Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Could use some help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 PM

Default Could use some help!

Hi all! I'm trying to learn to fix things on my XBs. My wife and I both have 2005s, mine standard, hers auto. I've only fixed a few things in the past, but would like to rely less on a mechanic.

Any help appreciated!

1) Back bottom corner of bumper is loose from backing into snow. Anyone know what "snaps/screws" I need to fix? Nothing is broken, it just needs new clips.

2) Mine is now throwing a code PO1071, which is emissions. It runs perfectly, so I don't think it's a faulty MAF, so I'm wondering what I can do to root out what might be throwing the code? Are there quick tests/fixes you can recommend?

3) I SAY it runs fine, but I'm having a few "noises": it squeals when it's cold and I first start driving, for about 10-30 seconds. I sprayed my belts, which helped a bit, but still squealed a bit this a.m. When I turn off the heater, it will sometimes immediately stop the squealing. And thoughts?

4) It's loud when I drive over 40, like a howl. My guess is it's the loose bumper and the splash guard is also hanging loose. Can anyone recommend a splash guard to replace it with? The whole splash guard is a sagging mess. At one point, the passenger side was flapping down and rubbing the inside of my tire, which was really loud. I used duct tape on that (I know) and it's now time to replace it.

THANKS!
Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. If the clips are in there and secure, then something is cracked or a tab is cracked. The absence of a clip however will cause your bumper to move around. I've never seen a clip go bad. The eye holes might cracked and you just didn't notice [?] I don't know. Otherwise, just go to the dealership and pick up a few. They're like $2 a piece or something.

2. Emission is directly related to exhaust, not intake. I would start with O2 sensor, or catalytic converter, or exhaust leak/rusted hole. It's going to be one of those things.

3. I mean, it's an old car bud. If she's just squealing on cold start up, then a pulley bearing is worn out. I doubt it's your belt because it's not continuous, and the pulley isn't entirely bad. Pulleys and belts will stop squealing however after being warmed up even they are bad, but the fact that it's not even for a minute tells me you're in good shape.

4. A bumper might cause a howl, but I'm not sure. I mean, these cars aren't aerodynamic to say the least, but sometimes that noise is tire/road noise too, so you're tires might have seen better days.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

1) Yes, I can see the eye hole, it's not cracked at all, but there is no clip in there at all either. Maybe I just happened to hit it at the exact right angle to cut it in half, and right speed to cause no other damage? haha. I was just hoping to avoid the dealership too, but at $2, I'll swing by for these.

2) Thanks man. I'll start poking around.

3) Yeah, she's old, but it's a Toyota, and at 107k, hoping she lasts a lot longer than this. ;-) I forgot to say, on occasion, it will start squealing again while driving, usually from a stop at a light, but again, for less than 30 seconds. As it gets warmer, I'll see if it continues and go from there. It didn't squeal at all today (it was near 40)

4. I've been keeping an eye on my tires and they aren't wearing bad, I thought that too, but I'll try to get it in to ay tire place to have a look. And yeah, we had a few wind storms of late and man, these things like to rock!

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm glad none of these things sound alarming to you!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha. Yeah for sure. I hear you. Let us know your progress and what you find and what you fix, or don't fix for that matter. Haha.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

new belts and or tighten them up a bit... belt dressing is a waste of money and it is very messy to deal with