Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Dealer applied clear coat (type thing)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dealer applied clear coat (type thing)?

Have any of you bought that $500 paint treatment option offered by the dealer. I was told that Scions had no clear coat as part of thier paint job.

Should I just give the thing a few coats of wax. or should I pay them $500 for that teflon thing
Old 09-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Banned
SL Member

Scions come with clearcoat. All cars do. Who told you? The dealer? $$$

It only cost the dealer $10-15 for that "teflon" "clearcoat." Dont do it!!

edited for content.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was the finance lady. She might not even know what a clear coat is.
So Scions are the same kind of paint application as a normal Toyota then?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:52 PM
Banned

yes
Old 09-24-2004, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member

Default Clear coat?

Don't know for sure about the clearcoat, but I know there is no wax. I mean NO WAX, NO BEADING NO WATER REPELLING COATING AT ALL. In fact I think they put bug attracting coating on my PW XB. And Them suckers embedded themselves into the windowshield. had to use some good glass cleaner tonight, the stuff in the squirters didn't help. And while I'm thinking about it, Aren't those squirters the coolest!
Try them for the first time in the middle of the night half asleep going down a dark road. WOW!
Agent Orange in the Space Box
Old 09-24-2004, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So should I just give this a couple health coats of wax then. Fresh from the dealer.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes
Old 09-24-2004, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got it for my xb, but because it warranties the stuff scion doesnt warranty, like fading of paint and stuff and industrial fallout. i work at a foundry and another is a block or so from my place. so it covers the crap in the air from the foundry
Old 09-24-2004, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is all it basically is is a wax. I got it when I bought my Type-R and they gave me the bottle, all it was was a wax. Save the money and buy Zaino. You'd be better off in the long run. Just my $.02.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

she is on crack...if it had no clear coat it would look like those old dull muscle cars.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by keebie
i got it for my xb, but because it warranties the stuff scion doesnt warranty, like fading of paint and stuff and industrial fallout. i work at a foundry and another is a block or so from my place. so it covers the crap in the air from the foundry
I can't vouch for it covering industrial fallout, but anytime you got fading paint within 5 years/60 miles on your box (or any toyota) it's covered by the manufacturer under the anti-perforation warranty that comes with each of the vehicles...That warranty includes fading/oxidized paint, rust, and any cracking or bubbling one might encounter in their paint as well :D

DAN
Old 09-25-2004, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In the long run, you are likely to be unhappy with any dealer-applied clear-coat. For a coating to be effective, it must be applied to a _very_ clean and dry surface that has been prepared properly. What are the chances of an average dealer employee making sure that every single surface on the car is clean and dry before proceeding? Cars generally arrive at the dealership rather dirty after their long trip from Aichin. All they have to do is miss one spot and the coating (if it is like clearcoat) will start to peel from that spot.

Luckily, most of the dealer-applied coatings are little more than wax. They don't do anything more than wax, but at least they won't get cloudy and peel, and empty the customer's wallet.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 7red7
Originally Posted by keebie
I can't vouch for it covering industrial fallout, but anytime you got fading paint within 5 years/60 miles on your box (or any toyota) it's covered by the manufacturer under the anti-perforation warranty that comes with each of the vehicles...That warranty includes fading/oxidized paint, rust, and any cracking or bubbling one might encounter in their paint as well :D

DAN
I don't know if your talking about buying an additional clearcoat/warranty package but I understood the corrosion/preforation warranty to mean rust that penetrates the metal and not fading paint. I don't think that paint deterioration is covered would be covered unless you purchase a sealant package which is usually a polymer or acrylic coating. I have also never heard of a dealer offering just a wax protection and if they are, that is a huge rip-off.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They said the coating was a teflon. not sure what catagory that would go in.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by typhoonorchid
They said the coating was a teflon. not sure what catagory that would go in.
Probably "snake oil!" Teflon is a great anti-friction material for sliding surfaces, but it isn't all that good at taking UV exposure.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't do it! That Teflon coating is a load of crap. All they do is wax your car.

When I bought my Matrix they told me they would "throw in" the teflon coating, but when I checked my final paperwork, sure enough $499 was on there. And when I took delivery, I could still see some of the left over wax on my bumper!

I didn't fall for it when I got my xB. Besides, DuPont sells Teflon wax now. You can find it at Pep Boys, and Wal-Mart. It's really thick wax and takes some elbow grease to buff off, but I'm sure you could do a better job applying it than some guy that works at the dealership.

Trust me, it's not paint, or coating, or any special chemical... It's just wax. You're better off waxing it yourself.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

best types of wax? and where to buy for a good deal
Old 04-14-2005, 10:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got the armor all paint sealant put on my xB. Several people told me I should get this it was about $800.00. Person at the dealer said would never have to was the car and be careful not put any wax on the car. What does everyone think? I think I got ripped
Old 04-14-2005, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say stay far away from any of these deals from the dealers. I believe they are just doing a crappy job of waxing your car and changing you hundreds for it. I highly doubt they prep the surface of the paint properly to do a good wax job.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by caringman42
Just got the armor all paint sealant put on my xB. Several people told me I should get this it was about $800.00. Person at the dealer said would never have to was the car and be careful not put any wax on the car. What does everyone think? I think I got ripped
How long is the warranty? It should cost approximately $100 per year of warranty. IMO. Did they give you anything else included like Undercoating or a Fabric Protectant?

Quick Reply: Dealer applied clear coat (type thing)?