Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

'Check Engine', 'VSC', 'TRAC OFF' lights on my xB

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OK guys' here's mine:
disconnected the battery
swapped new tails in
reconnected battery
checked lights
-no problem-
disconnected the battery
cleaned up my amp wiring which was messy and unfinished
reconnected battery

got a rough idle immediately
and won't rev above 3000rpms
read p103 code (MAF)
pulled the mass air off my 2 week old Fujita CAI, cleaned both and reinstalled
reset ecu
codes popped again and problem persists
Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Survey Says!: Dead mass air, dealer looked at it and replace the sensor, said it was a surge in the electrical, probably from disconnecting the battery. i was assured it was not my CAI which was surprising to me
Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member

Ok I have posted with this issue before. The same 3 lights come on all the time on my box. I have a 2005 and about 68000 miles on it. It seems that they come on after I get gas or when the gas gauge gets to 3/4 or 1/4. I experience no issues that I can tell. After driving and stopping about 5-8 time with engine shut down and restart the lights go away. Sometimes they go off while driving.
Box is stock no mods...
Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yay today I got the same lights come one & i have 65k miles. It had me freaked out 'cause i just picked up my car sat after getting the turbo installed so I instantly thought it had something to do w/ that.

After going to Auto Zone, the reading came back with a P0172 and says faulty O2 sensor or MAF sensor so we'll see

Trying the disconnect the battery idea right now so hope that works!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:35 AM

Forget the battery, just pull the fuse for 60 seconds. Under the hood, near the battery under a small cover, the EFI fuse I believe.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that would make it that much easier
Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i didn't find a EFI fuse, i found a EFI relay, but that didn't do the trick. I'll keep looking
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 PM

Default Some advice please

2005 Scion XB

Okay, I got the same three lights that everyone has been talking about, but here's the thing: I went out and bought a scanner and as soon as I plugged it in, the lights went away. In the stored code window it told me that the code was "p0012" (camshaft retard timing). I cleared the memory on the scanner and ran the scan again...it came up with nothing and lights will not come back. It's only been a day, but I'm trying to figure out what happened.

There are zero mods on the car and the initial fault lights happened while driving on the freeway. I haven't noticed any change in engine performance whatsoever and no funky sounds under the hood.

Could it be that the initial fault was a glitch of some sort or do you think it will come back in a day or two when the computer picks up on the problem again?

keep in mind, I didn't clear the fault myself, it cleared on its own as soon as I plugged the scanner in.

I'd appreciate some feed back, it IS my first time using a scanner as well, I'm more of an "old school" car guy.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have found this thread very useful when my xB's lights were on last Saturday. The lights went away Sunday and Monday and it came back on today. The VIN falls into the range of the TSB EG0307 found on Tomas's docs link. I have made appointment with a dealer tomorrow. Hopefully it is the same P0012 problem so that the fixing is covered under the 60,000 powertrain warranty. My car has 38k now.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Update:

The lights were not on this morning when I dropped it off at the dealer. I was told that they can pull the code even the lights went away. Just got a phone call from them. No surprise, the rep told me that it is the VVT problem which is everyone talks about in this thread. The problem has been fixed with no charge under the 60,000 powertrain warranty.
Thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread!

About the dealership pricing:
I went to three dealers for a quote on pulling the code, their prices vary from $120 to $90 and I ended up with the $90 one. If this is not some other issues that are not covered by the warranty, it is still better to pay them $90 to pull the code. I wondered when the service department will have the Scion's pure pricing policy.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:45 AM

Default Same ol'

Well, the lights haven't come back on for three days now, but I don't know if there is really a problem or not. As far as pulling the code goes, I just went and picked up my own diagnostic scanner for $80. You can get them cheaper, but this one sees pretty good. If the dealers are charging $90-$130 just for the scan, buying your own is even cheaper AND you can do it as often as you want. Just FYI.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Same ol'

Thanks Josh!

Where did you buy that scanner? I'd like to be prepared if it happened again.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lancerjin
Update:

The lights were not on this morning when I dropped it off at the dealer. I was told that they can pull the code even the lights went away. Just got a phone call from them. No surprise, the rep told me that it is the VVT problem which is everyone talks about in this thread. The problem has been fixed with no charge under the 60,000 powertrain warranty.
Thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread!

About the dealership pricing:
I went to three dealers for a quote on pulling the code, their prices vary from $120 to $90 and I ended up with the $90 one. If this is not some other issues that are not covered by the warranty, it is still better to pay them $90 to pull the code. I wondered when the service department will have the Scion's pure pricing policy.
The same thing has happened to me.On a long drive from Florida to Massachusetts, the lights came on. Next morning they were off. Fast forward a week, they came on again. I came to this site and did the remove fuse trick, lights went out , came on next day. Made appointment with Copeland Scion, Brocktom MA last Friday for Monday. Lights went out over the weekend, still took it to the dealership, the code came up, P0012 timing gear failed. They called me to tell me that the new one was frozen right out of the box, would have to keep overnight. It was fixed by 10 AM this morning , no charge. The only thing we noticed was a lack of power, no other noise or anyhting else. BTW we have 20,400 miles on an 06. It looked like it would have been over $700.00 for the job including $100 diagnostic charge.
Thanks to all that contribute to this site, a big help. It also mentioned TSB EG003-07

Rich
Old 05-05-2009, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I am glad you had it fixed at no charge. I don't notice any power change after the work. Maybe I am not very sentative. Anyway, 20,400 for an 06 is very low to me considering you have long drive from Florida to MA. Mine has almost 40k now. (There are people who have more than 80K)

Originally Posted by poorman148
The same thing has happened to me.On a long drive from Florida to Massachusetts, the lights came on. Next morning they were off. Fast forward a week, they came on again. I came to this site and did the remove fuse trick, lights went out , came on next day. Made appointment with Copeland Scion, Brocktom MA last Friday for Monday. Lights went out over the weekend, still took it to the dealership, the code came up, P0012 timing gear failed. They called me to tell me that the new one was frozen right out of the box, would have to keep overnight. It was fixed by 10 AM this morning , no charge. The only thing we noticed was a lack of power, no other noise or anyhting else. BTW we have 20,400 miles on an 06. It looked like it would have been over $700.00 for the job including $100 diagnostic charge.
Thanks to all that contribute to this site, a big help. It also mentioned TSB EG003-07

Rich
Old 05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="lancerjin"]I am glad you had it fixed at no charge. I don't notice any power change after the work. Maybe I am not very sentative. Anyway, 20,400 for an 06 is very low to me considering you have long drive from Florida to MA. Mine has almost 40k now. (There are people who have more than 80K)

We had a loss of power before the fix. Yes we put 3500 miles on it this winter backand forth to Florida. It is my wifes car and she only puts on about 4k a year, it really is like new.

Did youy ever find out where Josh got his scanner?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sorry, Josh has not replied to me yet. Maybe he forgot