... A hood, a door panel, something exterior and painted, and try out the rotary buffer on that first.

Rotory buffers are great, they save time, and leave an unparalelled shine. But, they can also burn the paint right off your car if you don't know what you're doing.

Since all Toyotas have especially thin paint, I'd practice awhile before attempting it on my own car.

**Edit... My bad. LoPro, I just read your post. PorterCable makes a rotary buffer? Hawt. Does it adjust it's speed to keep from burning paint, or is it just lower speed? I want a rotary for my car, I'm just afraid of the paint burn...
Old 04-03-2005, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: buffer

Originally Posted by Somnambulated
Originally Posted by bubblemyster
Craftsman makes great tools, but I'm none too sure about their power tools. Since you don't have experience with a rotary buffer, I suggest you make a quick trip to your local junkyard, and pick up a painted car part. Anything... A hood, a door panel, something exterior and painted, and try out the rotary buffer on that first.

Rotory buffers are great, they save time, and leave an unparalelled shine. But, they can also burn the paint right off your car if you don't know what you're doing.

Since all Toyotas have especially thin paint, I'd practice awhile before attempting it on my own car.

**Edit... My bad. LoPro, I just read your post. PorterCable makes a rotary buffer? Hawt. Does it adjust it's speed to keep from burning paint, or is it just lower speed? I want a rotary for my car, I'm just afraid of the paint burn...
No the one I use isn't rotary. It's a Dual-Action Random-Orbital buffer. So it doesn't spin in one direction. They spin at a kinda oval pattern. That's why they can't burn the paint or cause any other harm to the finish.

But yeah if you were to buy a rotary buffer, you would need a pro to show you how to use it. If you've never used a rotary don't go buy one and try it out. Get yourself one like I do and you can get very good results with it. I'd say 80% of Autopia's members use it.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by chris0
you guys talked me into the 7424. after a few minutes of google searching I found...

http://www.northwestpowertools.com/polish/7424.htm

it's only $109 with free shipping. I just ordered one. it's saturday night, I'll post up here when I get it.

chris
You'll love it! Get yourself some Meg's #83 and say bye bye to swirl marks.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone know how to clean the engine bay area?

Quick Reply: buffer