Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

'Check Engine', 'VSC', 'TRAC OFF' lights on my xB

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member

When this same problem occurred for me, I cleaned and tightened the gas cap, then disconnected the battery cables for about 15 minutes, and then presto, no more idiot lights. I assume that by resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery cables, if something was wrong, after reconnecting the cables the idiot lights would come back on, right?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

cleaning the gas cap...what have ECUS come too?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The "trac off" and "vsc" lights (and obviously the airbag) both came on when i changed steering wheels also. Im going to take to the dealer sometime soon hopefully it can be taken care of. Will these lights being on hurt performance in any way?? A reply here said the gas mileage would suffer. Does anyone know any FACTS?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member

Jones, just try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then connecting it again.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tried that man, didnt work, thanx though
Old 08-28-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn... this many people with the lights on. well, mine is also on and it idles like crap and once reached 3000 rpm, it boggs.

did anyone experience this? I took my batt terminal off to clean the corrosion and after I was done, termonal cables back on and this all started to happen. The car will run, I had to drive it to work and back today but I like said, it bogs after 3000 rpm.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MicroVan
damn... this many people with the lights on. well, mine is also on and it idles like crap and once reached 3000 rpm, it boggs.

did anyone experience this? I took my batt terminal off to clean the corrosion and after I was done, termonal cables back on and this all started to happen. The car will run, I had to drive it to work and back today but I like said, it bogs after 3000 rpm.
My car ran great... just had the lights on.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok guys, I went Advandce Auto here in va beach and they scanned my puter for free. it provided the following errors.

DTC (Codes)

P0103
MAF or VAF
Circuit High Input

DTC (Pending Codes)

P0101
MAF or VAF
CKT Range/Perf

P0103
MAF or VAF
Circuit High Input

any words? :-/
Old 08-29-2006, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My car rand good with the lights on, only a little slower off the line. Turns out my timing chain was off 4 teeth.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member

Default Check Engine . VSC, Trac Off

MEE TOO!!!
I was told it's just the sensor and they are replacing it, I hope it isn't anything more!
Old 09-15-2006, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member

Default Check Engine . VSC, Trac Off

MEE TOO!!!
I was told it's just the sensor and they are replacing it, I hope it isn't anything more!
I hate those lights! They've reset the sensor several times,,,
Check Engine, VSC, Trac Off GO AWAY!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Check Engine . VSC, Trac Off

Originally Posted by assi1em

MEE TOO!!!
You know, my problem was the MAF sensor. I bought one off ebay for like 46 bucks shipped, slapped it in and all problems solved. how is your car running?

what did you do that caused the lights to appear?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member

My car needed a new cam shaft?...
They replaced it and the lights haven't come back on. Yippy!!!
It's weird that o many people have had that exact same problem. All around the same mileage too! Well, the dealership told me that all of the lights come on whenever anything is wrong so we could all have a different problem. I'm not sure what caused it but I'm very happy those pesky lgihts are no longer lit!
Old 12-31-2006, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Trac off

Originally Posted by MADD1
Recently I had this problem, I had changed my gas cap to one that wasn't emissions correct. I recently read about this in this forum. after I put the oem cap back on and reset the lights by pulling the EFI fuse for a few seconds the lighs went out and haven't come back on.

My vsc light and trac off light came on after i hooked up a after market tac and i keep reading about this EFI fuse but cant figure out where it is ? so where can i find this fuse?
Old 12-31-2006, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default vsc & trac light on

i would like to know where the EFI fuse is located on the xb
Old 01-19-2007, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member

So do we have a definitive answer as to what these warning lights mean? My '05 with just under 72K lit up tonight with the VSC/TRAC OFF/CHECK ENGINE light combo. Seems to be driving okay, I can't tell a difference in anything. I've been using a shop for service that's not my original dealer... do I have to go to the dealer for a warranty thing like this might be?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member

Update from my post last night... I filled up this morning, and the lights went off! They had come on when the gas gauge was between halfway and a quarter tank left. Very strange, I guess I'll need to keep my eye on it.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Same warning lights - dealer diagnosis

My '06 xB had this same group of lights come on. Once in awhile they are not on, but are mostly all the time. My dealer said it was the cam timing gear, and that he has seen it on a couple other xB's. They are replacing it under warranty (my lights came on around 25,000 miles, and I now have close to 29,000 in my first year. I'll update to let you know if it worked.

UPDATE: I got it fixed under warranty last week, the tsc works again, and the lights are now off. They said they replaced the cam timing gear.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Last night @ 38,??? miles the VSC, TRAC OFF, and CEL all came on but the car ran normal and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary...I have had my intake on for about a year with no problems...The lights stayed on for about 35 miles, then I shut the car off and let it sit for a few minutes...Started it back up and the lights were now off...Drove it home another 35 miles and the lights did not come back on...Not sure what the problem was...I did nothing to reset the lights, they just went off on there own...
Old 03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well, my RS2 with 54k miles on it has the issue now.

I was driving back to the office from lunch and the CEL/VSC/TRAC OFF lights all came on. I stopped by my dealer (it was on the way), and they said they were swamped and for me not to worry and bring it back in the morning...so....

(and yes, it has the yellow powdercoated Scion/AEM CAI)

Quick Reply: 'Check Engine', 'VSC', 'TRAC OFF' lights on my xB